Two Wheel Forums banner

Timing Advance, Tuning and two custom PC3 maps

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
I called Rohm performance machine in Marysville Cali and they have a adjustable ignition advance unit and if i do a Dyno session with PC3 mapping its 275$.... but if i buy the timning advance unit they will install it and set it for optimal performance at the same time as the dyno and pc3 mapping for no extra charge.. plus since i ride in cali at around 300feet elevation and here at 4500-5000 feet alot they are ognna give me maps for each so i cna change em when i go place to place for no extra charge.. so for 275$ plus 79.99 for the adjustable advance unit.....so $355 i get two custom maps for the PC3 for MY bike with timing advanced and running higher grade fuel.....

Sound like a good deal? I also asked aobut gains and he said hes seen anywhere form 4-18HP gains.. said last bike he did was the one to get 18HP... Duc 749 bored and headwork with cams....plus boltons... and before that was a GSXR600 with cams and bolt ones and it got a 13HP gain.

So for many this may be the best powergain for the money.. i am figuring on my bike with the bolts ons and modified airbox with PC3 tuning and advance on a 1000CC bike ill see 6-8HP..... for 355$ its the best gain for the $ i cna get since the bolt ones are all done, plus if i bored and cam it later itll have the timing easily advancable for free and then justn eed a dyno to fuel tune.

Im thinking this is my next mod.. may put me over 140RWHP.

Other one is a cosmetic mod...

www.freestreetdesign.com

They have UNIQUE and VERY AGRESSIVE undertails.. and luckily i htink my bikes tail from em is the best... Z1000 look at a pic... Also the VFR has a GREAT undertail as well as the GSXrs and such all you guys ride... justh tink its a enteresting read if u wanna find something different...

See less See more
#2 ·
Installing a timing advancer is project #76 in the 101 Sportbike projects book. For the ZX-6R, it was easy, so you could probably do it yourself. But for an SV650 or busa, it requires flywheel removal. At the higher elevation, the timing advancer should work great. Will improve throttle response, but may not change hp. At sea level, you have to be careful about detonation.

If you don't have the Power Commander, the book (project #73) says it "is about the easiest bolt-on (or is it plug-in?) process possible."

#4 ·
No Worries said:
Installing a timing advancer is project #76 in the 101 Sportbike projects book. For the ZX-6R, it was easy, so you could probably do it yourself. But for an SV650 or busa, it requires flywheel removal. At the higher elevation, the timing advancer should work great. Will improve throttle response, but may not change hp. At sea level, you have to be careful about detonation.
Erm, without going into a page long explanation, altitude doesn't require a "special map" (the bike will adjust fuel delivery based on air density - it has sensors for that), and ignition advance is not something you want to play around with unless you really know what you're doing (also not effected by altitude - you're changing when the spark plug fires in relation to piston position). If you advance the ignition too far, you're going to damage the motor. If you advance it just right, you'll see more power, but you'll need to run higher octane fuel or you'll damage the motor. Detonation is ugly, makes holes in things.

- Roach

#5 ·
2 things

First GAS... my bike is laying 136 now... the advance and tune for my specific bike will make it MORE then your 9R :loser:

2nd.... The timing is not being set by me.. it is by Rohms Performmance Machine (RPM). And when i bring it to em itll be running Premium since it makes 136 HP on Regular(hahah sucker Gas....jk)
So it should def deliver more power since itll be set to run better gas and done on a dyno to make the most power and not detonate. and the shop is making me a map for 69feet elevation (where the shop is located)
And another map for 5000 feet since i live at 4500 feet and ride as high as 6000 feet on a weekly basis in summer... So it should feel like a champ when im done and be bout as fine tuned as ill get her till i cam it or sell it for a 10R.

So gas until u mod the 9R my Z will own yours(on a dyno anyways) lol.

But i cant wait to get it all dialed in, its ognna be a thing of beauty.. im hoping it bumps me to a 140 dyno sheet or more and at least 78lbs torque... 80 would be good but i think thats looking a bit too optimisitic

I was gonna do the PC advancer ut the cost of just tht and RPM will gimme a custom map for both elevations and set the timing for me....aabout an identical price.. with the obvious advantage going to RPM for being about to dyno and measure it versus me not knowing what im doing and not making as much power... or worse damaging my motor.

#7 ·
the 9R does have more agressive cams though. So i may actually cam it eventaully, but i dont think im gonna do the big bore kit now, i want a 10R too much first, so id rather go big on it. Better bike to ride faster

#8 ·
ScottSellersUNR said:
the 9R does have more agressive cams though. So i may actually cam it eventaully, but i dont think im gonna do the big bore kit now, i want a 10R too much first, so id rather go big on it. Better bike to ride faster
:iagree: :withstupi

#10 ·
that wont be a option for a few years. Need to pay this one off first or at least get it to owe-ing less then i cna sell it for... Plus i do not want the insurance bill until i turn 25. Right now 140HP will keep me happy a few years.. and if not i can cam it for cheap to get close to 150 relaibly and then when i turn 25 i cna get the 10R and sell the Z1000 for a decent pricwe with all the work... assuming i dont had 65,000 miles on it about two years from now

#11 ·
I understand that..

I got my 9R paid off and will probably keep it till I can't keep it anymore... aka some type of bad crash... otherwise...it will do just fine for now... maybe later get something different and let the wife ride it... who knows....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.