Two Wheel Forums banner

Traveling with a motorcycle

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ebbs15 
#1 ·
Well after reading the 'followed me home' thread I really got the bug to purchase a bike. The only problem is I can't ride right now due to the weather (in KS) and won't be able to ride for a few more months. I am leaving for Copenhagen in july to do study abroad for a semester. Then heading to New Castle Australia after that. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with shipping a bike to Europe. My questions are as followed.
1) What all would be required (registration, plates etc) to ride in Europe and how much (ballpark) would it cost to get it all done.
2) Anyone here ever shipped a bike to Europe? and how much did it cost you?
3) Is it worth buying a bike here and shipping it over or should I buy one there and shipping it back
4) Are there any Aussies or Kiwis (plan to visit NZ) on this board?

Thanks and feel free to throw in any other bits of info you might think of.

PS The bike I have been looking at for a long time is the 2008 Daytona 675 SE :)

#2 ·
why ship the bike when you can rent or purchase one over there. If you are interested in renting a bike in europe go through a bike mag and you will find several ads for these rentals for both trackdays and street riding. As for shipping one to europe it probably would cost as much as the bike...:idk:

#3 ·
shipping over to europe will def cost more then the bike itself... normally its around 5-7 grand, you'd prolly just be better off buying one when you get there... just be ready tho, cuz they ride kinda crazy over there. but, at the same time, if you want to learn to knee drag, there's really no better place to learn.

#4 ·
I found a company that will ship from Cali to Australia for about $1500 USD and for an extra fee you can fly over on the same plane so you can leave from the airport on it. Another question for everyone is have any of you ever heard of export plates? Something about if you buy a vehicle over seas and ship it back you can use export plates for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.