Whats the Hardest I can launch without lifting the front wheel - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 153
Whats the Hardest I can launch without lifting the front wheel

I know there are way too many variables to give a difinitive answer. But how about a ball park.. Lets say at the track in 1/4 mile, what is the hardest i can launch with my gsxr 750 thats mostly stock. What is the best method, dump the clutch @ 4-5K rpm and put all my weight to the front, or should i be slipping the clutch. Should I be expecting any wheel spin, or is hooking up not too big a deal here.

at what point is my front wheel going to come off the ground
Monster231 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,147
You need to PM GSXR Jack...he does some drag racing
bumblebee is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:29 PM
V-Twin Moddin
 
Gas Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 38,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee
You need to PM GSXR Jack...he does some drag racing


But as you said...there is not general answer to this... depends on the bike, its power, the track, the person riding, the weather, way too many variables!

Besides, no newbie should ever try this for a few years at least...




-Chris
aka Gas Man



Was: 2002 Kaw ZX-9R
IS:


is me till the
Gas Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 153
I use to be able launch my dirt bike, really hard, but there was a considerable amount of wheel spin and the bike weighed half as much. Plus i could position myselg on top of the tank. I really was not asking for racing purposes, but more for not lifting the wheel reasons
Monster231 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:50 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,654
Rev it to the red line and feather the clutch out. Simple...


After I learned that, I havent had any problems getting to the front of the pack on the start.
twisty is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 614
I read a great article by Daryll Beattie a lot of years ago, when he first got into GP. I'll never forget how he described slightly riding the back brake to allow him to put more power on without lifting the front. Apparently there is downward force transmitted to the bike via the swingarm, without sacrificing too much power.

I've never tried it, though. Not much call for it on my bikes, not even the "big-block" Cagiva 125 Mito


Chuckademus is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster231
I know there are way too many variables to give a difinitive answer. But how about a ball park.. Lets say at the track in 1/4 mile, what is the hardest i can launch with my gsxr 750 thats mostly stock. What is the best method, dump the clutch @ 4-5K rpm and put all my weight to the front, or should i be slipping the clutch. Should I be expecting any wheel spin, or is hooking up not too big a deal here.

at what point is my front wheel going to come off the ground
cant just dump the clutch, have to slip it...especially on a 750...best is to bring the revs to 6-7k, let the clutch out and as soon as the clutch grabs get it to full throttle while slipping the clutch,,,,,dont worry about the front wheel comming off the ground, as long as you dont have to back off the throttle a little lifting of the front wheel is fine....just takes a lot of practice thats all...
GsxrJack is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Moderator
Lifetime Gold Supporting Member
'07 Rally Veteran
 
jeeps84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Western N.C. (The Great Smoky Mountains)
Posts: 20,168
Send a message via MSN to jeeps84
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrJack
cant just dump the clutch, have to slip it...especially on a 750...best is to bring the revs to 6-7k, let the clutch out and as soon as the clutch grabs get it to full throttle while slipping the clutch,,,,,dont worry about the front wheel comming off the ground, as long as you dont have to back off the throttle a little lifting of the front wheel is fine....just takes a lot of practice thats all...
That sums it up for any condition except maybe spinning. You as the rider will have to learn where your bikes lifts and be able to feel the rear break lose. Till your comfortable with it. Take it slow.

Submit your ride for the TWF Bike of the Month here


Currently ride 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 2005 GSXR 1000
jeeps84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome