How hot is too hot? - TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums
View Poll Results: How hot is too hot to ride?
Over 105 23 16.20%
Over 100 25 17.61%
Over 95 25 17.61%
It's never too hot! 69 48.59%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
 
ShanMan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: FREE THE HOPS!
Posts: 10,104
How hot is too hot?

When do you STOP riding, due to heat?
ShanMan14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Low
First 1000 Member
 
Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Never Ending Season H-Town
Posts: 3,082
Send a message via AIM to Low
We've been fortunate this summer... it's only been 100+ for less then 1 month... normally it's like that all summer....
Low is offline  
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
 
PiZdETS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 912
I work in a hot ass environment, heat is almost an enjoyment to me now.

I do hate how heat robs so much power from the bike though. With such little weight and revvy an engine the power robbed from the engine is very noticable.
It's a lot faster riding home in the cooler night than it is riding in about noon.


Quote:
Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead. ~Mac McCleary
PiZdETS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
I rode last week when it was 100-ish; heat index was 115. When moving, it was okay, but not moving? Felt like I was sitting in an oven. I'd say that's about the most heat I could tolerate....
neebelung is offline  
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:21 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 707
I hate working in the heat But if it is that hot I just go without my jacket. and is only time i dont have one on.
papapoi is offline  
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by papapoi View Post
I hate working in the heat But if it is that hot I just go without my jacket. and is only time i dont have one on.
This has been discussed elsewhere (Back_marker actually made some good points on this, I believe), but it's actually a myth that you'll be cooler without your jacket. There's a long explanation for it, but you're actually going to keep your body temp lower with your jacket on than with exposed skin (also, exposed skin loses moisture faster, which leads to dehydration).
neebelung is offline  
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low View Post
We've been fortunate this summer... it's only been 100+ for less then 1 month... normally it's like that all summer....
when it gets to 100+ I'll stop.
ne1469 is offline  
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Low
First 1000 Member
 
Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Never Ending Season H-Town
Posts: 3,082
Send a message via AIM to Low
Even if it gets to 115 here.. I'll still commute to work it.. The HOV lane save me 30 mins both ways... I'll deal with the heat.. to save on time.
Low is offline  
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM
TWF Board Of Directors
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,074
Its been in th upped 90's and that doesnt stop me and I wear full gear all the time. It may bet a little hot in the jacket, but its not bad when you are moving.
Rider is offline  
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Supporting Member
October 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
tallywacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Patrol base in IRAQ
Posts: 2,694
Send a message via AIM to tallywacker Send a message via Yahoo to tallywacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
This has been discussed elsewhere (Back_marker actually made some good points on this, I believe), but it's actually a myth that you'll be cooler without your jacket. There's a long explanation for it, but you're actually going to keep your body temp lower with your jacket on than with exposed skin (also, exposed skin loses moisture faster, which leads to dehydration).
Yeah but science and seat of the pants deal are different. I FEEL cooler without the jacket and thats really all it comes down to. It may be less dehydriating and stressful on my body to wear the stuff but it sure as hell doesnt FEEL that way. Since im not assaulting a village in Iraq i'll take the FEEL DEAL any day

www.myspace.com/kurtpittman
3/320th FA RAKKASANS

GHOST RIDE THE WHIP
tallywacker is offline  
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Yeah but science and seat of the pants deal are different. I FEEL cooler without the jacket and thats really all it comes down to. It may be less dehydriating and stressful on my body to wear the stuff but it sure as hell doesnt FEEL that way. Since im not assaulting a village in Iraq i'll take the FEEL DEAL any day
Very true... very true... (Personally I was surprised by it, but it's interesting nonetheless).

(and that last part is great out-of-context-quote material... )
neebelung is offline  
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Supporting Member
October 2007 BOTM Winner!
 
tallywacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Patrol base in IRAQ
Posts: 2,694
Send a message via AIM to tallywacker Send a message via Yahoo to tallywacker
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Very true... very true... (Personally I was surprised by it, but it's interesting nonetheless).

(and that last part is great out-of-context-quote material... )
Sorry im hatin on you today haha

www.myspace.com/kurtpittman
3/320th FA RAKKASANS

GHOST RIDE THE WHIP
tallywacker is offline  
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
Sorry im hatin on you today haha
I didn't take it as you hatin' at all.... it's okay to disagree!!
neebelung is offline  
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
'Goes into the bandage biz'
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,237
The last time I thought it was too hot for a jacket I lowsided. The weeks of rash were pretty hot also (indoors and out). So I go with the minimum on days like this. Jeans and mesh jacket.
fpzx10 is offline  
post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Banned
 
PlayfulGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to PlayfulGod Send a message via MSN to PlayfulGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpzx10 View Post
The last time I thought it was too hot for a jacket I lowsided. The weeks of rash were pretty hot also (indoors and out). So I go with the minimum on days like this. Jeans and mesh jacket.
Today I will have my leathers on have water available upon my arrival
PlayfulGod is offline  
post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod View Post
Today I will have my leathers on have water available upon my arrival
Wow. That's hardcore. No prob on the water
fpzx10 is offline  
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,673
If I have to shove a bag of ice up my ass to keep it bearable, I will... There is no weather too hot.
OneSickPsycho is offline  
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickpsycho View Post
If I have to shove a bag of ice up my ass to keep it bearable, I will... There is no weather too hot.
I'm gonna regret sayin this, but...






neebelung is offline  
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
I'm gonna regret sayin this, but...






Thanks Nee. Now we are actually gonna have to see that
fpzx10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome