I THINK I want a gixxer 750... help - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
I THINK I want a gixxer 750... help

I've been riding a Katana 600 for two seasons now, and I want to move up to a real sport bike. I've ridden a couple hotter 600s, a gixxer 600, a yzf 600, a kawi 636, you name it. I just wasnt satisfied with the mid range power. Blame it on my four wheeled vehicle, I drive a Camaro SS when it gets too cold. I rarely wind out the Katana to her redline. I am looking for that mid range grunt. Is that something i can find with a sport bike?? I just don't want the fear of certain death that comes with twisting the throttle on a 1000.

-matt
mattorama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 PM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
The Gixxer 750 is the ultimate street bike, low end grunt, but it handles like a 600. You wont go wrong with the 750.
Rider is offline  
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The Gixxer 750 is the ultimate street bike, low end grunt, but it handles like a 600. You wont go wrong with the 750.


The SV1000S or a used RC51 are also options for ya. Twins give a great amount of torque and low/mid range power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post


The SV1000S or a used RC51 are also options for ya. Twins give a great amount of torque and low/mid range power.
Interesting alternatives. BTW, what you got in that olds? 455?
mattorama is offline  
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattorama View Post
Interesting alternatives. BTW, what you got in that olds? 455?
na... the cutlass' only came w/a 350. still scoots pretty decent for being stock and heavy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
The Gixxer 750 is the ultimate street bike, low end grunt, but it handles like a 600. You wont go wrong with the 750.
I have a K7 750.
Shags71 is offline  
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
na... the cutlass' only came w/a 350. still scoots pretty decent for being stock and heavy...
mine had a 455 in it :

oh n gets what feels the most comfortable.
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRider View Post
na... the cutlass' only came w/a 350. still scoots pretty decent for being stock and heavy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
mine had a 455 in it :

oh n gets what feels the most comfortable.
was it the original engine????
and was it a '72????

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version
SVRider is offline  
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattorama View Post
I've been riding a Katana 600 for two seasons now, and I want to move up to a real sport bike. I've ridden a couple hotter 600s, a gixxer 600, a yzf 600, a kawi 636, you name it. I just wasnt satisfied with the mid range power. Blame it on my four wheeled vehicle, I drive a Camaro SS when it gets too cold. I rarely wind out the Katana to her redline. I am looking for that mid range grunt. Is that something i can find with a sport bike?? I just don't want the fear of certain death that comes with twisting the throttle on a 1000.

-matt
If you don't like to wind up to redline and just want midrange grunt don't waste your money on an I4 supersport like a 600 or 750... they are meant to rev... just get a middle displacement twin. Look at the suzuki SV's.... the 650 is torquey and cheaper than a gixxer 750 by a decent amount.



By the way a camaro SS is nowhere near as fast as any of the bikes you mentioned...
ceo012384 is offline  
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
If you don't like to wind up to redline and just want midrange grunt don't waste your money on an I4 supersport like a 600 or 750... they are meant to rev... just get a middle displacement twin. Look at the suzuki SV's.... the 650 is torquey and cheaper than a gixxer 750 by a decent amount.



By the way a camaro SS is nowhere near as fast as any of the bikes you mentioned...
Well I want the high end power to be there, but I consider myself a casual user of the upper end of the power band... I just don't want it to kill me, and when I rode a CBR 1000, I seriously felt like my life was in danger heh.

I know the 'maro isnt as fast as bikes, trust me, that's the reason I bought a motorcycle in the first place a couple years ago! My Katana 600 is only about as fast as a Corvette, and that's if I ride it flat out. I want quick, just not deadly quick.
mattorama is offline  
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:50 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattorama View Post
Well I want the high end power to be there, but I consider myself a casual user of the upper end of the power band... I just don't want it to kill me, and when I rode a CBR 1000, I seriously felt like my life was in danger heh.

I know the 'maro isnt as fast as bikes, trust me, that's the reason I bought a motorcycle in the first place a couple years ago! My Katana 600 is only about as fast as a Corvette, and that's if I ride it flat out. I want quick, just not deadly quick.
If you just want the top end power to have it or say that you have it, that's fine....

But if your main concern is mid end grunt I would just do what I suggested in my previous post, forget about the high end power unless you plan on taking it to the track, and put a couple thousand bucks in your pocket
ceo012384 is offline  
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
If you just want the top end power to have it or say that you have it, that's fine....

But if your main concern is mid end grunt I would just do what I suggested in my previous post, forget about the high end power unless you plan on taking it to the track, and put a couple thousand bucks in your pocket
Hmm since I do plan on doing some racing on a track (englishtown NJ), you think I should pick up an SV for the street and a gixxer 750 for the track?
mattorama is offline  
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:01 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattorama View Post
Hmm since I do plan on doing some racing on a track (englishtown NJ), you think I should pick up an SV for the street and a gixxer 750 for the track?
Now you're talkin'


I wish I had the cash for two bikes... that's exactly what I'd do.


Now, I'm stuck tracking my R6 as well as streeting it.

When I get some money I want to grab an sv650 for the street and set the r6 up for track-only duty.
ceo012384 is offline  
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Now you're talkin'


I wish I had the cash for two bikes... that's exactly what I'd do.


Now, I'm stuck tracking my R6 as well as streeting it.

When I get some money I want to grab an sv650 for the street and set the r6 up for track-only duty.
I know ppl who love their sv for the track
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,259
If you're scared of a litre bike you may be scared of the 750 as well...it does rock.

Just being honest...either go with the v twins suggested OR get a ...I hate to say it....but a real 600 ?

The Katana isn't in the same class with Honda 600 rr OR the R6...ZX6...or GSXR 600 imho.
z06boy is offline  
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
If you're scared of a litre bike you may be scared of the 750 as well...it does rock.

Just being honest...either go with the v twins suggested OR get a ...I hate to say it....but a real 600 ?

The Katana isn't in the same class with Honda 600 rr OR the R6...ZX6...or GSXR 600 imho.
No it's not your opinion, the Katana is nowhere NEAR the serious 600 bikes. I dont consider it on the same level, I'm just judging to see if a real 600 might be too small of a step and a 750 would be more appropriate. I aint rich and I don't want to make the wrong choice here. I would have no problem buying a gixxer 600, I just want some opinions before i take the plunge!
mattorama is offline  
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Factory Racer
 
jalaan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,022
yeah, i want one too.......
but, don't think i'm ready for the power (+ i can't afford)

'99 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-7R, My 3/4 Liter
".. speed, you can't touch it, but you damn sure can feel it! "
jalaan1 is offline  
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattorama View Post
Hmm since I do plan on doing some racing on a track (englishtown NJ), you think I should pick up an SV for the street and a gixxer 750 for the track?

what kinda racing?
dnyce is offline  
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattorama View Post
Hmm since I do plan on doing some racing on a track (englishtown NJ), you think I should pick up an SV for the street and a gixxer 750 for the track?
you can race the sv on the track... it's actually preferred for amatuers. low TCO

-a|ex
Back _Marker is offline  
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 06:27 PM
TWF Champion
 
Phenix_Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SouthWest, PA
Posts: 3,230
Send a message via AIM to Phenix_Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
When I get some money I want to grab an sv650 for the street and set the r6 up for track-only duty.
Maybe as soon as next year, I want to get a 636 to track/ride on the street while it's pretty. Definitely hanging on to my 650R though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back _Marker View Post
you can race the sv on the track... it's actually preferred for amatuers. low TCO
-a|ex
TCO??

Check This: Hot New Artist Sailing up the charts!

'07 Ninja 650R Candy Plasma Blue
Got Gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
All riders take risks- what you wear usually reflects your respect for the bike and general knowledge of riding.
Phenix_Rider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome