Two Wheel Forums banner

Let there be light!

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ShanMan14 
#1 ·
Mmm Ha ha!

HID headlight from a wrecked BMW 5 series + my Aprilia = near daylight. :D

I had a set in my RC51 before I sold it and I've been lamenting letting them go with the bike. I managed to get my hot little hands on another setup, so I just spent the day doing the conversion on the Aprilia.

#4 ·
Talk about needing sunglasses at night!! Way cool light setup!!

Chris, Shan has been working on uploading that smilie before, not sure if he will do it, seems to mess with the configuration of the smilie list somehow..

#10 ·
One of my riding buddies works at a body shop. When a BMW has a lens nicked, the whole lamp assembly gets replaced. Pull the guts out and with a little work it can be converted to work in a bike. He said that the individual parts, (transformer, igniter, bulb) would run over $700 his cost from BMW. That's per bulb. The hardest part is finding the right place to put the transformer and the igniter. I can't do my high beams because I don't want to shoehorn 2 more kits into undisclosed locations on the bike. We were going to test running 2 bulbs off of 1 transformer, but we really don't want to sacrifice a tranformer if it doesn't work. They will fry pretty easily. Just hooking up the power backwards will fry one.

#11 ·
Mojo said:
One of my riding buddies works at a body shop. When a BMW has a lens nicked, the whole lamp assembly gets replaced. Pull the guts out and with a little work it can be converted to work in a bike. He said that the individual parts, (transformer, igniter, bulb) would run over $700 his cost from BMW. That's per bulb. The hardest part is finding the right place to put the transformer and the igniter. I can't do my high beams because I don't want to shoehorn 2 more kits into undisclosed locations on the bike. We were going to test running 2 bulbs off of 1 transformer, but we really don't want to sacrifice a tranformer if it doesn't work. They will fry pretty easily. Just hooking up the power backwards will fry one.
OUCH.. $700.00 ..Yikes..yeah, I'd be alittle cautious myself! You'll definately have the best lamps in town!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.