Two Wheel Forums banner

turn signal problems

5K views 40 replies 7 participants last post by  ls1ssws6 
#1 ·
so my front turn signals havent been working since i bought the bike and i decided to figure it out today...took off the front headlight and the fuse panel covering and saw that there is no fuse in the turn signal fuse slot, then upon further inspection i realized there is no metal piece to connect the fuse ends to the fuse box in that slot....now is it easier to replace the fuse box or can i just get that metal piece and slide it into the fuse box?

also im guessing the front and rear turn signals run off of a different fuse cause my rears work fine just not the front??? help me out guys

sorry forgot to say the bike is a 98 honda 900rr

#2 ·
Do the front signal lights work as driving lights? If not, there is probably no power there at all. Without seeing the fuse box, it might just be easier to splice in a power lead to the signals with an in-line fuse. You would probably need a wiring diagram for your bike to find the wire for driving and the wire for turning.

#3 ·
ok i sorta kinda figured it out im adding these pictures and try to follow along with what im saying, im not good with the names of the parts but im gonna try....

ok in the first pciture it shows the wiring going to the front right turn signal, you see the red and black wire which are connected which looks like no problem, then in the second picture you can see the "washer" right below the spring which shows the 2nd black wire that is welded to the "washer" but doesnt hook up to anything after the weld, so im guessing that is my problem?

now heres the thing on the other side it is not welded but the 2nd black wire is coming out of a connector that is orange in color (picture 3), but on the right side the side that IS welded the connector that it looks like its supposed to hook up to is blue with white stripes (picture 4)... i hope i explained this correct HELP!!!!!

#5 ·
Like Marco says, you need the wiring diagram for your bike. The wiring diagram for my 1990 CBR1000 (completely different from the 900) says the orange, green, and orange/white wires go to the left bulb. The orange wire is power, the green is ground, and the orange/white wire goes to the turn signal switch. On my bike, the blue/white wire goes from the dimmer switch to the starter switch. I think it switches off the headlights when I crank the starter motor.

#6 ·
i have the clymers manual and its kinda confussing but it looks like the blue/white wire front he right turn signal goes to a box that says "turn signal switch" and is three parts to that switch R,N,and L so im guessing the r is right the l is left and the n is neutral meaning the running light?

#9 ·
I don't know about your wiring... but for reference you don't have or want to have any 'welds'... you want to solder (pronounced 'sodder')... you will need a soldering iron and a roll of solder and some wire strippers. Look up online how to solder and practice soldering two wires together with some scrap before you try it on your bike. :luck:

#15 ·
You said there was no power hook up in the fuse box as in somebody removed it? NW said... to find power and use a in-line fuse instead of the factory fuse box opening.

Is the problem at the fuse box or at the light? Seems like there may be some confusion here...

#16 ·
yea sorry i didnt clear it up...i was looking at the fuse panel upside down so i was reading it wrong...the fuses are there and OK from what it seems, there is one fuse for the rear and front turn signals and the rear work fine so i believe the problem is at the light itself specifically where those wires in the picture are not hooked up....im at work now til 7am then im goin home and am going to solder the one wire and connect the other one and see if it works....

if not i guess ill have to take it to the dealer :bash:

#21 ·
Update...

so on the left i soldered the ground wire and put the bulb in and turned the bike on and the light comes right on for the constant running front signal BUT when i hit the turn signal the light goes out and doesnt blink, then turn the signal off and the light comes back on :idk:

then the right side i put the wire into where it looked like it was suppossed to be and the light still doenst come on but when the wire is in there the right blinker on the instrument panel stays lit up and doesnt go out until i take the wire out, and when i hit the right turn signal it doesnt flash or anything, again :idk:

so im gonna just take it to the dealer and have then fix the lights i dont want to mess with it anymore im at wits end its probably something stupid just have them fix it so i know its done right, unless someone knows what this problem could be coming from....
:cursin: :cursin:

#24 ·
so i went to the dealer and picked up some front turn signals only one problem...comeing from my bike there are three wires, a red a black and another black which im pretty sure is the ground...but on the turn signals there is only a black and a green wire...how would this set up work?

#26 ·
Your bike is set up to have running lights and indicator lights... i.e. the turn signal is on low light at all times, and flashes back and forth between low light and bright when the signal is on. You bought signals meant for no running lights, i.e. just on and off. If you care, go back to the dealer (or online... try targa accessories, they are pretty good) and buy '3-wire' turn signals. If you don't care, just don't use the running light wire.

#29 · (Edited)
haha true...i have HID headlights so i guess you have a valid point....

i paid 40 bucks for these at my local honda dealer

but im gonna return it and get these for the front

and these for the rear
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-...006QQitemZ160156355517QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

which comes to 40 for both and IMO they look better than the clear ones i have from the honda dealer now....

has anyone used this or heard anything about it? if its legal/good or not

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TAIL...013QQitemZ230085883954QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

#41 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.