Regular or synthetic? - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
Regular or synthetic?

K7 GSXR 600 - 2300 miles, want to do second oil change.
Should I stay away from synthetic or is it ok to use it?
GSXR07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 AM
 
PiZdETS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 912
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I switched to it at my first oil change and will use nothing else. It costs damn near 8 bucks a bottle but you'll know where your money went the first time you ride.
Could be the placebo effect but my bike felt like it revved faster, clutch and transmission action was a lot smoother and quicker and my gas mileage improved slightly.

They have one kind for v-twins and one for sportbikes, obviously you want sportbike. Mine which is a kinda-sportbike v-twin was hard to judge, I called suzuki and they said use the sportbike as the the revs and internals are pretty racy compared to harley's/cruisers which the v-twin is made for.
PiZdETS is offline  
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I switched to it at my first oil change and will use nothing else. It costs damn near 8 bucks a bottle but you'll know where your money went the first time you ride.
Could be the placebo effect but my bike felt like it revved faster, clutch and transmission action was a lot smoother and quicker and my gas mileage improved slightly.
hmm... I have read that you DON'T want to switch to synthetic that early... you still want to have a little bit of friction in the engine to finish the wear-in process correctly, from what I understand. Your engine wearing correctly and piston ring seating continues to occur up till a few thousand miles, I thought. Maybe I am mistaken though...
ceo012384 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:56 AM
 
PiZdETS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
hmm... I have read that you DON'T want to switch to synthetic that early... you still want to have a little bit of friction in the engine to finish the wear-in process correctly, from what I understand. Your engine wearing correctly and piston ring seating continues to occur up till a few thousand miles, I thought. Maybe I am mistaken though...
Gah, my bad- should've qualified that. I bought the bike with 4,000 miles on it. First change after buying it I put synthetic in.
PiZdETS is offline  
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
Gah, my bad- should've qualified that. I bought the bike with 4,000 miles on it. First change after buying it I put synthetic in.
Oh, fair enough
ceo012384 is offline  
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 02:24 AM
 
PiZdETS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 912
I did hear from the autozone guy that the synthetics will eat up atv's and dirt bike's clutch's for some reason.

However, he also asked me if my v-twin was a four cylinder...so he wasn't exactly a scholar on modern motorcycles.
PiZdETS is offline  
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Sportbike Junkie
 
6doublefive321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: GA
Posts: 624
My local Suzuki dealer said synthetics were a waste of money. They recommended the run of the mill Suzuki oil.

It is a fact that synthetics have fewer impurities, and produce less carbon deposits. However, I think if you change your oil as directed, there isn't a huge payback with the synthetics. But, if you wait a little longer than normal to change your oil, the synthetics may be a good alternative. I have heard and read that when you change your oil, you are replinishing the detergents and additives in the oil that are consumed over time. The OIL itself is good for many more miles.

Personally, I would stick with the OEM oil, and pocket the difference.

Wynona loved her big brown beaver
And she stroked him all the time.
She pricked her finger one day and it
Occurred to her she might have a porcupine
6doublefive321 is offline  
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Supporting Member
October 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
tallywacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Patrol base in IRAQ
Posts: 2,694
Send a message via AIM to tallywacker Send a message via Yahoo to tallywacker
Ive never had a prob with yamalube I run the 4-R Semi-Synthetic race oil

www.myspace.com/kurtpittman
3/320th FA RAKKASANS

GHOST RIDE THE WHIP
tallywacker is offline  
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:56 AM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Is 5K miles to early to run synthetic?
Rider is offline  
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Supporting Member
October 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
tallywacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Patrol base in IRAQ
Posts: 2,694
Send a message via AIM to tallywacker Send a message via Yahoo to tallywacker
5k should definitely be fine

www.myspace.com/kurtpittman
3/320th FA RAKKASANS

GHOST RIDE THE WHIP
tallywacker is offline  
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
I did hear from the autozone guy that the synthetics will eat up atv's and dirt bike's clutch's for some reason.

However, he also asked me if my v-twin was a four cylinder...so he wasn't exactly a scholar on modern motorcycles.
Certain AUTO lubes are known to do that...
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Tank Slapper
 
Danase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
I did hear from the autozone guy
That was your first mistake.

LOL

After reading some articles online I just bought some Spectro 4 10w40. We shall see how it works.

I always ran Mobile 1 in my cars though. If you look at the internals of an engine that had ran synthetic oil most of it's life compared to one that didn't you will see the difference and how clean the synthetic ran engine is. Plus, synthetics usually do a better job at lubrication and can add some power...probably not much on a bike but some.

Last edited by Danase; 06-12-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Danase is offline  
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danase View Post
That was your first mistake.
LOL
After reading some articles online I just bought some Spectro 4 10w40. We shall see how it works.
I always ran Mobile 1 in my cars though. If you look at the internals of an engine that had ran synthetic oil most of it's life compared to one that didn't you will see the difference and how clean the synthetic ran engine is. Plus, synthetics usually do a better job at lubrication and can add some power...probably not much on a bike but some.
I was posting earlier to discourage use of sythetics TOO early. However, the use of synthetics, no matter how often you change your oil, is beneficial FOR SURE. Less friction = less wear, that's all there is to it. So once your engine is broken in and worn in correctly, you'd like to keep it just that way. Synthetics are the way to go.
ceo012384 is offline  
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
I did hear from the autozone guy that the synthetics will eat up atv's and dirt bike's clutch's for some reason.

However, he also asked me if my v-twin was a four cylinder...so he wasn't exactly a scholar on modern motorcycles.
or on the meaning of certain words (i.e. TWINS)

Gotta love those autoparts workers.... umm k maybe not
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Factory Racer
 
Back _Marker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tyrone, GA
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR07 View Post
K7 GSXR 600 - 2300 miles, want to do second oil change.
Should I stay away from synthetic or is it ok to use it?
synthetic breaks down slower than regular...

-a|ex
Back _Marker is offline  
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Factory Racer
 
Back _Marker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tyrone, GA
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Is 5K miles to early to run synthetic?
depends on how you run your motorcycle.
more severe usage requires earlier change. hitting the twisties routinely would require a more frequent change than riding mostly highway.

goldwings can go 5k without changing. i change oil after each race weekend.

-a|ex
Back _Marker is offline  
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:47 PM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back _Marker View Post
depends on how you run your motorcycle.
more severe usage requires earlier change. hitting the twisties routinely would require a more frequent change than riding mostly highway.

goldwings can go 5k without changing. i change oil after each race weekend.

-a|ex
I meant 5K total on the engine, not between changes. I change it more frequently then that, just want sure if you want to use synthetic on an engine with only 5k miles on the engine.
Rider is offline  
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I meant 5K total on the engine, not between changes. I change it more frequently then that, just want sure if you want to use synthetic on an engine with only 5k miles on the engine.
5k is fine, you're all broken in by then.
ceo012384 is offline  
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Factory Racer
 
Back _Marker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tyrone, GA
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I meant 5K total on the engine, not between changes. I change it more frequently then that, just want sure if you want to use synthetic on an engine with only 5k miles on the engine.
when the engine is broke in, synthetics can be used. if an engine is broke in soft, the 2nd oil change can be synthetic.

i breakin my engine hard. first oil change in 50 miles, 100, then 1000 using regular valvoline. then synthetic at 3000. the reason for the oil changes is to remove the debri filled filter. cold engines bypass the filter and changing it will remove the cold oil debri. after 1000 miles of hard riding, all the breakin debri should be gone.

i've read articles that says synthetics can be used to break in engines. after much thought, it would make sense but much most costly. sythetic oil is just as slippery than regular. it just holds it's viscosity longer. but it would cost more to change oil more frequently as i had done.

to answer your question, 5k would be fine if you didn't baby your bike for the first 5k miles.

-a|ex
Back _Marker is offline  
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Do it! Synthetics ROCK!

They extend the life of your oil. So combine synth & regular oil changes will extend the life of your bike's drivetrain.

Remember...

Oil is cheap, motors aren't!




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome