'12 Kawi ZX-6R Fuel(?) Issues
A couple of weird issues that started up out of nowhere and haven't gone away.
First the backstory:
- Recently bought 2012 ZX-6R
- ~22,000 miles
- No real mods disclaimed to me at purchase other than short straight-pipe exhaust and a couple basic lighting changes. Everything else appears stock.
Other than the issues I'm about to describe it runs and feels fine.
Okay, so on to the issues..
- A couple weeks ago it started what I can only describe as a warble. It changes tempo with the RPM. Here's a link to an audio clip I tried to filter out. It's a pretty rough clip but if you listen to just the engine you can hear it. At idle there is no sound and it only seems to present itself after 25-30mph so I can't get very good audio. But it sound like a wahwahwahwahwah vs. just a clean waaaaahhhh...
- Lately it has been "popping" a lot more on deceleration/braking/down shifting. Like, if I'm cruising along at 75mph and let off the throttle, the exhaust will pop 2-3 times, downshift, pop 3-4 more times...
- Around the same time as issue number 1, I started noticing that at very low speeds (0-10mph), especially when cold, with just a touch of throttle (imagine driving through a parking lot), it lurches. Not terribly, but I definitely feel like it's lurching as if I'm slightly rolling the throttle on and off (but I'm not).
- Finally, and to add to the "no mods disclaimed", I've noticed that the speedometer is 5mph too fast. Whatever that may mean. I doubt just the exhaust is causing such a big change. I've also noticed that in 6th gear at about 9500 RPM it feels and sounds fully wound out and I'm afraid to take it any higher than 100mph ( maybe that's a good thing ).
- It has mods in the way of a clutch/sprocket/etc. that I don't know about causing the speed/rpm issues. But How do I find out?? It looks stock to me.
- There's a fuel and/or air issue causing the other problems
- Issues 1, 2, 3 feel like they're all related to me.
Things I've done so far:
- Changed all the spark plugs.
- Changed the oils.
- Cleaned out the airbox/filter.
: Today cruising around 5k RPM I was able to notice that, while it's "warbling" the RPM is actually fluctuating just a hair on the tach at the same rate as the warble.