|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|09-19-2008 04:50 PM|
Battery maintainers work great. Many people have motorcycles that they rarely ride. When a battery just sits, it self-disccharges of course, and in doing so sulfates.
A battery maintainer monitors the voltage of the battery and powers on to charge when the voltage reaches a certain low point, and shuts off when the voltage reaches a certain high point.
This keeps the battery from sulfating, prolonging the life of the battery. It also ensures the bike is always ready, when your ready to ride.
I would not recommend a maintainer that outputs more than 1.5 amps. 10 amps is definitely wayyyy tooo much for a motorcycle battery.
But a maintainer will ABSOLUTELY with out a doubt increase the life of the battery.
|08-08-2008 12:58 AM|
You fucked those batteries!!
If I'm not on a the bike the tender is... ALWAYS
|08-06-2008 09:16 PM|
man im a tool!!!
I took one of the dead batterys out and it sez on the side. charge 1.5 amps 5-7 hours 5 amps 1 hour..... I was charging the hell out of them!!! (10amps 2-3 hours!!!)
|08-06-2008 12:26 PM|
|indianaroadracer||I'm anti battery tender and think its best to disconnect and charge fully on a normal charger if the battery is going to sit for a month or more.|
|08-05-2008 06:15 AM|
is my battery tender killing batterys?
I stored my sv650 over winter and some one disconnected the battery tender so naturally it was dead. I brought it back to life with a charger. I road the bike for a few days and then parked it for a week or so (this time connected to the tender). I pull the bike out and she fires right away. I ride it that day and park it for less than a week (without the tender) I get the bike back out and its dead...
I figure the battery must have died from being so long without a charge.
My friend left me his sv650 to work on for a while. It had been sitting for about a month. I turned the key, the battery was charged enough to light the dash but not enough to turn the bike over. I charged the battery up and put it in my sv. If I forgot to put the tender on it for more than a week of sitting the battery is dead when I come out.
I thought that there must be something wrong with my bike, a drain in the system ect...
I just finished working on my friends bike and put his battery back in it. I road it last night for an hour or so parked it and went to bed. This morning it was dead again (would crank once and give up). I jumped it and road to work (about 45 minute ride). I stopped the bike at the guard gates and the thing wouldn’t start again (same as last time, turn over once and die). I had to push start it to get to my shop. ......
Did I just luck out and come across two bad batteries?
is the battery tender killing them in any way?
Is there a special charger to be used on these cells and the regular one I’m using is killing it? Or Am I charging at too high of an Amprage (10 amps for about 4 hours)
Do the sv's just have horrible charging circuits?
I have a brand new battery and would hate to F it up by using the wrong charger/tender on it...