TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums

TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums (https://www.twowheelforum.com/forum.php)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.twowheelforum.com/21-general-off-topic/)
-   -   Toyota problem (sorry its not bike related) (https://www.twowheelforum.com/21-general-off-topic/10098-toyota-problem-sorry-its-not-bike-related.html)

King Bob 06-12-2006 01:42 PM

Toyota problem (sorry its not bike related)

I need some help on my Tercel. I just bought it, and it idles erratically, like it'll run normal for a few seconds then the rpms will drop like it wants to stall and recover again to do the same thing. feels like its running rich, but I dont know. oh yeah its an 86 with a 1.5L carbed I4 motor. anyone know of what to do about it?

I tried a bunch of toyota forums already, and nobody seems to be inclined to help since all they wanna do is make their cars more powerful or faster.

neebelung 06-12-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX1000
I need some help on my Tercel. I just bought it, and it idles erratically, like it'll run normal for a few seconds then the rpms will drop like it wants to stall and recover again to do the same thing. feels like its running rich, but I dont know. oh yeah its an 86 with a 1.5L carbed I4 motor. anyone know of what to do about it?

I tried a bunch of toyota forums already, and nobody seems to be inclined to help since all they wanna do is make their cars more powerful or faster.

Have you done all the normal stuff, like new air filter, spark plugs, etc...? That would be the first place to start (I'm trying to think back to my 'Yoda days.....). Esp. if you think she's runnin' rich, coulda fouled a plug. Start small, and work your way up from there -- eliminate the most elementary/obvious causes first.

King Bob 06-12-2006 02:55 PM

The fuel, air and soon oil filter are new. plugs are on the way so I can attempt that, wires are ok.

No Worries 06-12-2006 03:23 PM

Hopefully, it's something simple like a vacuum leak from a broken hose. When you take the plugs out, keep them in the correct order (I usually make four small holes in a piece of cardboard), and take a picture of them.

King Bob 06-12-2006 03:52 PM

I looked under the car a minute ago, and I'm suspecting a headgasket blown, considering theres coolant unaccounted for, and the idle gets rough after about 30 seconds from the time I start the motor.

neebelung 06-12-2006 04:11 PM

Has the car been overheating at all? Have you looked for the telltale signs (i.e. oily residue in the coolant reservoir, milky residue in the oil, or - as mine did when it went - an oily residue coming out the tailpipe?) of a blown headgasket?

King Bob 06-12-2006 04:20 PM

I havent observed those signs, but compression is 125 in cylinders 1-3, cyl 4 has 100pounds. doesnt quite seem right to me. oil is dirty, but not milky looking.

JK_DILLA 06-12-2006 08:50 PM

Does the problem happen at idle only, all the time, when cold, when hot,...etc? Needlebug and NW have you going in the right direction. Read your oil, your old plugs, your new plugs. Did you dump out your old fuel filer and read that? Tried your new one yet?

Gas Man 06-12-2006 10:46 PM

If the head gasket is blown... you'll have one or both... white stinky smoke out the tail pipe / milky oil or oily coolant.

How many miles on it?
FI, carbed, or throttle body injection?

If the milage is high... always try the plugs and wires.

Is it throwing any codes?

neebelung 06-13-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
Needlebug and NW have you going in the right direction.

{hijack}

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It amazes me how many people call me Needlebug. Needlebug? LMAO! It's Neebelung!

Not to worry... I'm not offended, and you're not the first person to make that mistake (I've even had local people come up to me at Bike Night and say, "Are you Needlebug?"), but it just cracks me up......
{/hijack}

King Bob 06-14-2006 04:36 PM

I have some kind of whitish smoke coming out the tailpipe.

car has 228K miles on it, carbureted, and its too old to have a computer to throw codes from. plugs didnt tell me much.

JK_DILLA 06-14-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neebelung
{hijack}

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It amazes me how many people call me Needlebug. Needlebug? LMAO! It's Neebelung!

Not to worry... I'm not offended, and you're not the first person to make that mistake (I've even had local people come up to me at Bike Night and say, "Are you Needlebug?"), but it just cracks me up......
{/hijack}

Youre NEEDLEBUG!

No Worries 06-15-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man
If the head gasket is blown... you'll have one or both... white stinky smoke out the tail pipe / milky oil or oily coolant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZX1000
I have some kind of whitish smoke coming out the tailpipe.

We have a match. You can pull the head and replace the head gasket if the valves aren't burned in cylinder #4.

jeeps84 06-15-2006 12:27 AM

228K Yota. Do the basic tune. Drive it till it quits and find another one.:2cents:

Gas Man 06-15-2006 12:37 AM

Good call NW... I missed that... too damn tired lately... DAMN work!

neebelung 06-15-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK_DILLA
Youre NEEDLEBUG!

:bash:

:lol:

jeeps84 06-15-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

It just sounds cuet.:lol:

King Bob 06-15-2006 03:39 PM

I like this car. probably when it dies, I'll resurrect it by putting some kind of sportbike motor in it, and puttin a turbo on too. knowing me, it'll be something like a Busa or ZX14 size motor. as far as making it fit the tranny, I'll MAKE it fit. :crazy:

JK_DILLA 06-15-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

I guess its now obvious that i dont know how to read. Thanks for pointing it out to everyone! :sob:

everyone else can call you neebelung, but youll be needlebug to me! ok? :D

King Bob 06-17-2006 12:09 PM

Just an update, I changed the oil, flushed the cooling system which was just filled with water, and put in a proper 50/50 coolant mix and its running MUCH better now.