gear ratio question - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13
gear ratio question

how do u read the gear ratios? heres one from the 06 r6 for first gear 31/12 (2.583)...and for 2nd 32/16 (2.000)
2eyesforaneye is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:27 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Moved to Tech section for more help.




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 04:21 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 156
Quote:
how do u read the gear ratios? heres one from the 06 r6 for first gear 31/12 (2.583)...and for 2nd 32/16 (2.000)
its just like any other ratio. the 31-12 is the number of teeth on the main shaft of counter shaft. the 31 being the main and the 12 being the counter and then the 2.583 is how many times the counter shaft(12) has to spin in order for the main shaft(31) to spin 1 time.


but the best and cheapest way to play with the gearing on the bike is to leave the trany gears alone since you have to split the blocks apart to get a them, you should play with you drive and driven gears(what the chain is on) for a better top end go 1 up in the front and 1 down in the rear, for better acceleration go 1 down in the fron and 1 to 3 up in the rear.

Last edited by duceater; 05-19-2006 at 04:24 AM.
duceater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by duceater
its just like any other ratio. the 31-12 is the number of teeth on the main shaft of counter shaft. the 31 being the main and the 12 being the counter and then the 2.583 is how many times the counter shaft(12) has to spin in order for the main shaft(31) to spin 1 time.


but the best and cheapest way to play with the gearing on the bike is to leave the trany gears alone since you have to split the blocks apart to get a them, you should play with you drive and driven gears(what the chain is on) for a better top end go 1 up in the front and 1 down in the rear, for better acceleration go 1 down in the fron and 1 to 3 up in the rear.

And go -2 in the front and +11 in the back if you wanna be a stunta...like birdman...
bumblebee is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 07:47 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 156
Quote:
And go -2 in the front and +11 in the back if you wanna be a stunta...like birdman...
ya thats my next toy. i want to play around with that a bit, or turbos
duceater is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome