I decided to put unspent Christmas money (my mom and stepdad still 'owe' me from last year) towards some luggage. I got the saddlebags and a few other things last week, and it was a good 90+ degrees in the garage, so I decided to start wrenching!
First I tried the saddlebags just over the seat to see if they would even fit. Not too bad for a sportbike. So then I set out to get them strapped across under the seat instead of on top. I pulled the little grab handles off because I knew they wouldn't fit with them on. After I got it all situated the handles really would fit so I put em back on! Doh. Then I retrieved the stock tie downs from the rear fender which I eliminated earlier in the year. It wasn't too hard to figure out how to put just that part back on, but I should really pick up some washers because tightening the bolts pulls the tie down piece through the soft plastic undertail. End result is the saddlebags go under the seat, strap to the tie downs in the back, and strap to each other under the tail. Whew.
Now that I was sweating like a pig anyway I decided to try my hand at wiring up some new front signals. They have a clear lens with amber LEDs so match the aftermarket rear better. And, they don't stick out like bug eyes on the front. They don't really fit too well and they 'mount' using double sided 3M stuff so I'm not sure how they will last. These probably aren't an end solution but for now they will work.
Putting so much work into the bike made me rethink frame sliders and I scored a set. They are supposed to be long enough to protect my plastics as well as the frame. I don't have a torque wrench or locktite
but they are on there pretty solid. Before any long hauls I will have to get them tightened down properly.
That brings us to yesterday...
Picked up the tailbag the previous night and the whole system works like a charm. One of the reasons I wanted to make sure the saddles were so secure is that this tailbag hooks right into them. It can also be used separate, but I was going for the whole setup. And, I caved into the bling. I put stickers on my bike! Well, on the rims anyway. I have always had a respect for decalers, and now that respect is renewed. There are some bubbles, very wavy curves (not supposed to be), and even a few pieces of grit under the stickers. Lol. I was going to get all agitated about it, but for $10 I can just buy more stickers later.
Before you ask, there aren't presentable pics yet because she is so dirty. I hope to fix that this afternoon.