Renthal Bar Question... - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Renthal Bar Question...

I'm in the process of replacing the factory steel bars with Rental Street fighter bars on a 2001 Suzuki Bandit. The factory switch(s) control brackets have small (pin) dimples that fit into holes on each side of the factory steel bars to keep them moving when tightened.
Do you have any opinions on how to deal with these when converting to the Renthal bars? I was considering drilling same small shallow holes in the Rentals the same size ond location in order to duplicate the same fit as the steel stock bars.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
onewayhtr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:04 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayhtr
I'm in the process of replacing the factory steel bars with Rental Street fighter bars on a 2001 Suzuki Bandit. The factory switch(s) control brackets have small (pin) dimples that fit into holes on each side of the factory steel bars to keep them moving when tightened.
Do you have any opinions on how to deal with these when converting to the Renthal bars? I was considering drilling same small shallow holes in the Rentals the same size ond location in order to duplicate the same fit as the steel stock bars.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.
First off onewayhtr
second: I replaced the bars on my SV. Yes, you should drill those holes in the same location on the new bars. Just make sure you drill equal and lined up on both sides of the bars.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Great Forum!
Thanks for the fast reply!

It seems that drilling would be the best way to go, I just wasn't sure about comprmising strength.. The Renthals are stronger bars to begin with, but its good to get some additional thoughts/comments...

Additional comments welcome... I'll keep you posted on the progess.
Thanks.
onewayhtr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:42 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayhtr
Great Forum!
Thanks for the fast reply!

It seems that drilling would be the best way to go, I just wasn't sure about comprmising strength.. The Renthals are stronger bars to begin with, but its good to get some additional thoughts/comments...

Additional comments welcome... I'll keep you posted on the progess.
Thanks.
but
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:42 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayhtr
Great Forum!
Thanks for the fast reply!

It seems that drilling would be the best way to go, I just wasn't sure about comprmising strength.. The Renthals are stronger bars to begin with, but its good to get some additional thoughts/comments...

Additional comments welcome... I'll keep you posted on the progess.
Thanks.







-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks!

I'll try and get some pics posted over the weekend. My cam is MIA.
onewayhtr is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
to TWF onewayhtr
The bars don't come pre drilled for a universal and custom fit. They may fit other bikes and you may decide to move the location of the controls a bit for your comfort.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:19 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,687
Measure Twice drill once.... be accurate so u dont waste money.


Did u change bars for just weight savings or are they changing the positioning as well?
ScottSellersUNR is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks for the feedback! Bars came out great. I'm still waiting on an op. to get some pics. Gold Renthals & bar ends on a burgandy 01 GSF 1200.

The rise is amost the same as the factory bars, the Renthals are just a bit wider. The weather hasn't permitted to ride enough to tell true difference... other than psychological because of the better looks.
onewayhtr is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayhtr
Thanks for the feedback! Bars came out great. I'm still waiting on an op. to get some pics. Gold Renthals & bar ends on a burgandy 01 GSF 1200.

The rise is amost the same as the factory bars, the Renthals are just a bit wider. The weather hasn't permitted to ride enough to tell true difference... other than psychological because of the better looks.
Ya man get us some pics... upload them to the gallery!!






-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome