SV Fork/damper rod problem - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,840
Exclamation SV Fork/damper rod problem

Alright this could potentially take more thought and technical knowledge than 99.9% of the questions posted by most people (myself included) in this tech forum, so get your thinking caps on:

The bike is a mostly stock '01 SVS. So I'm in the middle of putting new springs, oil, and emulators into my forks. One fork went with no issues and is back together awaiting the first test ride. The other fork is giving us some trouble. With no damper rod inside the tubes slide smoothly and easily just like they should, there is no sign of anything bent or out of place. Then when we put the damper rod and top-out spring in and get the bolt started into it the fork tubes won't slide apart. Thus the damper rod is catching on some internal fork part and we can't figure out how to get it to work. With the fork fully extended the damper rod is caught in the middle, but the working fork did the same thing and all we had to do was compress the tubes, get the bolt started into the damper rod and then extend the tubes. After trying a few times to get the problematic one to work we dumped the damper rod and top-out spring out of the fork, to our surprise a very small light-duty spring also fell out and it doesn't appear on any parts fiches or manuals...has anyone run into this problem? Any advice? I should have a picture of the small spring soon if anyone cares to see it.
Knight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 PM
TWF Board Of Directors

 
Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 11,484
Send a message via AIM to Trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Alright this could potentially take more thought and technical knowledge than 99.9% of the questions posted by most people (myself included) in this tech forum, so get your thinking caps on:

The bike is a mostly stock '01 SVS. So I'm in the middle of putting new springs, oil, and emulators into my forks. One fork went with no issues and is back together awaiting the first test ride. The other fork is giving us some trouble. With no damper rod inside the tubes slide smoothly and easily just like they should, there is no sign of anything bent or out of place. Then when we put the damper rod and top-out spring in and get the bolt started into it the fork tubes won't slide apart. Thus the damper rod is catching on some internal fork part and we can't figure out how to get it to work. With the fork fully extended the damper rod is caught in the middle, but the working fork did the same thing and all we had to do was compress the tubes, get the bolt started into the damper rod and then extend the tubes. After trying a few times to get the problematic one to work we dumped the damper rod and top-out spring out of the fork, to our surprise a very small light-duty spring also fell out and it doesn't appear on any parts fiches or manuals...has anyone run into this problem? Any advice? I should have a picture of the small spring soon if anyone cares to see it.
Have you should posted up on svrider? Some of the first gen guys are pretty knowledgable over there.

2005 Honda CRF88RR - 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Trip is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,840
yeah I posted this at svrider, cf, wera, wos, etc; all the usual suspects. I didn't expect to get much help from here but thought it was worth a shot
Knight is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 PM
TWF Board Of Directors

 
Trip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 11,484
Send a message via AIM to Trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
yeah I posted this at svrider, cf, wera, wos, etc; all the usual suspects. I didn't expect to get much help from here but thought it was worth a shot
Hope you figure it out, the upgrade is well worth it. That's weird about that other spring.

2005 Honda CRF88RR - 2007 Honda CBR600RR
Trip is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:13 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Man...thinking caps nothing... that is a bit complicated for me to even think about over the internet. I'm not that good with suspension. Maybe if it was in front of me... MAYBE! Knight.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,394
The damper rod in my 79 Suzuki has a small spring on the bottom, like this diagram of a SV: http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_03...0&parent=11810.
No Worries is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
GREAT CALL NW!!! REPT! Which took you to your first goldie!






-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
The damper rod in my 79 Suzuki has a small spring on the bottom, like this diagram of a SV: http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_03...0&parent=11810.
The manual/ron ayers is the first place I looked and this spring is not on the parts fiche...which is also perplexing. The spring is smaller than the diameter of the damper rod and thus the rest of the fork tube. I think the spring you're talking about is what I call the top-out spring which is a small (maybe 2") spring that is at the bottom of the damper rod.
Knight is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,210
Hit Super up Knight, I'm sure he should be able to help out.
Pippi is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,840
Good idea Pippi. I might call him tonight. Though I think we're getting a little closer to figuring it out thanks to the MI guys on CycleForums and guys on WERA's board. It is likely a spring from the bottoming cone at the base of the fork. Here's a picture of it.



So hopefully fixing/removing the bottoming cone will take care of the problems. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
Knight is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 04:38 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Yeah... this is what we call a normal day in wrenching paradise. Nothing goes as planned.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome