Two Wheel Forums banner

Painted my garage floor

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
Took three gallons for a two-car garage, but wow does it look nice. The only bad part about the whole thing is that I have to leave the bike outside for a week while it cures. :blush:

I used Rust-oleum epoxy paint, without the decorative flecks. It's smooth now, ought to clean up nicely! :D

#3 ·
Nice - I just did the same last week but I used the easy floor paint (1-part) with primer. Probably not going to hold up nearly as long as epoxy but I already have the car in the garage. ;)

The tiles are cool too - just a bit expensive.

#11 ·
Hey Shan, how has this held up???

I know that every year, regardless of which type or brand, the cold and the salt just beat it up and it startes to peal a bit, where the garage floor is outside the garage door.

It sucks...how's yours?

#12 ·
I used that epoxy paint on my garage last year and its not holding up too good in a few spots...i think this summer im gonna lay down those tiles and be done with it....garage is a single and its not heated all the time....but it does look great when its first done with the epoxy paint....good luck with yours.. :thumbs:

#13 ·
looks more like a kitchen to me :lol: buut its nice :dthumb: :twfrox:

#14 ·
Yeah, I used a oil based garage floor paint and it didn't work so well. So I repreped it and used the Rustoleom Epoxy paint. And I already have 3 spots that have pealed out where the garage closes.... mostly the part of the conrete that is outside all the time....

How much are those tiles???

#15 ·
Good Luck, it looks great now, hopefully it stays. I've never met anyone in Michigan whos painted garage floor hasn't peeled. They look awesome for about six months and then start falling apart. The only systems I've seen that have any staying power are professionally applied systems like those used in industrial bildings and warehouses, but even those tend to need retreating after five to ten years of heavy hi-lo traffic.

#16 ·
I reaaaallly need to do this to my garage. Right now (since we moved in) it's had this funky berber carpet. After a year of living here, with 2 cars and 2 motorcycles, and all oil changes being done here, this carpet is getting seriously nasty! Any little oil spillage (which there's always a little, cuz I never get the pan in just the right spot, LOL) just soaks in and stays there. It's getting to where it's oil soaked pretty much anywhere you step... no good. I want to rip it out and paint it soon for sure.. be a good time to clean it out too, it's such a mess right now! :whistle:

#17 ·
we have bought the house new about 3 years ago and we havent even painted the walls yet!!!!! :nonod:

#18 ·
Acid Stain

have any of u acid stained it? Same hting they do for stamped concrete.. It holds up to anything.. and is easy to clean up, u cna even mix it with a slight amount of sand to make it grip very well.

#19 ·
ScottSellersUNR said:
have any of u acid stained it? Same hting they do for stamped concrete.. It holds up to anything.. and is easy to clean up, u cna even mix it with a slight amount of sand to make it grip very well.
we did something like that for our pool in the back though not in the garodge

#20 ·
Shan, looks like you did a great job on this this past summer. You say the paint is pretty resistant to all sorts of fluids such as not flaking or taking it off. Does it still stain or does it wipe off just as easy and not stain?

#21 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
Shan, looks like you did a great job on this this past summer. You say the paint is pretty resistant to all sorts of fluids such as not flaking or taking it off. Does it still stain or does it wipe off just as easy and not stain?

Everything just wipes up, it's great.

One thing, when it's wet it's VERY slippery.

#22 ·
The 2 part epoxy products will hold up to virtually all household and auto spills. The most important thing with the epoxies, and they don't stress this enough, is preparing the base. My company has installed/laid these type of floors since 1997 in commercial and industrial applications. We have seen no problems or performed any recoats. If you want the application to hold, prepare the base following the instructions to the point of overkill, especially along edges, corners and areas that will be exposed to weather and sun. we had a media-blasting machine that would prep the concrete for us before we laid the sealer. If you have even the faintest spot of oil or moisture or grime, the product won't stay down. That is why they tell you to wait on new pours, they have to cure. The epoxies you buy at auto zone or pep boys are fair, but I can turn you on to some truly awesome products that will last.

#23 ·
I agree, preparing the concrete is critical. I used two different kinds of cleaner, one a citrus based acid wash. I also used my power washer, then let it sit overnight. The preparation took almost as long as the paint application. But, with out it, you're wasting your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.