Two Wheel Forums banner

Understanding 520 coversions

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
So I get this question in my PM. Its not the first time... and I will quote my response...

Question?
What does a 520 conversion help?
I understand the gearing change, but why the 520 from the stock 525? :idk:
Gas Man said:
Those numbers are the numbers that determine the width of the chain. The higher the number the wider the chain. The wider the chain the more tensile strength the chain has, which means you can put more power thru the chain. However, most manufactures put on much higher 525 & 530 chains when a 520 will do. But you have to get a good chain... I suggest only DiD and Renthol sprockets. However, a RK chain isn't bad either other than the DiD have higer tensile strengths and looks nicer.

Ok... now the advantage.. the smaller the chain the less weight to the chain. The less weight to the chain the less rotational mass you have. Rotational mass is a multipling thing... you take the weight of the chain and times it by "pie" (3.14) that is how much it weights when you spin it around and around and around.

What does the weight do? It eats horsepower. You know how your engine may put out 150 hp but you only put down 125 at the rear wheel... those 25 lost horses are lost in the drivetrain... tranny, sprockets, chain, wheels, tires, ect... Less weight you have in your chain, and rims the less power you will loose between the motor and the pavement. Which means more power to the pavement.

Did that make sense? Were you able to follow?

Reactions: SVRider
#12 ·
That's why its important to run case hardened alum sprockets. There are even some other brands that intergrate steel and alum on the sprockets.

As far as 1000 cc bikes... I knew guys using 520 setups on RC51 bikes. That's a 1000cc and ALOT more torque than say a R1.
Can it be done with the bigger bikes without any real problems? Of course. Would I recommend it? Not really. The stock chain is just fine 90% of the time.

The only reason those bigger bikes have bigger chains is for longevity purposes... The tensile strength of a 520 chain is much higher than the forces being applied to it... That being said, it will stretch faster and therefore weaken faster on a high output machine vs. a low output machine...

#10 ·
That's why its important to run case hardened alum sprockets. There are even some other brands that intergrate steel and alum on the sprockets.

As far as 1000 cc bikes... I knew guys using 520 setups on RC51 bikes. That's a 1000cc and ALOT more torque than say a R1.

#19 ·
I think you misunderstood.. He stated that you lose about 25 ponies throughout the whole drivetrain.. The chain is just one part of this so lightening this part may only make you lose 20 hp throughout the whole drivetrain verses the stock 25.. :2cents:

#18 ·
Thanks Gas Man.
i have this conversion. My bike guy suggested it. He knows I ride street and track. He put all Vortex on my bike :dthumb: (It was free as I won a raffle at his Customer Appreciation Day)
Now I understand better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.