gonna hit the drags for the first time - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
gonna hit the drags for the first time

on the 23rd im going to hit the drag strip. midnight drags kick ass. this will be the first run i will make on my bike. any tips from those of you that have done it before. i def need to work on my starts of the line
SperosSV650 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 03:57 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 149
You will love it and may even get hooked on it, I need a lot of help coming off the line too, but just take your time with the throttle and no matter what just keep making passes and try to beat your time,
pobrediablo is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
Do you know how to prep your bike for drag racing? Do you know how to strap the front end down? Do you have a clue as to what you are doing, or are you just going to tear your bike up??
bumblebee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
hey I've still got some parts left over if ya mess up your SV!
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:14 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 32
thats awesome man i want to try going to the drag strip 2 sometime, lowering links might nto be a bad idea if u want to keep your biek from lifting,straps 2
ScottHimself2 is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
i never thought of any of that stuff. but when ive tried to race it, it hasnt come off the ground enough to matter
SperosSV650 is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
it just comes up a little in first

all i have to do it just lean forward
SperosSV650 is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee
Do you know how to prep your bike for drag racing? Do you know how to strap the front end down? Do you have a clue as to what you are doing, or are you just going to tear your bike up??
y dont you help me out
SperosSV650 is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,314
What are some good tire pressures for dragging?
JK_DILLA is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:41 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
try 25psi in the rear....dont worry about tying the front end down for your first time at the track.....biggest thing i tell new guys is for the first run, just run it like your leaving the lights on the street to get the feel of the track....the drag strip is sticky and it will give you traction youve never had on a street...

after your first run, then bring the revs up to 4,000-5,000 rpm and slip the clutch out a little then get it wide open right away....look at the 60' time on your time slip...you want to be around 1.8 for a decent run...the whole drag race is in the 60' time.......once you get into the 1.7-1.6 sec 60' times then its time to strap the front end down etc
GsxrJack is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:46 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
lean towards the front of the tank so you don't go flying off the back..keep your body weight to the front once you take off.
Taking off at 4,000-5,000 on an SV can be VERY tricky!! You will really have to slip that clutch! Other wise you are going over backwards.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVupON1
lean towards the front of the tank so you don't go flying off the back..keep your body weight to the front once you take off.
Taking off at 4,000-5,000 on an SV can be VERY tricky!! You will really have to slip that clutch! Other wise you are going over backwards.
what about reving it over and over and then letting it fly when it turns green. i tried that a bit ton and i was a bit faster than the other ways i tried
SperosSV650 is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SperosSV650
what about reving it over and over and then letting it fly when it turns green. i tried that a bit ton and i was a bit faster than the other ways i tried
Hmm that could be a bit risky if you twist back too far that one time when you take off that will send you flipping off the back end too. You should stick to keeping a steady medium rev and slipping the clutch as soon as it turns yellow. Don't wait for that green to hit..you will have a slow reaction time that way.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVupON1
Hmm that could be a bit risky if you twist back too far that one time when you take off that will send you flipping off the back end too. You should stick to keeping a steady medium rev and slipping the clutch as soon as it turns yellow. Don't wait for that green to hit..you will have a slow reaction time that way.
ive got a couple of weeks to perfect it. i tried that but i cant seem to get off that fast
SperosSV650 is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SperosSV650
ive got a couple of weeks to perfect it. i tried that but i cant seem to get off that fast
With some practice you will eventually get it.
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVupON1
With some practice you will eventually get it.
tips???
SperosSV650 is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:01 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,687
its all in the clutch, revs and body position... you just gotta get osme runs in first... then when u know what u do u cna work on and ask for improvement.... but get off the line quick..... higher u rev the more u will clutch. geti t moving and clutch out fast.... but dont bog it...
Dont air down unless u are ready to slip the rear off the line.. and then without a bar u run the risk of looping the bike if your not quick to react when it vccatches traction.... just slip it for now....

BTW--- Friends best on his STOCK EVERYTHING SV was 12.2....if u have slip on and filter and maybe a PC3 u should hit 11's.. or even stock u can hit em.... if u run a 11.9 be proud... a 12.2 be happy..... a 12.5 and u need to practice MUCH more
ScottSellersUNR is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSellersUNR
its all in the clutch, revs and body position... you just gotta get osme runs in first... then when u know what u do u cna work on and ask for improvement.... but get off the line quick..... higher u rev the more u will clutch. geti t moving and clutch out fast.... but dont bog it...
Dont air down unless u are ready to slip the rear off the line.. and then without a bar u run the risk of looping the bike if your not quick to react when it vccatches traction.... just slip it for now....

BTW--- Friends best on his STOCK EVERYTHING SV was 12.2....if u have slip on and filter and maybe a PC3 u should hit 11's.. or even stock u can hit em.... if u run a 11.9 be proud... a 12.2 be happy..... a 12.5 and u need to practice MUCH more
in english???
SperosSV650 is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:08 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by SperosSV650
in english???
I understand it! Don't worry about a PC3...thats for 03-05 SV's...you don't have fuel injection so thats elimiated.
A full exhuast, BMC race air filter and a race clutch will help the most!
R1up0n1 is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVupON1
I understand it! Don't worry about a PC3...thats for 03-05 SV's...you don't have fuel injection so thats elimiated.
A full exhuast, BMC race air filter and a race clutch will help the most!
thats doable
SperosSV650 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome