Two Wheel Forums banner

new guy lookin for some R6 info

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  kabibrian 
#1 ·
im lookin to buy my first street bike, and i've been a diehard yamaha fan since i was a kid with a three wheeler. Im just gettin in to bikes, so i need to catch up on some facts. i definately wanna start off with an r6, but i'd like to know stuff like what year they went to fuel injection, what years are good or bad, etc. kind of a general history lesson all summed up, just so i dont find an r6 for a great deal and find out that it was the worst year for them or somethin like that.

#2 ·
you want some apple pie too? use the search function, use the google function, use the easy button, use something...

you need to worry less about the bike you're going to get and a little more about the realities of learning to ride. like how to do it safely. where to get training. what gear to look into. etc etc etc.

Me thinks you have a lot of misconceptions about riding, especially sport bikes.

Somebody post my linky link. i took it out of my sig in leu of my leathers fund.

#3 ·
you want some apple pie too? use the search function, use the google function, use the easy button, use something...

you need to worry less about the bike you're going to get and a little more about the realities of learning to ride. like how to do it safely. where to get training. what gear to look into. etc etc etc.

Me thinks you have a lot of misconceptions about riding, especially sport bikes.

Somebody post my linky link. i took it out of my sig in leu of my leathers fund.
That fund is a damn good trade off though.

But Im with nts on this. Its cool that you have experience on dirtbikes and quads and everything, but last time I checked, there werent women driving 4000 pound suvs while talking on the cell phones about to run you over on the trails. Worry about being safe before what youre on.

#4 ·
cosign w/ none too soft.

if youre ready to buy a bike like the r6, you better make sure u do lotsa research before u dump $$ on a bike u don't like....or cant handle....
and im talkin bout reading up on articles and such, sitting on some, yada yada yada....
but all the best luck to u though...:dthumb:

#6 ·
not that u have misconceptions, (although the fact the u def want an r6 as a 1st street bike may lead ppl to believe so), but remember whether used or not its a big investment.

but if its opinions u want on the bike, i think any r6 is good. there's no year where the model suffered any real issues. except for the 06/07s where ppl complained about the lack of low end torque, but i dont see that as an issue. pretty much any ss after 2000 is f.i.

#7 ·
:iagree:

Actually the "lack of low end torque" in the 06-07 is a good thing for a new rider if they choose this as their first bike.

I'm not saying the R6 is a good first bike....BUT if that's what one buys then this works in their favor. :dthumb:

#8 · (Edited)
thanks guys. now THATS the kind of info im lookin to find before i make a purchase. im not gonna get anything new, im loolin at 99-03's as possibilities. i want something i can take a little pride in, not an 83 virago or anything like that. but im definately not gonna spend more than 3 or 4k on a first bike. the reason im lookin at a 600 is like i said, ive got experience on lots of machines. all of which have been sport/race models. and to this day, after 14 years of riding, i've never had any accidents (knock on wood). i know if i bought a ninja 250 or something, i'd be kickin myself in the ass after 2 months because riding would be boring. id rather have the power and not use it often, then need/want it and not have it there. i want to keep 1 bike all season, not trade up three times before the year is over.

and also, i have a few questions about terminology i've seen so far. first of all, what's "ss" stand for. i figured out that "1 liter" bikes are 1000's, "half liters" are 500 and so on, or so im assuming.

and also, i've seen a lot of R6's that have the 520 chain conversion. i know what a 520 chain is, but what is it being converted from? is it just that the r6's have a different sized and less common chain and sprockets from the factory, so people change them over?

#9 ·
SS= Super Sport! liter=1000 1/2 liter is 500! 520 conversion is a popular mod on all bikes, I believe stock is 530!

Any 600cc ss in that year range isnt the top recomendation for a 1st bike, but if you keep your head on straight, take the course and take your time you should be alright! Good luck to you and welcom to the 2Wheel Life!!

#12 ·
Bro,... Go and take the MSF course, get some bitchen gear,. sit on different 600's,. when you find the one you like "the posture" you buy that one and take it easy and respect it,.. I have the 07 and is not aggressive posture as the 08,..the 08 is more low and forward,..The 07 is more where I love the RPM's really HIGH perfect for track day's,..best of luck to you,..

Bro one more thing don't worry about changing anything on the bike until you max out you're stock items,..So find out the stock items on you're bike do the research and most of all ride safe and have fun,..

#14 ·
Im a newbie also having the exact same questions and problems.
I've found guys in helpful forums such as this complaining about R6's gear problem especially upto year 2002. The problem they say is that the gear pops out at 2nd gear...anybody experiencing this with a R6 can perhaps tell us more.
Am getting an R6 year03 as my 1st bike n' will deal with the consequences later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.