Looked at a Tiller tonite - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Looked at a Tiller tonite

There was a 2001 TL1000r in the paper today for $3200. I figured for that price that it was atleast worth looking at. I figured it had to have been down too. Custom paint, missing fairing the ad said.

I called. Here's what he told me. 12 o'clocked it doing a wheelie. Tail section busted up. Bondo fixed. Cracked nose fairing. Missing right side mirror. No lower left fairing. Needs front tire.

So the dood seems to be upfront. I call my buddy. Him, my wife, and I roll down to see the mighty twin.

It's as he described...but needs a few other things. Rear brake lever is bent to hell. Clutch and front brake levers have the ends broken off.

So he says he'll start it and take it down the road so I can hear it. Fair enough I say. He goes to start it. Takes several cranks to fire. That concerns me. He also said he was riding it today. So it shoulda fired right up IMO.

But when it did fire....WOW. The sound of a V-twin. Damn did it sound good. It has V&H ss2r system on it. The same as my 92. I'm not wild about the V&H.

So I say to him...do YOU wanna take it down the road so I can hear this bad boy. By now he realizes I know more about his bike then he does and says..."YOU can take it." Hellllll yeah.

"Be careful", he says, "it's got alot of torque." Understood. I take her down the road. Man it sounds awesome. It's WAY more comfortable than my 92. It felt a ton lighter too. Although in reality they are close to the same weight. Within 20 pounds or so. I DOES NOT handle like a semi-truck (as onesickpsycho said in the SV1000 thread.) It handles very well.

After I come back from a quick trip to the end of the road...I get out the flash light. I notice the left side of the engine has oil on it. Not good. I couldn't tell where it was coming from. But it was there. Also...I revved the engine a bit when I got back and a HUGE flame shot out the pipes.

He proceeds to tell me this 2001 is carberated and it was remapped. That is a bit contradictory. I know for a fact that the TLR is FI'd. But I wasn't gonna argue.

Why would a FI'd bike that was warm take so long to start. Why would flames shoot out the pipes and where is the oil coming from? Those are the questions I had.

Basically it would cost me an additional grand or so to get it back to factory looking. All new skins, tires, levers, brakes, tune up, etc. It's not worth 3200 to me. I might call him in about a month and low ball him...he did say he would negotiate the price.

A



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 09:38 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,007
Offer him 2 grand, as is for the simple fact that it's going to cost you some serious dollars to get it looking and runing correct.
1BadCBR is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:23 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
sounds like junk to me. he should pay you to take it off his hands.
itgirl25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl25 View Post
sounds like junk to me. he should pay you to take it off his hands.
justpucky is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:27 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,082
even better...it sounds like the last sh*t i took.
itgirl25 is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 10:55 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,007
1BadCBR is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I DOES NOT handle like a semi-truck (as onesickpsycho said in the SV1000 thread.) It handles very well.
...At least I know someone's reading them...

I say lowball this guy as much as you can... You can find them in the $4-5k range... however given they are a little more of a rarity, you will see a lot of them go for $6k+.

I thought about taking a look at this bike, but check out the missing chunk of frame on the one side!
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/7/2/85072372.htm
Also, it's important to note that this bike has been for sale for a while and they just added the aftermarket fairing... then relisted... probably trying to hide some damage... Shady McShadster... Gotta be careful...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:36 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Not bad
1BadCBR is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 149
http://www.boblogue.com/pre_owned_de...7R0&veh=365516

I looked at this about a week ago. Looks really good and these guys have a real good reputation in this area. If its a Tiller you want it might be worth a drive.
Bandit 6S is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:03 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
If anyone with a v twin for sale will admit they wheelie it...run, run away...unles you can get it cheap and rebuild it

besides...how much respect could he have for the bike if he won't replace $20.00 worth of levers before he tries to sell it...If he didn't have enough pride in his machine to keep it repaired...what makes you think he even changed the oil???
bumblebee is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
If anyone with a v twin for sale will admit they wheelie it...run, run away...unles you can get it cheap and rebuild it

besides...how much respect could he have for the bike if he won't replace $20.00 worth of levers before he tries to sell it...If he didn't have enough pride in his machine to keep it repaired...what makes you think he even changed the oil???
Who doesn't wheelie their machine? I would have to say that person, especially one who rides a one-wheel prone machine, would be in the minority. Just make sure to check the forks for signs of leakage... Guy could have doinked it down hard and blew a seal...

Also, this bike was crashed and not repaired... So the levers are the least of his concern...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit 6S View Post
http://www.boblogue.com/pre_owned_de...7R0&veh=365516

I looked at this about a week ago. Looks really good and these guys have a real good reputation in this area. If its a Tiller you want it might be worth a drive.
'97 w/ 23k miles... I bet you could get it for $4k...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 12:55 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 149
They are a good dealer. Awesome collection of classic Hondas. I'm pretty certain the wheelie remark is just advertising. Being close to the end of the season, cash money would probably buy that bike for 3800.
Bandit 6S is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:26 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Who doesn't wheelie their machine? I would have to say that person, especially one who rides a one-wheel prone machine, would be in the minority. Just make sure to check the forks for signs of leakage... Guy could have doinked it down hard and blew a seal...

Also, this bike was crashed and not repaired... So the levers are the least of his concern...
I don't wheelie my F4i...

Anywho who rides wheelies on a twin is oil starving it and it will break...Ask anyone on here with an SV what happens when they wheelie them? Uponone parted his SV after he killed it...birdman bought his SV from a kid who blew it up even while running it +1 quart of oil...Finding older model SV's with matching numbers is in the minority

People who ding up their bikes by crashes or tip overs and don't repair them properly, don't respect them...just as people who don't keep them clean...I won't buy a dinged or dirty bike unless the seller gives a large discount or a warranty.
bumblebee is offline  
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:49 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,840
Just lowball him and see what happens. Give him your number "just in case he changes his mind"
Knight is offline  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 07:54 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I don't wheelie my F4i...

Anywho who rides wheelies on a twin is oil starving it and it will break...Ask anyone on here with an SV what happens when they wheelie them? Uponone parted his SV after he killed it...birdman bought his SV from a kid who blew it up even while running it +1 quart of oil...Finding older model SV's with matching numbers is in the minority

People who ding up their bikes by crashes or tip overs and don't repair them properly, don't respect them...just as people who don't keep them clean...I won't buy a dinged or dirty bike unless the seller gives a large discount or a warranty.
Tell the truth Bee. The reason you dont wheelie the F4i is due to teh belly thats sitting on the tank.
99birdv6 is offline  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99birdv6 View Post
Tell the truth Bee. The reason you dont wheelie the F4i is due to teh belly thats sitting on the tank.
Having seen you post about one wheel adventures on your SV, what happens when you wheelie an SV?
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Having seen you post about one wheel adventures on your SV, what happens when you wheelie an SV?
Well, the front cylinder would be verticle at the top of the engine.. so no oil whatsoever.. And at the operating temps of that 2 cylinder engine.. use your imagination.
justpucky is offline  
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 09:21 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
Having seen you post about one wheel adventures on your SV, what happens when you wheelie an SV?
Well, on the SV, if you keep it up for a long time, you will oil starve the front cylinder and lock it up. It takes a lot to do that though. I ride mine out through 2nd and 3rd gear and I havent locked it up. YOu literally have to be riding it up for a long time to do it.
99birdv6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome