I haven't been on for a week now because i'm up in NewYork, freezing my arzzz off.. I worked on the bike from 2am to 8am, being able to get on for a fifteen minute test ride before I had to leave for the airport..
I spent about 45 minutes with the owner of a shop I always go to, just going over all the different sizes that I had and therefore what sizes I needed to bring it into adjustment.. He was great about it, the dealership wanted $11.00/shim and they would have had to be shipped..
Plus I didn't even have a gauge in order to compare what I had and figure out what I would need.. It ended up costing me $20 dollars as I gave the owner all my old ones in exchange for different sizes..
I'm glad I did the job myself though it was a little rushed, I've never seen anything so complicated in order to do a valve adjustment.. I'm surprised it only costs $300 to have a full tuneup and valve adjustment, I wonder if they even bother with the close ones..
Overall I believe the worst were adjusted by about .10mm from the low end of the specs, which isn't that bad but then again they were getting a little tight. Expecially the exhaust side which end up getting hotter and therefore be more likely to cause future problems...
It's probably psychological but when I rode the bike it seemed a little more responsive and a little faster.. I'm sure most if not all was in my head.. I did clean and oil the K&N which was pretty dirty, as well as spotting a problem with the airbox housing, which I fixed. (The drain line which is supposed to be plugged so no air could bypass the filter had no line on it, therefore possibly letting debri into the carbs..) New Oil and new K&N oil filter..
Next time because I know what i'm doing I could get this done in half, if not a 1/4 of the time... Though thank god next time won't be for another 15,000 miles or so..
I didn't get too many pictures of the bike totally torn apart,
, I was too busy trying to get everything done before I left for NY.
Anyways I'll talk to you guys later,