Two Wheel Forums banner

Buell engines

13K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  JJFast 
#1 ·
Why hasn't Buell taken advantage of the 60 degree liquid cooled, fuel injected twin that Harley is putting in the VRSC? Is it too big, too heavy? I mean there seems to be so much more advantages with the 60 over the 45 in a sport bike :idk: I hear the Buell's are already extremely nimble so a few extra pounds for the huge performance boost and a better sound (imo) is worth it, right? I wonder if we'll see some 60's from Buell in the future..

#7 ·
#3 ·
I have a couple guesses...

1) Weight. Don't remember the specifics, but I have seen actual weights for the two engines... The one currently in use is MUCH lighter.
2) Complexity. Buell is all about K.I.S.S. Liquid cooling is just more complexity.
3) Size. Buell has the shortest wheelbases of any sportbikes... Ain't gonna happen if they try to cram in a 60 V-Twin anything... Plus radiator, etc.

#4 ·
Yeah good point about the wheel base. I really wish the Buell's were 600cc I-4's. I'd defiantly make one my first bike. Don't think I want to make my first bike one with a heavy fly wheel that has no engine brake, and completely different handling than any other bike.

#5 ·
like O.S.P. said the v-rod motor is just to big to fit in the frame of the buells plus i dont think there'd even be enough room for the radiator and hoses, but who knows engineers can make anything work.

Reactions: marko138
#14 ·
You have to remember a few facts about Buells...

The SPortster engine has been the choice of HD Racers for 50 years because it has always put out more power per pound than any other HD motor, and that includes the VRod.

The Buell was designed around the Sportster motor and not designed like a lot of bikes are, around the frame and the motor being an afterthought. With the motor being a stress member and part of the frame, you can't just stick another motor in there either! It would require re-engineering the entire bike for a less capable motor.

Cost is also a factor. You can take a stock Sportster engine and get gobs of power out of it a lot cheaper than you can buy a stock VRod motor. The price of the Buell would shoot up by a hefty percentage and that is not even taking the R&R amortization into account.

Last, and to the HD enthusiast, certainly not least, is that the Sportster is pure HD while the VRod does not have the same heritage (sound, feel, history). Some people feel that it is a step forward, but a lot of us are not as enamoured with change for change's sake.

#15 ·
That is true Preacher... even though the V-rod has been around there are alot of peeps that don't like it and its glycol. However, the real old schoolers don't even like the Evo motor and REALLY don't like the twin cam.

#18 ·
I really think they need to scrap the POS trany before they start to worry about the power plant. While the bike may be a bit down on top end HP it is still a stump puller down low but the trany on these is defiantly not up to snuff under any measurement of a modern sports bike. I find it hard to believe they kept a 5 speed grinder box that is about the worst trany I have ever had in any bike I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of bike over the years, when they redesigned the bike back in 2003.

#24 ·
I wouldn't suggest that. Most companies would not suggest synthetic oils till after 3,000 miles. When I switched on my chop.. I switch to synth oil in my primary, engine, and tranny. Haven't noticed any difference in the primary. But the motors valve train is quieter. And the tranny is smoother and less clunking.

I'm sorry but I don't know this next thing..

Does the Buells run seperate oils. engine, primary, tranny??? I might be able to give some good suggestions if so...

#26 ·
Since that Buell is owned by Harley-Davidson and Harley is controlling the money, you're not going to see a lot of research and development to be spent for hotrodding an engine for the Buells. Buell sales are not exactly spectacular so HD isn't going to spend the extra bucks (even though they can afford it). Say what you will about The Motor Company, they do know how to make money.

America's motorcycling pride isn't about making the fastest bikes any more. America's motorcycling pride is about "coolness" and "attitude", hence HD is selling like hot cakes to all of those people who grew up wanna be like Peter Fonda's Easy Rider or playing Billy Badass Hell's Angels marauders.

The supposedly hardcore riders claim that Harleys are made for long distance cruising. Pray tell then why is it that when I do interstate ridings I usually see Goldwings and BMW touring bikes (and a red Aprilia:wink: )?

Back in the days the Sportster was made to combat British sport bikes. The VR1000 made a brief appearance that made my heart fluttered and then HD took a stake to it like I was a vampire.

Believe it or not, Americans do want a competitive American sport bike. But the only joint that has the moolah to do so won't make it.

I'm not a mechanical engineer so I can't say with certainty, but I'm sure that with R&D even the 45-degree aircool V-twin can be made to be highly competitive. No, it will never put out the oomph of the watercooled V-twin or the watercooled I-4, but it can be made competitive. Just look at the BMW R1200S: 1200-cc aircooled flat twin churning out 122-hp and 82-lbft of torque. Kicking ass against the watercooled V-twin and competitive against the watercooled I-4. Who had ever heard of that? But BMW just placed mid-pack in the Le Mans endurance racing against Japanese and Italian liter I-4s. Hell, it even beat out the Ducati 1098 and the MV Agusta F4 1000.

All it takes is commitment and money from Harley-Davidson to make Buell great. But you won't see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.