nail in tire - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 444
nail in tire

get up wash my bike for the first time...ride it into work...get lots of compliments...then get done work hop on 95 to go to my girls house, ride up there park her up...

guess what? i notice something that appears to be a rock in the tire...so i look its a freakin nail i pressed to see how bad it was and when i pressed down i hear *sssss* and stopped pressing and it was fine...i checked the pressure and its fine but my question is...can a bike tire be plugged?

i hope cause these are brand tires less than 500 miles so i dont wana have to buy new ones
ls1ssws6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 08:51 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
get up wash my bike for the first time...ride it into work...get lots of compliments...then get done work hop on 95 to go to my girls house, ride up there park her up...

guess what? i notice something that appears to be a rock in the tire...so i look its a freakin nail i pressed to see how bad it was and when i pressed down i hear *sssss* and stopped pressing and it was fine...i checked the pressure and its fine but my question is...can a bike tire be plugged?

i hope cause these are brand tires less than 500 miles so i dont wana have to buy new ones
it can but i wouldnt recomend it, too much presure differences and stuff, jus spend the money on a new tyre, then yul feel safer
stomper173 is offline  
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM
First 1000 Member
 
KillerTiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Riva Fallz, MA
Posts: 708
Send a message via AIM to KillerTiller
funny i had the same thing happen to me......rode to work on Thursday, then was going for a ride early sat morning and wham! nail in rear tire. Good thing the tire is nearly bald and needs replacing anyway but I think you will hafta replace that tire cause i don't believe they recommend patching motorcycle tires....

"Run Your Bike, Not Your Mouth"
KillerTiller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
it really depends on where the nail is located. If it's the rear tire...I'm assuming, and center of the tread...then a sticky plug will do just fine, don't get a patch...use a sticky plug.
I've had this happen a few times and never had a problem.

If it's the front tire I wouldn't recomend it, but it can be done.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1up0n1
it really depends on where the nail is located. If it's the rear tire...I'm assuming, and center of the tread...then a sticky plug will do just fine, don't get a patch...use a sticky plug.
I've had this happen a few times and never had a problem.

If it's the front tire I wouldn't recomend it, but it can be done.
but like we said, not recomended
stomper173 is offline  
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 10:45 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1up0n1
it really depends on where the nail is located. If it's the rear tire...I'm assuming, and center of the tread...then a sticky plug will do just fine, don't get a patch...use a sticky plug.
I've had this happen a few times and never had a problem.

If it's the front tire I wouldn't recomend it, but it can be done.
This is true and one of those debated topics. It all depends on you.

No dice if its the front tire seems to be agreement.
Rear... depends on where on the tire and how you ride.

Remember this... above all!

You only ride on 2 tires! If one has a hole in it, with a nail or a plug. That tire has been comprimised and you are only riding on 50% of good tires.

Take that for what you want!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 11:38 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,017
3k miles on a gooey plugged rear tire and still no air loss.
if you drop your $500 helmet, it's been comprimised. would you fix it or buy a new one? it's your decision.
i've raced plugged tires and have ridden many street plugged tires.
i've also used inner patches for car tires. those are tricky. 20% of them leaked and had to be redone. i've patched about 50+ car tires and about 6 motorcycle tires.
i've only used the gooey plugs for motorcycles because they flex more and are prone to abuse.
theoretically, the broken metal strands in the belts will eventually saw off those solid plugs. I haven't seen one happen so i feel more comfortable with a gooey plug.
the problem with inner patch is preparation work. the inside rubber needs to be buffed. for motorcycle tires, it is very touchy. an inexperience tech can easily buff off too much and not clean it well enough which will cause leakage.

another difficult task is reaming the nail hole to a larger size. this will enable the plug and tool to fit in.

worst case senario is a slow leak. some ppl believe plugged tires will explode on hard cornering. so far, i've never had a front tire get a nail. just learn to ride a wheelie all the way home.

-a|ex
Back _Marker is offline  
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:20 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
I would just worry that you could suddenly loose tire pressure causing il-riding effects.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1up0n1
it really depends on where the nail is located. If it's the rear tire...I'm assuming, and center of the tread...then a sticky plug will do just fine, don't get a patch...use a sticky plug.
I've had this happen a few times and never had a problem.

If it's the front tire I wouldn't recomend it, but it can be done.
well i guess thats good because it is the rear tire and it is smack in the middle of the tire, not on the side...so what ill probably do is take it to a bike shop and have them use a "gooey" plug then just check the tire pressure before each ride and if its low ill just fire up the air compressor at my dads house also my tires say cold psi should be 42, when i check it was about 30 on that tire is that ok or should i get more? this was after doin some hard riding as well
ls1ssws6 is offline  
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:40 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
well i guess thats good because it is the rear tire and it is smack in the middle of the tire, not on the side...so what ill probably do is take it to a bike shop and have them use a "gooey" plug then just check the tire pressure before each ride and if its low ill just fire up the air compressor at my dads house also my tires say cold psi should be 42, when i check it was about 30 on that tire is that ok or should i get more? this was after doin some hard riding as well
your shop probably won't plug that tire due to liablilty issues....best bet is to go to autozone, advance auto, or walmart or something and buy the sticky plug and do it your self.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1up0n1
your shop probably won't plug that tire due to liablilty issues....best bet is to go to autozone, advance auto, or walmart or something and buy the sticky plug and do it your self.

ahh i see...is it hard to plug a tire yourself?
ls1ssws6 is offline  
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 11:49 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
ahh i see...is it hard to plug a tire yourself?
No its quite easy!!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
No its quite easy!!
if you can stab things, you can plug a tyre
stomper173 is offline  
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:57 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,017
here's a repost on getting screwed


use soapy water to find the leakage and to test after you plugged it.


unscrewed


I also used a drill instead of reaming it to make the hole larger

-a|ex

Last edited by Back _Marker; 07-09-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Back _Marker is offline  
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,652
Good call man, good post
stomper173 is offline  
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 06:01 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 36
Coincidence, indeed.

After getting back from a trip to Tennesse and the Honda Hoot, I finally got around to washing and polishing up my bike. I bought some rim trim at the Hoot and put that on, then took off for Curves and Karate. I thought the trim look terrific, so when I got home I asked my husband to take the bike down the street so I could see what it looked like in motion, and as he went behind the bike he spotted a screw in the back tire. We don't know how long it was, and the head was a sticking out a bit, like I'd just picked it up on our street or driveway.

Long story short, my bike's getting two new tires. Guess it's good for me that I've got about 7000 miles on those tires. (The front tire was cupping anyway.)

Anyway, my vote is to be very cautious about plugging the tire.
Hotshoe is offline  
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:21 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,314
Tip: be liberal with the cement for the sticky plug. Too much is waaaaaaay better than not enough in this case.
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 10:10 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
Tip: be liberal with the cement for the sticky plug. Too much is waaaaaaay better than not enough in this case.





-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back _Marker
here's a repost on getting screwed


use soapy water to find the leakage and to test after you plugged it.


unscrewed


I also used a drill instead of reaming it to make the hole larger

-a|ex
reaming a lil help on this one?
ls1ssws6 is offline  
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 03:24 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Use a drill and a drill bit.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome