can it be tranny or clutch - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
richrom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paulsboro, New Jersey
Posts: 174
can it be tranny or clutch

i was riding to philadelphia to a bike shop and when i was on the bridge i felt a little jerk. i gave it more gas and noticed that it revved up high then the rpm needle went to zero and then back to the rpms that it suppose to be. today when i was riding i was keeping it at a steady pace when i felt the little jerk again the saw the rpm needle go to zero, then back to the rpms it suppose to be and when i gave it gas it felt like it was slipping again. what can it be?

2003 mercedes clk55, 2005 lincoln aviator
richrom2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
richrom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paulsboro, New Jersey
Posts: 174
does anybody have any idea, should i be more detailed?

2003 mercedes clk55, 2005 lincoln aviator
richrom2 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 PM
 
saverok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: nashville,tn
Posts: 3,906
sounds like either your clutch...*more than likely

or your transmission *less likely

I would start with the clutch.

Quote:
They call me Mr. Saverok
Silence is golden: Duct tape is silver.
saverok is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
I would say clutch but the fact that the RPMs go to zero steers me away from that.

What did the actual motor do by sound? Were you giving it throttle? did you gain any speed? did the tach come back?




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrom2 View Post
i was riding to philadelphia to a bike shop and when i was on the bridge i felt a little jerk. i gave it more gas and noticed that it revved up high then the rpm needle went to zero and then back to the rpms that it suppose to be. today when i was riding i was keeping it at a steady pace when i felt the little jerk again the saw the rpm needle go to zero, then back to the rpms it suppose to be and when i gave it gas it felt like it was slipping again. what can it be?

Without the tach thing, I would definitely say clutch. Since the tach is going berzerk, I would lean towards something electrical. A slipping clutch alone will not cause the tach to bounce to 0. The tach is measuring how fast the engine is turning, regardless of what is going on in the tranny.
6doublefive321 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 02:50 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,142
start with electrical. checking for loose connections at your gauge cluster, stator etc. if the tach goes from cruising speed to 0 and back to cruising speed again, its not a clutch issue unless the motor does the same thing.
King Bob is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 55
I Had A Similar Problem With My Gauge Cluster...it Was Cause My Battery Was Giving Off 16v Of Electricity Cause My Retifier Was Screwed Up And It Eventually Shorted Out My Whole Dash...but If Its A Clutch Problem Check It Its Really Easy...go At A Steady Speed Like 40mph And Mash On The Gas If The Rpms Start To Climb And Your Speed Isnt Goin Up Either Then Its Your Clutch, But Im Leaning Toward Electrical
Double_R is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
richrom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paulsboro, New Jersey
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_R View Post
I Had A Similar Problem With My Gauge Cluster...it Was Cause My Battery Was Giving Off 16v Of Electricity Cause My Retifier Was Screwed Up And It Eventually Shorted Out My Whole Dash...but If Its A Clutch Problem Check It Its Really Easy...go At A Steady Speed Like 40mph And Mash On The Gas If The Rpms Start To Climb And Your Speed Isnt Goin Up Either Then Its Your Clutch, But Im Leaning Toward Electrical
i did that and when i did it i saw the rpms go up and i heard the bike but it just wouldnt grab until i let off the gas and gradually gave it gas, gaining speed.

2003 mercedes clk55, 2005 lincoln aviator
richrom2 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrom2 View Post
i did that and when i did it i saw the rpms go up and i heard the bike but it just wouldnt grab until i let off the gas and gradually gave it gas, gaining speed.
That sounds like a slipping clutch. However, it does not explain the tach issues.
6doublefive321 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
richrom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paulsboro, New Jersey
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
That sounds like a slipping clutch. However, it does not explain the tach issues.
also at times when im going at a steady pace i sometimes feel the bike jerk a little and i noticed that the rpm needle goes down a little too.

2003 mercedes clk55, 2005 lincoln aviator
richrom2 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:41 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Might be multiple things going on here. If you ignore tach... does it sound like a bad clutch? If so... go for that. And then deal with the dash/tach.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 12:11 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 55
Dude You Just Might Need A Tune Up Including Fuel And Spark, Besides The Clutch
Double_R is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,394
A bad clutch probably won't slip now and then. It would slip all the time. But electric problems are intermittent. Especially since most newer tachs read off the spark unit. If the spark unit has a bad connection or is actually going bad, it will throw weird sparks and/or send bad vibes to the tach. I would check the connections first.
No Worries is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
richrom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paulsboro, New Jersey
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
A bad clutch probably won't slip now and then. It would slip all the time. But electric problems are intermittent. Especially since most newer tachs read off the spark unit. If the spark unit has a bad connection or is actually going bad, it will throw weird sparks and/or send bad vibes to the tach. I would check the connections first.
theres times when ive stompped on the gas and it wouldnt catch and when i gradually gave it gas it would gain speed so maybe the clutch isnt totally gone but going. also my clutch grabs high. high to where i practically let go and it would grab

2003 mercedes clk55, 2005 lincoln aviator
richrom2 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
When you say "grabs high" do you mean the distance on the lever? Cause that could just be a freeplay adjustment...




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
richrom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paulsboro, New Jersey
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
When you say "grabs high" do you mean the distance on the lever? Cause that could just be a freeplay adjustment...
yeah i practically have to let it go all the way before it grabs

2003 mercedes clk55, 2005 lincoln aviator
richrom2 is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Yeah that should just be in the freeplay.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie
 
richrom2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Paulsboro, New Jersey
Posts: 174
well i figured out the tach issue. when i went to turn the bike on the bike went dead. so i checked the battery and noticed that the screw to the positive cable wasnt screwed in all the way not having a solid connection

2003 mercedes clk55, 2005 lincoln aviator
richrom2 is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:50 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
DUH!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrom2 View Post
well i figured out the tach issue. when i went to turn the bike on the bike went dead. so i checked the battery and noticed that the screw to the positive cable wasnt screwed in all the way not having a solid connection
That'll do it.



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome