Clean carbs on '96 YZF600 - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Clean carbs on '96 YZF600

Hey guys,
So the YZF I just picked up needs to have the carbs cleaned. I don't feel like spending the money to have the dealer do it, but when I took everything apart to get to them, I wasn't quite sure how unbolt the carbs from the engine. There are some allen bolts holding it on, but the bolts towards the front of the bike are impossible to get to. Anybody have any experience with this? I looked through the manual thread, but couldn't find my exact bike. Thanks.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
Hey guys,
So the YZF I just picked up needs to have the carbs cleaned. I don't feel like spending the money to have the dealer do it, but when I took everything apart to get to them, I wasn't quite sure how unbolt the carbs from the engine. There are some allen bolts holding it on, but the bolts towards the front of the bike are impossible to get to. Anybody have any experience with this? I looked through the manual thread, but couldn't find my exact bike. Thanks.

you might call and ask a local shop... sometimes (depending on the person) they may give you a little advice or tips/tricks... but not everyone will...


that being said... I have no ****ing idea!
ebbs15 is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
you might call and ask a local shop... sometimes (depending on the person) they may give you a little advice or tips/tricks... but not everyone will...


that being said... I have no ****ing idea!
Thanks EBBS...for nothing! (j/k)

I'm looking at $250 to have the shop do it and might just end up going that route. Kind of sucks though. It's basically just taking it all apart, cleaning it with parts wash and then putting back together. I can do that. Just no clue on how the carb comes off. There's four of them, too. You'd think you could buy a Haynes or Chilton repair manual at the dealer like you can with a car at Auto Zone, I still have to look online.

Just thought someone might know. Maybe I'll post in the Yami section.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
Thanks EBBS...for nothing! (j/k)

I'm looking at $250 to have the shop do it and might just end up going that route. Kind of sucks though. It's basically just taking it all apart, cleaning it with parts wash and then putting back together. I can do that. Just no clue on how the carb comes off. There's four of them, too. You'd think you could buy a Haynes or Chilton repair manual at the dealer like you can with a car at Auto Zone, I still have to look online.

Just thought someone might know. Maybe I'll post in the Yami section.
the mods will probably move it there anyhow so don't worry about it

yeah I've seen Chiltons or was it haynes for motorcycles... don't remember where though... but GOOGLE is your best friend

try calling the shop and asking... you may luck out!

oh and yeah my ex-girlfriend pretty much agrees... I'm good for nothing
ebbs15 is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:52 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
Thanks EBBS...for nothing! (j/k)

I'm looking at $250 to have the shop do it and might just end up going that route. Kind of sucks though. It's basically just taking it all apart, cleaning it with parts wash and then putting back together. I can do that. Just no clue on how the carb comes off. There's four of them, too. You'd think you could buy a Haynes or Chilton repair manual at the dealer like you can with a car at Auto Zone, I still have to look online.

Just thought someone might know. Maybe I'll post in the Yami section.
That and adjusting carbs can be tricky. Especially that syncing of all 4 carbs.
777Customs is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
It pisses me off, because if my friend (the previous owner) had just spent the $2.50 on gas restore and added it before winter, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Well for the input. Anyone else who's done it, give me a shout.

MODS: you can move this thread into the Yamaha section if that's a more appropriate place for it. I wasn't sure.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
Hey guys,
So the YZF I just picked up needs to have the carbs cleaned. I don't feel like spending the money to have the dealer do it, but when I took everything apart to get to them, I wasn't quite sure how unbolt the carbs from the engine. There are some allen bolts holding it on, but the bolts towards the front of the bike are impossible to get to. Anybody have any experience with this? I looked through the manual thread, but couldn't find my exact bike. Thanks.
Congrats on trying to do it yourself. Haynes manuals have good instructions and pictures on how to take off, clean, and install carbs. If they are bolts, can you get a small wrench on the side of them?
No Worries is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
ebbs15 is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Congrats on trying to do it yourself. Haynes manuals have good instructions and pictures on how to take off, clean, and install carbs. If they are bolts, can you get a small wrench on the side of them?
Yeah, I've used them for cars I've owned and they pretty much tell you step by step. The bolts are allen head. The ones on the gas tank side are easy to get to, but the front side bolts are coverd by the frame and the tree. Thanks, though.

Hey Ebbs, thanks for the link. I did a little digging around and found the Haynes book on sale at discountautorepairmanuals.com
Seems to be the cheapest price I've found. Good looking out, though.

Could still use input from people who have done it while I'm waiting for the book. Thanks.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 343
I got a manual right from Yamaha which is the actual service manual the dealers use for my 95 YZF600. Cost like 60 bucks but has been worth it as I've totally torn my engine apart using it.... I don't remember too much of an issue getting my carbs off... I will check the manual tonight when I get home and let you know if I see anything though.
oldman2007 is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2007 View Post
I got a manual right from Yamaha which is the actual service manual the dealers use for my 95 YZF600. Cost like 60 bucks but has been worth it as I've totally torn my engine apart using it.... I don't remember too much of an issue getting my carbs off... I will check the manual tonight when I get home and let you know if I see anything though.
Thanks, man.

I've taken the gas tank off, then the air box, then there are four carbs connected together with an aluminum bar that goes across all four on the tank side. The plastic stacks on the top of each intake are easy to remove because its just two screws on top of each one. I get lost after that, though. It looks like each carb is attached by an allen bolt in the front and one in the rear. It didn't look like I could access the rear bolts, so I didn't go any further. I wasn't sure if I had to remove something else to get to those or not.

I thought about ordering the Yamaha service manual, but wnated to save the extra $40 and thought the Haynes would be in layman terms and instructions.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,394
Are you taking each carb apart from each other to get them off? They usually come off as all four together and should stay together during the cleaning process. Hose-type clamps usually hold the carb outlets to the inlets of the intake manifold (cylinder head).
No Worries is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Are you taking each carb apart from each other to get them off? They usually come off as all four together and should stay together during the cleaning process. Hose-type clamps usually hold the carb outlets to the inlets of the intake manifold (cylinder head).
No, I wanted to take the four off as a group, but I was just asking if I had to take them apart to get them off. There was hose clamps attaching the air box to each plastic stack coming off the intakes, but I didn't see anything like that under the carbs. I'll check today after work, maybe I missed them. It just looked like they were individually bolted on the cylinder head with the allen bolts. I'll definitely check that out, though. Thanks.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
Hey Ebbs, thanks for the link. I did a little digging around and found the Haynes book on sale at discountautorepairmanuals.com
Seems to be the cheapest price I've found. Good looking out, though.

Could still use input from people who have done it while I'm waiting for the book. Thanks.
No prob... that's why I'm here... well that and to RaeRR
ebbs15 is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
No prob... that's why I'm here... well that and to RaeRR
DUDE...who's not hear for that?

Even Nee is all over her.


Actually....that gives me an idea...

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 02:33 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
DUDE...who's not hear for that?

Even Nee is all over her.


Actually....that gives me an idea...



where is Rae anyhow?
ebbs15 is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post



where is Rae anyhow?
I don't know...I've been kind of MIA myself for the last several months. Hard to think about bikes when there's snow on the ground, but I suppose I don't need to tell you about that.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 05:29 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
I don't know...I've been kind of MIA myself for the last several months. Hard to think about bikes when there's snow on the ground, but I suppose I don't need to tell you about that.
That's why I'm on here now. Think I'm going to waste precious riding time on here talking to you losers!?!



















J/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Knee Dragger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 343
Well my computer died at home and I forgot all about bringing the manual to check.. Computer will be fixed tonight.

Each carb has bolts that hold it on but by leaving the bar across the side they all come off together. You might be able to look at the parts ordering manual off a website and figure it out. They have exploded views of the different components. Won't tell you how to take it off but you may be able to see. Here is one website that has the parts overviews I'm talking about... www.yamahasportsplaza.com there are many more like it but this one is mine.... sorry couldn't resist the full metal jacket comment.....

Slap me around hopefully I'll remember to look for you tonight.
oldman2007 is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Privateer
 
sdog30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Are you taking each carb apart from each other to get them off? They usually come off as all four together and should stay together during the cleaning process. Hose-type clamps usually hold the carb outlets to the inlets of the intake manifold (cylinder head).
Hey man, you're right. I looked last night and there are hose clamps that attach them that are accessible from the side. It was dark, so I couldn't really see what head it is, but it looks like a small allen. Thanks for the suggestion.


Hey oldman2007,
If you think of it and have the time, maybe you can scan in the pages for carb cleaning and PM me. I'm ordering the Haynes book, but I don't think it'll be here by this weekend. Just want make sure I'm not taking something off I don't need to and shouldn't.

"Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"
sdog30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome