2nd gear problems - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 53
2nd gear problems

I'm sure this has come up before. I have a 99 R6. When I bought the bike, the guy I bought it from said that he had to change second gear. I understand that second gear is the one that usually goes out as people miss this gear the most, usually hitting nuetral, then revving up and slamming into second.

Well, I don't know if he did this himself and didn't do it right, or if he paid somebody to do it and didn't pay enough, but the problem is this: under hard acceleration in second gear, the bike acts like it is jumping a tooth on the chain. This happens only in second gear, and only under hard acceleration. If I take it easy, no problems whatsoever. Has this happened to anyone else? What exactly is wrong? I consider myself a competent mechanic and would not be afraid to tear into the transmission. I have a factory service manual, but I would like to know what to look for when I get in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get this taken care of before the really good riding weather gets here.

Thanks in advance
Willis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:20 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
pretty major job..engine has to be pulled and the cases split. basicly the engine has to come apart since the tranny is in there....i could tear engines apart in no time...its the putting back together thing that gets complicated...

but really, its a pretty big job to change gears or shift forks in there...sorry
GsxrJack is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:25 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,654
Or you can got the EVO star from "Factory". My gixxers are being upgraded with cool part. Not sure if they make it for the R6 but I would interested in getting for my Race R6 aswell
twisty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
Or you can got the EVO star from "Factory". My gixxers are being upgraded with cool part. Not sure if they make it for the R6 but I would interested in getting for my Race R6 aswell
not sure what the evo star is,,,,,do you mean the heavy duty detent spring from factory, (shift kit) that only helps to make sue that the transmission clicks into gear more positively than the stock spring...his sounds like a tooth missing in the transmission gear itself.
GsxrJack is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 12:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,845
Typical R6 problem - second gear sucks. I haven't had any problems with mine but once in awhile I can feel it just ain't right. Your best bet is to go discuss this on the messagenet - lots of people there can help you.

R6 Messagenet
Mudpuppy is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 12:25 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrJack
pretty major job..engine has to be pulled and the cases split. basicly the engine has to come apart since the tranny is in there....i could tear engines apart in no time...its the putting back together thing that gets complicated...

but really, its a pretty big job to change gears or shift forks in there...sorry
I woundnt be scared of it tho. Whats the worst you could do?
twisty is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
I woundnt be scared of it tho. Whats the worst you could do?
not get it back together or ruining the engine if you put it back together wrong comes to mind..
GsxrJack is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,654
Thats not a big deal It was a joke jack....
twisty is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:18 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
Thats not a big deal It was a joke jack....
like i said, they come apart real easy...
GsxrJack is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 10:23 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Lightbulb

I love taking bikes apart!! It's fun!!!

But I think Jack is right...sounds like something major. You could also just buy another motor/tranny off a junk yard or EBay. Just swap out motors!!!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man
I love taking bikes apart!! It's fun!!!

But I think Jack is right...sounds like something major. You could also just buy another motor/tranny off a junk yard or EBay. Just swap out motors!!!
Its about the same price! If you can do it you self!
I took a GS 750 apart and had to enlist help to put Humpty back together again. Allot tougher than I thought.
It was a learning experience and have been successful on a F3 and one GSXR 600.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000

Last edited by jeeps84; 03-01-2005 at 11:07 AM.
jeeps84 is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:44 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,394
I thought R6's had a cassette trans that could be easily swapped. Does that mean that the cases don't have to be split?
No Worries is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:23 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries
I thought R6's had a cassette trans that could be easily swapped. Does that mean that the cases don't have to be split?
never hear that, would be neat if thats correct...or just that they have so much trouble with their tranny that they made it easier to fix
GsxrJack is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:32 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries
I thought R6's had a cassette trans that could be easily swapped. Does that mean that the cases don't have to be split?

I was reading my service manual last night and your right. I will post the diagram tonight. The trans can be removed from the block without having to open the motor.

You will have to take the motor off the bike tho.
twisty is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:02 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty
I was reading my service manual last night and your right. I will post the diagram tonight. The trans can be removed from the block without having to open the motor.

You will have to take the motor off the bike tho.
thats real nice, at least you dont have to split the cases...makes the job sort of easy...sort of

id like to see the diagram of that also..
GsxrJack is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,654
Sure I will post it tonight.
twisty is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 53
Thanks for all the help. I have a service manual myself and I guess that it will be my nighttime reading material for the next couple of days. I need to look through it when I get home tonight. I have had a dirtbike engine/trans apart before, so I get the general idea of how it works.

Am I going to cause more problems by driving the bike? Is there a broken chunk of a gear floating around in there that is going to bust everything else up?
Willis is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
BUMP!! i am having similar probs on the f3, second gear is almost non existant, i just shift to third, but at low speeds i can use 2nd till about 4000 then it seems like it is missing, i talked to a shop and they said 750-1000 to pull it out and look it over and opinions ?



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy
BUMP!! i am having similar probs on the f3, second gear is almost non existant, i just shift to third, but at low speeds i can use 2nd till about 4000 then it seems like it is missing, i talked to a shop and they said 750-1000 to pull it out and look it over and opinions ?
On my F3 it was the shift fork. I also found a cracked clutch basket while I was doing the job. It would shift into second but, if you let off the gas or twisted it hard. It would pop out.

The parts are cheap but the labor will suck.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by double2000r6
Typical R6 problem - second gear sucks. I haven't had any problems with mine but once in awhile I can feel it just ain't right. Your best bet is to go discuss this on the messagenet - lots of people there can help you.

R6 Messagenet
Yeah, that's a great R6 forum. Something like 8000 members. TWF still kicks ass though!
DLIT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome