well to start today has been a crappy day...we will get back to that my current problem seems to be my regulator/rectifier. the problem it seems to have picked up a smoking habit. i obviously need a new one but want to know why it went bad and how to prevent this in the future. now back to my day ...well basically this a.m. i went for a ride. upon getting on the highway my lower fairing decieded to bail on me at 100mph then after getting home and rebolting whats left to my bike i go to leave again and find my reulator/rect. is smoking please help
Second, VR... they do just go bad. They are full of all kinds of diodes, regulators, resisters and all... that is why they have heat sinks (fins) on it to help dispurse all the heat. They are designed to take the AC voltage off your bikes stator and convert it into DC voltage to recharge your DC battery. It don't take much to F them up.
A few very common ways to screw them up. Sometimes just as simple as un-hooking or hooking up your battery, more common on older bikes where the parts older (like yours is). The more common of the two... jump starting the bike, more so with a RUNNING car. The car's alternator puts out too much power for these small electrical systems. You can burn up wiring, batteries, and VRs.
The other way would be to just have some type of a short in the system. That either being in the wiring of the bike's charging system or the battery itself.
On the fairing falling off. This is where some TLC with your bike comes in handy. A pre-trip inspection or even some weekly/monthly look over the bike. Checking tightness of fairing bolts/screws. I get this during rag cleaning over the bike and especially during polishing, and services (oil changes).
thanks for the advice. i have removed the reg. and plan on getting a new one...the clip that goes to it has a burnt connector (will have to replace too)my next question is should i worry about something else being the problem and that the reg. just died being the weakest point. bike was very hot when i got home after fairing fell off i somehow casnt shake the idea that they were both related
I highly doubt the plastics have anything to do with your electrical system unless it hit the VR REALLY hard. Maybe!
Most likely the wiring going into it shorted out if it was burnt. That would have caused a problem. that's like trying to run a piece of metal from the positive to the negative terminals on the battery. NOT GOOD!! Do a good repair on that and then install the new VR. Just be sure to unplug the battery before screwing with all of this.
Further, your battery should ALREADY be dis-connected by now. A bad VR will KILL your battery. I know.. mine just did this year. VR took a crap and smoked my battery!
thanks again and yes i have disconnected my battery...and now that you mention it i have been having an intermittent charging issue...brand new battery this season and i have had to push start it once a week or so ago