520 Chain Conversion. - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
520 Chain Conversion.

What does that mean and what does it do?



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:55 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
It converts your old chain (usually wider and heavier) to a lighter narrower chain with a different pitch to it. Doesn't last quite as long as, say a 530 chain does, but will quicken your throttle response a little because your motor doesn't have to turn a heavier chain. you would have to buy new sprockets as well too. My bike comes stock with a 525 chain and it's not too much bigger than a 520 so I think I'll keep it.

From waht I've heard it's the thing to do.
DLIT is offline  
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLITALIEN
It converts your old chain (usually wider and heavier) to a lighter narrower chain with a different pitch to it. Doesn't last quite as long as, say a 530 chain does, but will quicken your throttle response a little because your motor doesn't have to turn a heavier chain. you would have to buy new sprockets as well too. My bike comes stock with a 525 chain and it's not too much bigger than a 520 so I think I'll keep it.

From waht I've heard it's the thing to do.
Yeah from what I understand alot of people do it. I have no idea whats on my bike now. I haven't changed it since I've had it.



marko138 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:03 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
Yeah from what I understand alot of people do it. I have no idea whats on my bike now. I haven't changed it since I've had it.
Proly a 530 or something like that.
DLIT is offline  
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLITALIEN
Proly a 530 or something like that.
It's possible. I have never changed it. The previous owner would have had to I would think.



marko138 is offline  
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
520's are noticeably thin. just looking at a stock chain (maybe at a dealership) and measuring that against your bike might tell you what you got. You could always look at the sprocket too. If it looks stock (plain and boring) chances are you have stock stuff on there.
DLIT is offline  
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
I'm guessing stock...my chain is beefy.



marko138 is offline  
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
You gonna hook it up?
DLIT is offline  
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:19 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,513
Actually, the reason a lot of people do the 520 conversion is just like what DL said. It makes the chain lighter and in turn less rotational inertia. Also, 99% of people who do the chain conversion change the sprockets to take away a tooth in the front and add some some teeth to the back. That way the biek accelarates a lot quicker. It is the best mod you can do to a bike to get more speed.

And if your chain is clean enough, just look at the links on the chain and one of them will tell you the size. I am running a 525 chain on my bike but I went up +10 teeth in the back for wheelies.
99birdv6 is offline  
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLITALIEN
You gonna hook it up?
Yeah I'm about due for a chain...I keep it well maintained so it will probly get me through the season.


Have you seen the chains with the colored links? I can't decide if they are sweet or swoot.



marko138 is offline  
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
Yeah I'm about due for a chain...I keep it well maintained so it will probly get me through the season.


Have you seen the chains with the colored links? I can't decide if they are sweet or swoot.
I'm not a fan of the colored chains. Some look good, but some look bad. Depends which bike it's on i guess.
DLIT is offline  
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99birdv6
Actually, the reason a lot of people do the 520 conversion is just like what DL said. It makes the chain lighter and in turn less rotational inertia. Also, 99% of people who do the chain conversion change the sprockets to take away a tooth in the front and add some some teeth to the back. That way the biek accelarates a lot quicker. It is the best mod you can do to a bike to get more speed.

And if your chain is clean enough, just look at the links on the chain and one of them will tell you the size. I am running a 525 chain on my bike but I went up +10 teeth in the back for wheelies.
I won't be doing no 10 tooth jones on mine. Dang. Maybe one down in the front.



marko138 is offline  
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
I won't be doing no 10 tooth jones on mine. Dang. Maybe one down in the front.
1 down, 1 up. that's what I'd do. your gonna need a speedo healer if you give a crap about your actual speed though.
DLIT is offline  
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:23 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
I won't be doing no 10 tooth jones on mine. Dang. Maybe one down in the front.

When I had the 600RR, I went down one in the front and it made a huge difference. I am actually going to put the stock one back on the SV and go one down in the front too. +10 is a lil much for everyday riding.

But dont forget that your speedometer is going to be off more than it already is when you change sprockets.
99birdv6 is offline  
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99birdv6
When I had the 600RR, I went down one in the front and it made a huge difference. I am actually going to put the stock one back on the SV and go one down in the front too. +10 is a lil much for everyday riding.

But dont forget that your speedometer is going to be off more than it already is when you change sprockets.
Speedo connects to the front wheel.



marko138 is offline  
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:26 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
Speedo connects to the front wheel.
LUCKY YOU.
DLIT is offline  
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:28 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
Speedo connects to the front wheel.

Yes sir it does. My SV is the same way.

The sprocket makes the bike think that it is going faster than it really is because the chain and smaller sprocket is moving the crank faster.
99birdv6 is offline  
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLITALIEN
LUCKY YOU.
Plus the needle is broke...so I go by the tach.



marko138 is offline  
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLITALIEN
I'm not a fan of the colored chains. Some look good, but some look bad. Depends which bike it's on i guess.
I was thinking either yellow to match the wheels or blue to match the subtle strips on there.



marko138 is offline  
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:34 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138
I was thinking either yellow to match the wheels or blue to match the subtle strips on there.
Not my cup o tea, but I think black would look cool on my bike. i would never do it though. Get a gold DID.
DLIT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome