TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: is my battery tender killing batterys? Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
09-19-2008 03:50 PM
Jbo24 Battery maintainers work great. Many people have motorcycles that they rarely ride. When a battery just sits, it self-disccharges of course, and in doing so sulfates.

A battery maintainer monitors the voltage of the battery and powers on to charge when the voltage reaches a certain low point, and shuts off when the voltage reaches a certain high point.

This keeps the battery from sulfating, prolonging the life of the battery. It also ensures the bike is always ready, when your ready to ride.

I would not recommend a maintainer that outputs more than 1.5 amps. 10 amps is definitely wayyyy tooo much for a motorcycle battery.

But a maintainer will ABSOLUTELY with out a doubt increase the life of the battery.
08-07-2008 11:58 PM
Gas Man You fucked those batteries!!

If I'm not on a the bike the tender is... ALWAYS



08-06-2008 08:16 PM
the ghoul man im a tool!!!
I took one of the dead batterys out and it sez on the side. charge 1.5 amps 5-7 hours 5 amps 1 hour..... I was charging the hell out of them!!! (10amps 2-3 hours!!!)
08-06-2008 11:26 AM
indianaroadracer I'm anti battery tender and think its best to disconnect and charge fully on a normal charger if the battery is going to sit for a month or more.
08-05-2008 05:15 AM
the ghoul
is my battery tender killing batterys?

I stored my sv650 over winter and some one disconnected the battery tender so naturally it was dead. I brought it back to life with a charger. I road the bike for a few days and then parked it for a week or so (this time connected to the tender). I pull the bike out and she fires right away. I ride it that day and park it for less than a week (without the tender) I get the bike back out and its dead...

I figure the battery must have died from being so long without a charge.

My friend left me his sv650 to work on for a while. It had been sitting for about a month. I turned the key, the battery was charged enough to light the dash but not enough to turn the bike over. I charged the battery up and put it in my sv. If I forgot to put the tender on it for more than a week of sitting the battery is dead when I come out.
I thought that there must be something wrong with my bike, a drain in the system ect...

I just finished working on my friends bike and put his battery back in it. I road it last night for an hour or so parked it and went to bed. This morning it was dead again (would crank once and give up). I jumped it and road to work (about 45 minute ride). I stopped the bike at the guard gates and the thing wouldnít start again (same as last time, turn over once and die). I had to push start it to get to my shop. ......


WTF???!!!
Did I just luck out and come across two bad batteries?
is the battery tender killing them in any way?
Is there a special charger to be used on these cells and the regular one Iím using is killing it? Or Am I charging at too high of an Amprage (10 amps for about 4 hours)
Do the sv's just have horrible charging circuits?
I have a brand new battery and would hate to F it up by using the wrong charger/tender on it...

please help!

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome