Two Wheel Forums banner

TL1000R Motor Swap HELP!

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  HoldnItBig 
#1 ·
I am about to pick up a 2000 TLR. The guy that I am buying it from has a new motor for it because the other one had a knock. Hes selling me everything for 3400.00 with a ton of mods and 2 sets of plastics. I thinks its a damn good deal. Clean CT title and everything. Only thing is I have to put this new motor in. I have done a ton of searches and have come up empty on how to do a TLR motor swap. I just need to know how to bolt the damn thing in and hook everything up so I don't mess it up. Can anyone help me, or does anyone want to help me I am in MD....lol.

Thanks Kevin

#2 ·
yeah get a manual. lots of hoses and wires hidden on those big twins.
i took the moter out of my dads tls when i shot teh chain through the case. pain in the butt. looked at the manual many many times.:2cents:

#4 ·
Ha yea thats what I was thinkn I have done a ton of car motors "LS1's" and they actually have a website called LS1howto.com. Tell you how to do everything. I was kinda looking for a step by step on how to do this. I don't think it could be that hard but you never know and I have never done a bike motor before. I will have to see if I can obtain a manual. Thanks

#5 ·
True, I am looking to get this and sell some of the stuff off of and sell the other set of plastics, so basically get the bike for 3400 sell some of the parts and end up making 5-800. And then sell the bike. So who knows I have had one in the past and loved it, I might just sell some of the parts and keep the damn thing....lol. Just need to get her running first. The guy thats selling it said there are 8 bolts total that hold it in? 4 on each side?

#6 ·
If you're doing a TLR to TLR motor swap it shouldn't be that bad. I pulled a motor out of a TLS once. It had like 6 motor mounts but it came out. Of coarse I didn't have to keep track of what went where cause it was a wrecked bike and I was parting it out...

But anyway, just take notes and pics of everything you do. Especially wires. I have did this before on car motor swaps and that combined with a service manual will save your arse!

#8 ·
Done a ton of swaps with car motors and the same things apply, mark every wire and hose you disconnect, I use a sharpie and masking tape, and take photos before you start. Put a label on each side of the connection and label it, you can be as simple as starting with A and work your way up so in the end A goes to A, B goes to B etc.... May not be quite as important with the bike but I also like to get plastic bags and label them with the bolts and other hardware I remove so I know where it goes back to in the end. and $50-70 for a manual is a great investment anyway so now would be a great time. good luck :cheers:

#9 ·
Heres the thing, the bike already has the motor out and with the purchase of this bike comes the new motor....so I really don't have anything to mark or go off of because the old one has already been taken out. I talked to one of the service guys at my local bike shop and said he trys to stay away from TL's because they are a pita, and he has never had much luck with them. But he could help me put the motor in the frame.....so I duno....all I am really looking to do is put it back in and get it running like it should and sell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.