03 R6 Cutting out????? - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
03 R6 Cutting out?????

I have a 2003 Yamaha R6 (fuel inj.) with about 11k miles. I have been trying to ride when the weather is warm (50-50) but it finally got nice the other day (70's). When I was in the middle of no where on a nice curvy road I noticed that the bike would stumble or miss on 1 or 2 cylinders at low rpms. So i figured a good run with the shift light on a couple of times would help. Even worse!!! Cuts out on 1-2 Cyl above about 10-12k. And when the bike would idle it would only hit on 2.

So Last weekend i replaced the spark plugs. All looked good, just slightly burnt electrodes. It seemed to help but when the bike gets warm, like 180 water temp, it will start to miss at idle and will still cut out at high rpms?

Any Ideas on what it might be or what to check? I thought maybe injector? but at $90 a pop that wouldn't be cheap. Thanks for any help!

Scott

Last edited by VaTechR6; 03-21-2007 at 11:01 PM.
VaTechR6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
I would say injector if it was all the time but the fact that it is only doing it when it gets warm points me towards electrical. There is going to be something electrical warming up either by faulting or from motor heat that is causing it to cut out. The problem is find this problem.... cause you have alot of electrical!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 135
my buddy has a 05 R6 , brought it to our stunt spot a few weeks ago and it was doing the same thing but only seems to be doing it when i'd slow wheelies down (kinda bogged) which surprised me for an injected bike. Ive only had problems like that on carbed bikes. Not sure whats ausing it exactly but definately seems to be something w/ the fuel cutting out.

Do R6's have a tip sensor like the hondas? Im not really familiar w/ them
HiLi_Psyclez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechR6 View Post
I have a 2003 Yamaha R6 (fuel inj.) with about 11k miles. I have been trying to ride when the weather is warm (50-50) but it finally got nice the other day (70's). When I was in the middle of no where on a nice curvy road I noticed that the bike would stumble or miss on 1 or 2 cylinders at low rpms. So i figured a good run with the shift light on a couple of times would help. Even worse!!! Cuts out on 1-2 Cyl above about 10-12k. And when the bike would idle it would only hit on 2.

So Last weekend i replaced the spark plugs. All looked good, just slightly burnt electrodes. It seemed to help but when the bike gets warm, like 180 water temp, it will start to miss at idle and will still cut out at high rpms?

Any Ideas on what it might be or what to check? I thought maybe injector? but at $90 a pop that wouldn't be cheap. Thanks for any help!

Scott
Slightly burned electrodes, what's that? The cutting out sounds like an ignition problem to me. Plus it's much easier to check than the injectors. First get a timing light. I use a Craftsman I bought in 1974. Check the ignition advance at idle. Then rev the engine and see if the timing moves smoothly to full advance. If it doesn't, fix that first before doing anything to the fuel. But I would check the fuel filter.
No Worries is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 11:44 AM
First 1000 Member
 
rickmancc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: HBG PA
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Slightly burned electrodes, what's that? The cutting out sounds like an ignition problem to me. Plus it's much easier to check than the injectors. First get a timing light. I use a Craftsman I bought in 1974. Check the ignition advance at idle. Then rev the engine and see if the timing moves smoothly to full advance. If it doesn't, fix that first before doing anything to the fuel. But I would check the fuel filter.

That is your 1st check, If possible id would be great to get it on a dyno to test the fuel mix and exhaust
rickmancc is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:18 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Your bike probably never had the recall performed on it. The '03's stock coils (Denso) were junk. The recall replaced them with Mitsubishi coils. Contact a dealer and they'll run your VIN to see if has been done. I wanna say that'll take care of your problem.
DLIT is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Thanks For the suggestions, electrical makes sense to me. Just going to be hard to isolate the problem. I have a timing light but it is supposed to clip on the wire from the coil to the plug but the Coil is made on top of the plug that fits in the valve cover. How would i check the advance?

The plugs were a good coffee color, and by burnt I meant that the gap had gotten a lil bigger but not bad. I forgot to say that, it won't start to idol rough till you sit at a stop light for a while, but It has a liss when you blip the throttle.

I have a D&D slip-on on it and it has gotten really loud, so i ordered a repacking kit. Maybe that will get some back pressure on it???? Idk.

Thanks Again
Scott
VaTechR6 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
DLIT didn't read your message till after i typed mine. But it does have the Denso Coils in it. Will call he deal to see whats the deal. Thanks!
VaTechR6 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechR6 View Post
DLIT didn't read your message till after i typed mine. But it does have the Denso Coils in it. Will call he deal to see whats the deal. Thanks!
Yeah, dude. That should take care of it.
DLIT is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 03:00 PM
 
saverok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nashville,tn
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
Your bike probably never had the recall performed on it. The '03's stock coils (Denso) were junk. The recall replaced them with Mitsubishi coils. Contact a dealer and they'll run your VIN to see if has been done. I wanna say that'll take care of your problem.
this should do it...


if that don't work 1 take it to the nearest zuke dealer and trade it in for a 07 K7. J/K

Quote:
They call me Mr. Saverok
Silence is golden: Duct tape is silver.
saverok is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Thumbs up Fixed!!

Those new coils did the trick. Runs good as ever now. Thanks for the Help!!!!!
VaTechR6 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechR6 View Post
Those new coils did the trick. Runs good as ever now. Thanks for the Help!!!!!
good to hear that. you didnt have to pay did you?
2tire is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Just like I said... electrical!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechR6 View Post
Those new coils did the trick. Runs good as ever now. Thanks for the Help!!!!!
I accept reps.
DLIT is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
It was free of charge, dealer had it done by 2:30 the day they got the coils. I did pay for air shipping for the parts since it would have taken a week normaly, but no big deal. Wouldn't you know, it was like sunny and 80 till they got it fixed then it rained the day i picked it up. But it is supposed to be nice this weekend so i hope to get some good riding in. Thanks again!
VaTechR6 is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:23 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
The weather... that is typicall... sounds like you got my luck.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome