Sprocket change... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
Sprocket change...

Ran the bike on the track - 10.7, 1/4 mile. I know everyone does -1, +2 sprocket change, but, if I recall correctly, you loose about 25mph off your top speed. Anyone here did just -1? From what I heard it gives a good off the line boost and does not affect top speed as much. How much does it affect the speedo?
Is it a good idea to keep both TRE and PCIII?
GSXR07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Factory Racer
 
Stunt4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to Stunt4Life
On a 600 with the -1+2 i think it will realistically top around a legit 155.


WOT is more than just a throttle position, it's a LIFESTYLE
http://www.myspace.com/dicedamoderator +me
Stunt4Life is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt4Life View Post
On a 600 with the -1+2 i think it will realistically top around a legit 155.

Being that bike tops out at 183 mph, I don't want to go +2, just -1. I have plenty of power, just need little help on low end
GSXR07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM
First 1000 Member
 
mlkx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 387
Send a message via Yahoo to mlkx3
Your 600cc bike does not top out at 183mph. Not even close. Id say 160 would even be pushing it.

2006 ZX-10R
mlkx3 is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 PM
First 1000 Member
 
mlkx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 387
Send a message via Yahoo to mlkx3
http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t...ight=top+speed

Inflated numbers only show how much knowledge you don't have on the subject. There are always people who think otherwise, and this thread will surely turn into a huge debate. Find a top speed calculator online and enter the REAL weight of your bike wit you on it, then enter the REAL horsepower, and your gear ratios. You will find that without the manufaturer inflated numbers that you are way off. And I don't care what your speedo says.

2006 ZX-10R
mlkx3 is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
First 1000 Member
 
mlkx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 387
Send a message via Yahoo to mlkx3
Did some research for ya. This calculator does not take into account wind resistance and hp values, ( which is what limits the 600 ) it basically tells you that without any outside factors you are gear limited to 170 mph max. Thats using a 15,200 rpm, Primary Drive Gear Teeth (Ratio) 77/ 39 (1.974:1) , Final Drive Sprocket Teeth (Ratio) 43/16 (2.687:1) , and 6th 29/24 (1.208:1).


http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html

2006 ZX-10R
mlkx3 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkx3 View Post
Did some research for ya. This calculator does not take into account wind resistance and hp values, ( which is what limits the 600 ) it basically tells you that without any outside factors you are gear limited to 170 mph max. Thats using a 15,200 rpm, Primary Drive Gear Teeth (Ratio) 77/ 39 (1.974:1) , Final Drive Sprocket Teeth (Ratio) 43/16 (2.687:1) , and 6th 29/24 (1.208:1).


http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/misc/SpeedCalc.html
I know that every bike's speedo and tach (except hondas) is off by a certain percentage. I do, however, believe my own eyes and what I saw was 183 mph on a same bike that I have. My friend installed a camera on his 06 gixxer 600 and took it down on I-5. I am not an adrenaline junckie so i will not try to top my bike off on a street, and where I live there are simply no tracks to take my bike out full speed. Was it 183? maybe not, since speedo is always a little off. Next time I will have him put on a GPS unit so I will know for sure what the bike does.
GSXR07 is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 24
You gotta be nuts to go that fast on any California highway. Potholes, cracks, moguls.. It get's hairy in my car around 120.. I agree with everyone else to the effect that your bike probably doesn't top at 183mph. IMO it'd be stretching it down hill with a tail wind to top at 183mph on a 600.. Let alone on I-5. That's a death wish in and of itself!!
8secondQuarter is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FkX5XhhsIXY

This is a europe k7 gixxer 600 stock. See for youselves

Last edited by GSXR07; 03-17-2008 at 11:43 AM.
GSXR07 is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR07 View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FkX5XhhsIXY

This is a europe k7 gixxer 600 stock. See for youselves
Where do you see the words "stock?" Just out of curiosity. No rev limiter? Interesting.... Hmm..
8secondQuarter is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8secondQuarter View Post
Where do you see the words "stock?" Just out of curiosity. No rev limiter? Interesting.... Hmm..
That's a good point. I just googled the video and went by description.
GSXR07 is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR07 View Post
That's a good point. I just googled the video and went by description.
Not trying to be a jerk, but sometimes you have to look at the facts. Look at the post before this with the gear ratios. That right there is enough information..
8secondQuarter is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
First 1000 Member
 
mlkx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 387
Send a message via Yahoo to mlkx3
You dont get it...

Like I said before, I dont care what your speedo says. Factor in the error at top speed and that video really only shows a speed of 156mph. The new R6 is the first stock 600cc bike able to break the 170mph zone by the way.If you really have a need to go that fast, buy a liter bike. Also note how in that video the bike hits a wall where it just dont have enough hp to overcome the wind, this shows you that it didnt gear limit itself but merely ran out of power. It ran out of power at a max of 156mph, that basically means that it couldnt overcome the force of the wind at that speed. Show me another example, and I will dispute that as well.

2006 ZX-10R
mlkx3 is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
I am not trying to play "my dick is bigger that your dick" game here. I agree, though, that a stock 600 will have a hard time pulling more then 165. But I also think that is not impossible to have a 600cc bike, that has been modified by an enthusiast, such as myself, to go over 180.
GSXR07 is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Chicken Strip
 
GSXR07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkx3 View Post
Like I said before, I dont care what your speedo says. Factor in the error at top speed and that video really only shows a speed of 156mph. The new R6 is the first stock 600cc bike able to break the 170mph zone by the way.If you really have a need to go that fast, buy a liter bike. Also note how in that video the bike hits a wall where it just dont have enough hp to overcome the wind, this shows you that it didnt gear limit itself but merely ran out of power. It ran out of power at a max of 156mph, that basically means that it couldnt overcome the force of the wind at that speed. Show me another example, and I will dispute that as well.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OvxYHHRPkwI
GSXR07 is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Knee Dragger
 
warputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lake Murray, South Carolina
Posts: 455
Back to the original subject .....I can tell you that dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will cause you some small issues with chain wear. You're better off with adding teeth to the rear sprocket. Nobody wants a chain slapping their leg ....no matter what the m.p.h.

Chris
warputer is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 PM
First 1000 Member
 
mlkx3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 387
Send a message via Yahoo to mlkx3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR07 View Post
Im not into the My dick is bigger... crap either, just trying to educate you on the fact that your bike does not do the 183 mph like you stated. Not even close to it. Thats the fact and you can post as many youtube vids as you want, it will not happen. You would have to either add teeth to the front or take away on the rear, and add alot of power. Not impossible, but far from stock.

2006 ZX-10R
mlkx3 is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR07 View Post
I am not trying to play "my dick is bigger that your dick" game here. I agree, though, that a stock 600 will have a hard time pulling more then 165. But I also think that is not impossible to have a 600cc bike, that has been modified by an enthusiast, such as myself, to go over 180.
This is like arguing whether or not you can make a corvette into an 8 second car. There is a way, but there aren't many people out there doing it. All criticism aside, if you want to go that fast, save the money you would spend on mods, and buy a liter bike.
8secondQuarter is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
A stock 1k wont top 180, more like 172. But yea a1k would be easier n cheaper to mod to got faster than that. Tho anyone that goes anywhere near that fast on public roads has a deathwish n no respect for their loved ones.
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
A stock 1k wont top 180, more like 172. But yea a1k would be easier n cheaper to mod to got faster than that. Tho anyone that goes anywhere near that fast on public roads has a deathwish n no respect for their loved ones.
I said it before too!
8secondQuarter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome