Two Wheel Forums banner

Some Boeing workers may not have a job Monday

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
I wonder if anyone in D.C. is watching?? How many jobs they say were created last month?? Try to replace these...

WICHITA, Kansas - Machinists at the Boeing plant got a shock Friday, learning they might not have a job come Monday.Just before a Tuesday vote on the Machinist's contract with Onex, the company sent out a flyer to workers saying they will get an employment offer by mail on Saturday, May 21. They also say, if you don't get an offer don't come to work on Monday, the 23rd.

This means that as many as 10% to 20% of machinists might not have a job by Monday, leaving many angry about the way Onex is handling the situation.

"I think it's pretty bad, a pretty bad deal. I think it's wrong. I think we need to take them to the mat," said employee Brent Blay.

As of Friday, Machinists were told to take all of their personal items home in case they did not receive an employment offer.

The Machinists Union has yet to react to this surprising development.

With the Machinist's Union vote set for this Tuesday, stay with KSN as we continue to bring you the latest developments in the Boeing / Onex Deal.

See less See more
#2 ·
dont see how that could be possible...to reduce the union workforce by 5-10% would need to go through the union..people would have bumping rights and all kinds of union rules would have to be followed.....all layoffs would have to be through service dates (lowest would be layed off) and its also just not that simple...im sure all the machinest work in different areas, hold on to different jobs so they couldnt just lay off who they wanted to....General electric is just like boing and it just couldnt or wouldnt be done...

sounds like either a dupe or some poor excuse to scare the workers for voting for the new contract, which would also be a stupid move....

#5 ·
Same at McDonnell Douglas/Boeing. I worked there during the 90's and they use to give a 60 day notice (per some law) and then the day you were checking out they would cancel the layoff. It was very frustrating...but it sure was good money.

Last time I got re-called in '98 I finally declined.

#6 ·
2FURYUS said:
Same at McDonnell Douglas/Boeing. I worked there during the 90's and they use to give a 60 day notice (per some law) and then the day you were checking out they would cancel the layoff. It was very frustrating...but it sure was good money.

Last time I got re-called in '98 I finally declined.
ya thats what usually happens, too many people cant keep quiting jobs and go back with no guarentee that it will last for any amount of time...ive been lucky, only got laid off once for a month and now i have over 30 years at GE but im not in the union anymore so i can get canned tomorrow,,,,,, :nonod:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.