Front end "whobble"... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
Grafixx01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,876
Question Front end "whobble"...

Ok, so I noticed the other day that when I start doing about 55mph or higher, and let off the bars, the bars like "whobble" back and forth, kinda like a major vibration. You know what I mean?

I went to the ONLY shop in town that deals with Yamaha and since the bike is only like 2 months old, I figured it'd be under warrenty. Well they say maybe and maybe not. I even got the Yamaha Extended Service plan, so I don't know what the deal is.

I didn't take it to the shop yet to get fixed. I'm doing that tomorrow morning/afternoon. Anyone got any ideas on what it may be? I didn't hit anything "big" in the road that I know of or remember. My friend said it could be like the tyre out of balance or something like that. The dealer said it could be that, a tyre defect or soemthing wrong with the rim.

Opinions???
Grafixx01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
the balance is off most likely.. a weight could have fell off.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:13 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
I agree with the balance chances...but it could also just be the pavement. Is it doing it everywhere? I'm not sure but it could also be that the steering head is loose. If that's the case don't worry about it... the stealer will have to re-torque it to Yam specs. Or on that same line...your R6 might just have a loose steering by design. In which a steering stabalizer would be perfect for ya!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:23 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
This is why it is inportant to take it to the stealer for the first (600) mile service...they are supposed to check and retorque all fasteners...It does sound like a tire/air pressure or balance thing...unless you been popping wheelies and bent the rim??
bumblebee is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
Grafixx01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,876
Did the 600 mile service and one at 1000 miles just to be sure. Everything was fine then. The wheelies, as I stated in "Off Topic" , I just did my first one the other day and it was like up and down, that was it.
Grafixx01 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 09:38 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,396
Any looseness in your trip tree? Or you fork tube pressure is uneven. one tube is softer then the other. You may need to adjust by way of service manual specs. Just look in you operaters manual for ajusting Fork damping. If they are uneven it WILL wobble.
Earlzach is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafixx01
Did the 600 mile service and one at 1000 miles just to be sure. Everything was fine then. The wheelies, as I stated in "Off Topic" , I just did my first one the other day and it was like up and down, that was it.
The quick up and down wheelies are hard on the front end. Once learn how to ride one out, you will be alot better off because you will be slowly letting the front end down with a nice soft landing instead of a hard crashing front end down.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,010
i always hate when i crash the front end down, its way not good for the bike, def not good for the forks and puts a hurtin on the boys. lol
zx636r is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx636r
i always hate when i crash the front end down, its way not good for the bike, def not good for the forks and puts a hurtin on the boys. lol
far too many times have I done that! OUCH!! just thinkin about it turns my stomach.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:43 PM
First 1000 Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 408
The first thing I would look at is the steering head bearings.

Larry

Rarely is the question stupid, but sometimes the answer is you need to run everything you read online through your own personal BS meter to determine if it makes sense to you.

Last edited by larryg; 07-01-2005 at 08:50 PM.
larryg is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
Grafixx01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,876
Well, I took it to the stealer today. They had four different mechanics (all certified) ride it and didn't say anything to one another about it. They found that it doesn't do it more than what it "should" according to manufacturers specs.

As for wheelies, not doing them anymore!
Grafixx01 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 PM
First 1000 Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafixx01
Well, I took it to the stealer today. They had four different mechanics (all certified) ride it and didn't say anything to one another about it. They found that it doesn't do it more than what it "should" according to manufacturers specs.

As for wheelies, not doing them anymore!
So did they actually check the torque on the steering head bearings or did they just blow smoke up your ass?

Larry

Rarely is the question stupid, but sometimes the answer is you need to run everything you read online through your own personal BS meter to determine if it makes sense to you.
larryg is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 10:03 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Sounded like smoke!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
First 1000 Member
 
Grafixx01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryg
So did they actually check the torque on the steering head bearings or did they just blow smoke up your ass?

Larry

No smoke. They test rode it and also put it through another 600-1000 mile test cause they were the ones who did it the first time. The head tech thought that the guy who originally did the inspection may have overlooked something. I told him about the weights, torque and everything. He checked it all and I insisted that I stood over him while he did it.

Said the same thing that Gas Man said, "Steering Stabilizer." Although he said Ohlins, but I'm not up for like 700 just for the stabilizer then like another 200 to install it!
Grafixx01 is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Just like already stated;
So many things can cause what you described its . The Tire may be out of balance, low air or tread chopping up. Uneven fork pressure, torque on the head bearings would be the first things I would check.
After all that and it still does it. Get the stabilizer. You need it anyway if you ride the bike at a pace like it was built for.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 12:27 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,394
Well, if you brought your bike to my house, I would have given it a "test ride" like the four certified mechanics. But the way I was taught to check steering head bearings was to put the bike on the centerstand, grab the lower part of the forks and push and pull them. Any play means that the bearings have to be tightened.

My 75 Suzuki triple had ball bearings in the steering head. On it's centerstand, you could rotate the handlebar from lock to lock. It would stick in the straight ahead position. When I took it apart, the bearings had beat a groove in the races. My 79 Suzuki came with improved tapered bearings, and I put in a zerk fitting for greasing. But my 90 CBR has ball bearings. Seems like they went full-circle.
No Worries is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 01:52 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafixx01
No smoke. They test rode it and also put it through another 600-1000 mile test cause they were the ones who did it the first time. The head tech thought that the guy who originally did the inspection may have overlooked something. I told him about the weights, torque and everything. He checked it all and I insisted that I stood over him while he did it.

Said the same thing that Gas Man said, "Steering Stabilizer." Although he said Ohlins, but I'm not up for like 700 just for the stabilizer then like another 200 to install it!
Graff.... so let me get this straight... you stood over him while the pulled your top tripple clamp and clip ons off....checked the torque spec on the steering head.

Then he pulled the front wheel off and put it on the balancing machine and checked the balance of the wheel.

While he had the wheel off the bike he checked your bearings....

He did all that? I'm still smelling smoke!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:48 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries
Well, if you brought your bike to my house, I would have given it a "test ride" like the four certified mechanics. But the way I was taught to check steering head bearings was to put the bike on the centerstand, grab the lower part of the forks and push and pull them. Any play means that the bearings have to be tightened.

My 75 Suzuki triple had ball bearings in the steering head. On it's centerstand, you could rotate the handlebar from lock to lock. It would stick in the straight ahead position. When I took it apart, the bearings had beat a groove in the races. My 79 Suzuki came with improved tapered bearings, and I put in a zerk fitting for greasing. But my 90 CBR has ball bearings. Seems like they went full-circle.
Ive given two bikes (both yamaha's) a "test drive" to check out front end wobble complaints from friends..one was at bridgehampton race track with a 1 mile straight and 2 wide open turns, and i got into such a violent tank slapper that it ripped the steering damper off its mount on the frame...the other time the tank slapper almost put me over a guard rail into oncomming traffick...both times it was the steering head bearings not seated correctly on new bikes from the same yamaha shop be carefull taking test rides on bikes that have front end wobble, especially in triple digit sweepers, do a thourough check out first...
GsxrJack is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrJack
Ive given two bikes (both yamaha's) a "test drive" to check out front end wobble complaints from friends..one was at bridgehampton race track with a 1 mile straight and 2 wide open turns, and i got into such a violent tank slapper that it ripped the steering damper off its mount on the frame...the other time the tank slapper almost put me over a guard rail into oncomming traffick...both times it was the steering head bearings not seated correctly on new bikes from the same yamaha shop be carefull taking test rides on bikes that have front end wobble, especially in triple digit sweepers, do a thourough check out first...
Damn Jack, That's scary!
Better stay off the darn Yamaha's!

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 12:31 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps84
Damn Jack, That's scary!
Better stay off the darn Yamaha's!
CLASSIC




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome