Two Wheel Forums banner

Sport bikes

3K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  ptowntsi 
#1 ·
I was looking at the bike sites.. Kawi, Honda etc. I was wondering why Honda Yamaha and Suzuki don't have 250 and 500 sport bikes? You would think that they would, to help bring new and younger riders to there flock..:scratch:
Do u think they should? I do.

#4 ·
OSP beat me to it, but yeah they all make 250cc and smaller bikes everywhere else in the world. You see a lot more small displacement bikes than 600cc+ in other countries, us americans just like the big bikes for some damn reason.

#10 ·
I know Kawasaki makes the EX500, and 250, which are technically sportbikes, although the 500 to me is more or less a sport tourer without saddlebags.

Suzuki, theres the GS500 E and F series, the F model being styled much like the K4/5 GSXR in a way.

Honda has the CBR125, I think 250, and 500 in europe, but they REALLY should import them to the US.

Yamaha, I have no idea about.

#13 ·
bikes

I have a Ninja 500. First street bike. I love it. Going 2 upgrade to a 600 next year. Just going to the sites had me thinking.
My daughter is 14 going on 15 and she wants a Honda. She doesn't want a Kawi like her Old man. And I wont let her start on a 600. Want some thing smaller. I guess she could use my bike but that is still 2 big for my likes....

#14 ·
I have a Ninja 500. First street bike. I love it. Going 2 upgrade to a 600 next year. Just going to the sites had me thinking.
My daughter is 14 going on 15 and she wants a Honda. She doesn't want a Kawi like her Old man. And I wont let her start on a 600. Want some thing smaller. I guess she could use my bike but that is still 2 big for my likes....
Honda does sell the 125cc in the US but it isnt street legal. You may look into what it would cost to but it n make it street legal. :dthumb:

#22 ·
Yup they don't sell any of the smaller bikes here it is a shame truly. You can think the market for it same reason speed channel sucks. I like big fast bikes, but I wish some of the smaller ones were more widely available. Look at cruisers though riding an 883 sportster is likely to get you laughed out of just about any bar full of drunk harley squids for riding a womens bike. In the cruiser world the heavier and more ungainly the bike you ride the cooler you are so.....:idk: this is america land of straight roads hell look at american made cars versus foreign cars in overall design. They are not as different now because of high fuel prices but american cars are traditionally bigger higher horsepower and crappier handling than foreign cars.

#26 ·
Honda has really old models of cbr 250r, they're really rare but they do exist and look pretty nice too. They were made in the 80's mainly called the baby hurricane and only sold in Japan and other euro countries I believe.

Yamaha also made a 250cc and 400cc bike in the 80s, "race replicas" from my knowledge. They're called Fzr 400's and fzr 250. I think a quick google search for images and they'll pop up.
Suzuki however, I have no idea??:idk:

IMO I think the companys' were just compeating with Kawasaki, who had the ninja 250 in the late 80s and wanted to introduce new smaller displacement bikes to new riders, and experienced riders.

#27 ·
bikes

Well there is a demand for small bikes.. Look at the Honda reflex 250. Or the 250 rebel. But no sport bike. Is honda saying if u want small cc bikes u have to ride a crusier or scooter? Yamaha has only scooters that are 250 and 400 but know sport or crusier bikes?

#28 ·
I think major motorcycle companys don't care about having small displacement because if a person learns on a Kawasaki 250 they're more likely to buy a honda, a suzuki, or maybe they'll be brand loyal and buy a kawasaki 600cc. (What they really wanted in the first place.)
People don't keep their first bikes for too long for the majority anyway.

#38 ·
Honda has smaller machines like the 400RR, and the 250RR. Not sure of their production years though.

Not in the states sadly. I'm not sure what the business logic is there. I think they would do well here and do well in what is traditionally a market share dominated by Kawasaki.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.