Do you agree or disagree - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
View Poll Results: The method shown in the video is the ______ way to remove a helmet of a crashed rider
correct 7 41.18%
wrong 5 29.41%
I dont need a helmet i am a Magnificent rider. 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 429
Do you agree or disagree

How to remove the helmet of a crashed riders head

http://bikerpunks.com/videos/how-to-...sh-helmet.html
logan1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
procedure appears correct but its best left to the EMTs if the down rider is unable to remove it themselves.
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
procedure appears correct but its best left to the EMTs if the down rider is unable to remove it themselves.
God Damn postwhore got in before i could get the poll up and running.
logan1 is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1 View Post
God Damn postwhore got in before i could get the poll up and running.
:
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

 
vabarber2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: VA, but currently in the sand!
Posts: 3,693
Send a message via AIM to vabarber2 Send a message via Yahoo to vabarber2 Send a message via Skype™ to vabarber2
If the rider cant take their own helmet off then leave it on! and do a little extra supporting of the neck! You can never tell with those spinal injurys and I know I dont want to be the reason someone never walks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabarber2 View Post
~Riding is you making sweet love with the bike and the road! Dont let no girl get between that!
vabarber2 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned
 
trock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The fix
Posts: 2,149
Send a message via MSN to trock
Don't take it off and tell the down rider to leave it on.

Now that I watched it, even when they open the shield it jarred his head a ton.
trock is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:12 PM
TWF Champion
 
SVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,631
Send a message via Yahoo to SVRider
try this.
nope, still dumb

No vid comes up when i click the link, and i can't get it to embed either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
they make the one i posted in a strap on version

Last edited by SVRider; 12-27-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: can't embed.
SVRider is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 911
A buddy of mine is a Life Flight paramedic who use to race motorcycles and will be getting a motorcycle fairly soon. I can ask him.

But if the crash is serious best to leave it to the EMTs.
Atlantasmittie84 is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:55 AM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,934
They kept referring to him as 'the casualty'... if that's the case, it doesn't matter which way you take off the helmet!!!!




But really...
Step 1, call 911.
Step 2, try to keep the person calm.
ceo012384 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Rae
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,213
I have to agree with this method.

I realize that if the rider is actually injured you need to call paramedics, but in most cases, unless the rider has seriously broken something or is missing body parts who is really going to call 911???

Unless I am dying, I will kick my friends a$$es if they call 911 because around here, if the cops show up you are automatically at fault, stupid, reckless, getting some kinda ticket and getting screwed by the whole system.

So, all the accidents we have participated in have gone pretty much like this: Rider goes down, we all stop, someone makes sure riders body is stable, rider is not allowed to move until we check'em out, we check entire body for injuries more than once, check for finger/toe feeling, broken bones, etc., only after we have reassured ourselves and the rider there is NO INJURY we then proceed with removing the helmet pretty much as shown in the vid, except slower for less movement. Even if the rider thinks they are uninjured, we dont allow them to remove the helmet, we do it so the neck and head are stabilized at all times. Only then do we get the rider up and moving and start picking up the pieces.

Obviously however, if there is injury of the type requiring paramedics, we would not remove the helmet.
Rae is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 AM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,586
Umm, let the trained and INSURED people do it!
smileyman is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Contest Winner
'07 Rally Veteran
November 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cbus, OH, and about 100,000 posts behind the post whore
Posts: 7,649
Send a message via AIM to drewpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
I have to agree with this method.

I realize that if the rider is actually injured you need to call paramedics, but in most cases, unless the rider has seriously broken something or is missing body parts who is really going to call 911???

Unless I am dying, I will kick my friends a$$es if they call 911 because around here, if the cops show up you are automatically at fault, stupid, reckless, getting some kinda ticket and getting screwed by the whole system.

So, all the accidents we have participated in have gone pretty much like this: Rider goes down, we all stop, someone makes sure riders body is stable, rider is not allowed to move until we check'em out, we check entire body for injuries more than once, check for finger/toe feeling, broken bones, etc., only after we have reassured ourselves and the rider there is NO INJURY we then proceed with removing the helmet pretty much as shown in the vid, except slower for less movement. Even if the rider thinks they are uninjured, we dont allow them to remove the helmet, we do it so the neck and head are stabilized at all times. Only then do we get the rider up and moving and start picking up the pieces.

Obviously however, if there is injury of the type requiring paramedics, we would not remove the helmet.


when are you ever around a downed rider? esp one that jumps up, makes a stupid face, and continues the ride



"It takes alot of anything to make my bike to something"
2001 RC51
drewpy is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Rae
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
when are you ever around a downed rider? esp one that jumps up, makes a stupid face, and continues the ride

Well CERTAIN riders manage to take care of crap before the rest of us know what happened...

but unfortunately in the sunshine state we get lots of riders that 1) arent paying attention or 2) bigger than their britches...thus the rest of us get to stop the ride and pick'em up and dust'em off!!
Rae is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
Well CERTAIN riders manage to take care of crap before the rest of us know what happened...

but unfortunately in the sunshine state we get lots of riders that 1) arent paying attention or 2) bigger than their britches...thus the rest of us get to stop the ride and pick'em up and dust'em off!!
how do ya crash on a straight road?? j/k
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Rae
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
how do ya crash on a straight road?? j/k

Hey watch it BUB!! We do have a few with a slight curve, we just gotta go huntin'em down and keep them the best kept secret round these parts!!
Rae is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
how do ya crash on a straight road?? j/k
You stop to take a left at the stop light with your stretched 360 rear Busa and your flip flop gets caught in the shifter.

Just a note. My friends would watch this video then probably kick my helmet. (They're not too smart). For example one buddy of mine got hurt bad on a BMX jump so we called a Gay Telephone Sex place and put it to his ear. Man was he cussing.
Atlantasmittie84 is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 05:48 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,316
this is best left to the EMT's on scene... BUT if you have to do CPR and you MUST remove the helmet... this is how to do it.
ebbs15 is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 AM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
procedure appears correct but its best left to the EMTs if the down rider is unable to remove it themselves.


You should never remove the helmet of a downed rider. Let a medical professional do it.
Rider is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
I vote #3. No helmet...no need to remove.



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome