Originally Posted by Gr1n1n
To stop properly, and quickly you utilize both the front and the rear brake. The front brake handles 70% of the braking power while the rear provides the other 30%. I can't imagine how you would use the rear brake more than the front, unless stopping distance isn't an issue
I use my rear brake every time I want control...many times without even touching the front brake. And yes, most of the stopping comes from the front, but what if you aren't trying to stop but regain balance and control?
Alright children, listen up...let's examine the dynamics of stopping a sportbike...
when you grab only the front brake, you quickly transfer the weight to the front wheel and the rear suspension actually rises as the weight is thrown forward which leads to a situation I call "pushing" the front wheel, and can lead to various control problems when riding on surfaces other than flat, smooth pavement. think about how "stoppies" work.
When you initiate braking by applying the back brake first, the rear suspension lowers, a process I call "squatting" and the weigh starts the transfer to the front wheel.
When you apply the front brakes, the suspension has settled down in the back. As you compress the front forks, the rear is down, almost "dragging" behind the motorcycle which allows for a lower center of gravity, better distribution of weight and smoother stops.
Learn how to adjust your brakes...Y'all have posted that vehicle brakes work in proportions...OK, so use it...I have my rear brake set up by adjustment that I almost literally have to stand on it with my heel to lock the rear. I use my rear in corners, turns, anywhere I want to "settle" the bike down and assert more control because as soon as you apply pressure to the rear rotor, the bike "sits down"
In the 2 years I have owned my F4i, I have locked the rear wheel once, when a usual 7 second yellow light turned from green to red in 3 seconds and I had to go from 65 to 0 in about 100 feet while going downhill...99birdv6 got a good laugh at that one.
You adjust your brakes properly, try what I am saying and then come back and tell me how wrong I am.