Wires getting warm - electrical problem
Okay, semi-quick rundown on how I got where I am today - August, started out for San Francisco and bike died on freeway about 20 miles out. Couldn't get anything to turn on. Got it home and found my ignition fuse popped. Replaced it and still got nothing. Checked wires quickly for signs of short...nothing.
Jump to April, I finally get around to pulling bike apart to rebuild harness and find my battery has only 25% fluid in it. Refill all sections and charge and voila! Bike runs. Put the bike back together and run it up and down the street, then wires start smoking and I shut it off. Turns out I pinched the red wire from the Regulator/rectifier when I remounted it. Added new section of wire and loomed whole trunk together and remounted. Started bike right up and rode it for two days.
Second day of riding, had to push start my bike a couple times before I got it home. Hooked up my meter while running and found it topped out at 11.5v charging. Hooked up a charger and tried to start bike to check generator leads, but orange wire (main power output wire from keyswitch) started smoking and melting at the clip. After that, starter button did nothing. Ordered a new regulator/rectifier, got it in and installed it, bypassed the starter button and tried to start...no success. Bought some quick-start and bike started up. Took apart starter button and found the leads had gotten hot and moved. Moved them back and now button works. Bike starts and runs and charges at 13.5 at idle and 14 even at about 1500rpms...don't have a tach, so I'm just guessing. Wasn't really winding it out cuz bike is in my back yard and louder than normal...LOL.
Got the bike to idle and started feeling the wires I had problems with. What I found was the main output wire from the keyswitch AND the main ground wire for the harness (that goes directly to the neg term on batt) both get warm to the touch. They don't get hot or smoke or melt, but they do get pretty warm. IS THIS NORMAL? I'm no professional electrician, but I think not. I'm just looking for confirmation and maybe some ideas thrown at me. I need to get this bike up to par because I start a new job that has a 19wk training period...if I miss one day, I get fired and my truck sucks too much diesel.
Would the battery be causing this problem? I am planning on buying a sealed AGM battery, but want to be sure I don't have a serious wiring problem before I invest money I don't have in a battery.
Thanks to anyone who can help.