TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums

TwoWheelForum: Motorcycle and Sportbike forums (https://www.twowheelforum.com/forum.php)
-   Gear & Equipment (https://www.twowheelforum.com/35-gear-equipment/)
-   -   a few questions about helmets... (https://www.twowheelforum.com/35-gear-equipment/17214-few-questions-about-helmets.html)

DubLDN2O 04-29-2007 03:53 PM

a few questions about helmets...
 
ok so we all know that styling has some play in the choosing also functionality and technology. alot of people have mentioned about suomy arai and shoei being the best but fail to mention what gives them tops over others is it because of brand name? also has anybody tried the dainese helmets? i kinda wanna get the one that has bluetooth in it so i can have the use of my cell if need be or if another rider has one i can keep in contact with them during road trips... and finally what kind of stuff should i look for in a helmet... airflow, padding, visibility, etc??? thanks in advance for any info...

brie 04-29-2007 03:57 PM

Make sure it's comfy, that is my number one priority because if it's not comfy you won't wear it.

Other than that, make sure any helmet you get is dot or snell certified (I'd rather have snell but both will usually protect you okay). Other than that, most of the major differences in helmets these days are in the looks. Some are better than others at absorbing impact but anything dot certified will save your life (in 99% of cases).

Earlzach 04-29-2007 09:26 PM

One thing to think about is that only 6% of ALL deaths on a motorcycle due to head injury were wearing a helmet of any grade. (DOT, SNELL ect..) 94% of head injury deaths were not wearing a helmet at all. The thruth about that 6% is even if they didnt sustain head injury they probably had enough other bodily injuries to die anyhow. So pick a hat that fits and wear it. Dont get cought up in DOT,vs. snell vs. British standard, Just make sure its at least one of thoes. Anyone of the grades will due according to statistics of head injury crashes.:dthumb: :readng:

DubLDN2O 04-29-2007 09:34 PM

ok so i know that one but something im wondering is are there alot of differences as far as air flow (venting) is the anti fog shield available to all helmets or just a certain few? im still really interested in that dainese but dont know if its really worth the money or not. how is that brand compared to others? are there other options for bluetooth helmets or bluetooth headsets etc etc. i really do alot of phone use even in the car of course i have a hands free set up or i just use my speaker enabled depending on the car. so thats one thing that will decide my choice.... thanks for any info...

Earlzach 04-29-2007 09:39 PM

as far as anti fog goes just clean the shield with shaving cream. You can also do your bathroom mirror so it wont be fogged up when you get out of the shower.

dscort 04-29-2007 09:40 PM

most people cant drive and talk at the same time let alone ride and talk. put the cell in the pocket or under seat where it belongs and dont live on the damn phone. :2cents: get a lid that fits right and looks good to you. almost all are at least dot apporved.

DubLDN2O 04-29-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earlzach (Post 346162)
as far as anit fog goes just clean the shield with shaving cream. You can also do your bathroom mirror so it wont be fogged up when you get out of the shower.

sweet... of course at the time my bathroom dont have a mirror =o( stupid freakin military barracks suck balls.... just like livin in a freakin hotel ahahaha... and the worse part is i pay for it too... lol ok so the whole phone thing can be put off and if need be i can always just pull over to take the call... anywho thanks for the tips... also i have a simpson racing helmet now its a vehicle racing helmet could i get away with that for a good while????

Earlzach 04-29-2007 09:46 PM


Phenix_Rider 04-29-2007 10:22 PM

I think Shoei, Suomy, and Arai are known as having better airflow than some of the less expensive helmets. But, depending on the helmet, wind noise increases much more than cooling air flow. Like everyone else said- it has to be comfortable, fit snug, and be DOT/SNELL/BSI (pick one) approved. Less expensive is okay, just don't get something cheap. KBC, HJC, Scorpion are good lids. Z1R, ZAMP I haven't heard much good about. Every brand and model will fit differently, so try as many as possible.


:welcome: :twfrox:

DubLDN2O 04-29-2007 10:29 PM

ok cuz i was lookin at the hjc c12 i think it is that is all carbon fiber cuz then i could take that and sandblast the clear off take the lil sticker off and candy coat it with hok majestic blue. and have a really sick looking helmet that would be some what custom =o) so i might just go that route. are they really comfortable helmets?

Phenix_Rider 04-29-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubLDN2O (Post 346190)
ok cuz i was lookin at the hjc c12 i think it is that is all carbon fiber cuz then i could take that and sandblast the clear off take the lil sticker off and candy coat it with hok majestic blue. and have a really sick looking helmet that would be some what custom =o) so i might just go that route. are they really comfortable helmets?

Depends on your head shape. You can not buy a helmet on specs! You have to be able to wear it continuously in comfort.

And if you want a carbon helmet, I'm sure they come in different colors. Sand blasting one is probably not a good idea. Besides, there are a good number of helmets that are very nearly as light as carbon.

DubLDN2O 04-29-2007 10:45 PM

its not really the weight im concerned about with that. i just got a thing for carbon lol, especially candied carbon it look so wicked. but yeah i still dont know ill probably just go for whatever because the price tag so far on newenough.com was like 1100 for full gear of course thats sayin i would be getting an icon leather jacket, joe rocket ballistic textile pants, icon field armor boots, icon ti max gauntlet style gloves, and then the hjc. but total really it came to like 1700 cuz im gonna buy some tires and stands as well at the same time that way most of the craps out of the way.

brie 04-29-2007 10:52 PM

I recommend that you go to a dealership before ordering anything, especially a helmet, and try it on. Nothing is more annoying than guessing your sizes and being wrong. This way you will also be able to see how comfortable different types of helmets are so you can make the best decision.

Oh yeah and I have a scorpion helmet and the ventilation is better than any other helmet I've had. I can't afford an arai or shoei though so I haven't compared to those.

Phenix_Rider 04-29-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubLDN2O (Post 346196)
its not really the weight im concerned about with that. i just got a thing for carbon lol, especially candied carbon it look so wicked. but yeah i still dont know ill probably just go for whatever because the price tag so far on newenough.com was like 1100 for full gear of course thats sayin i would be getting an icon leather jacket, joe rocket ballistic textile pants, icon field armor boots, icon ti max gauntlet style gloves, and then the hjc. but total really it came to like 1700 cuz im gonna buy some tires and stands as well at the same time that way most of the craps out of the way.

As long as you wear it :dthumb:

But even with a $400 Shoei, I'll probably be under $1k

devilstonic 04-29-2007 10:56 PM

As Brie said, go try them on. Arai and Shoei are the highest rated that I'm aware of. As far as fit, make sure it's snug, should be snug enough that you can't chew a piece of gum while you're wearing it, but make sure it's not so snug that it gives you a headache.

All the different brands fit differently so if you can wear a medium in one, you may not be able to wear a medium in the other. At least that's the experience I had recently when buying my new scorpion.

brie 04-29-2007 11:11 PM

Oh yes, this reminds me. I need a new mx helmet. Hehe yay. KBC here I come. :cheers:

fnfalman 04-30-2007 01:57 PM

Why are Shoei and Arai generally more expensive than other brands? Simply put, hey're made better. Just because two helmets have met DOT and/or Snell standards, it doesn't mean that they're both offering the same protection. Your Honda Civic meets DOT crash standards, but do you think that it has the same protection of a Volvo that also meets DOT crash standards? Same goes for the helmets. Arais, Shoeis, AGVs, Sharks, Suomys and other top notch helmets are being crash tested regularly by racers and have proven histories.

Also, a more expensive helmet feature better liners that are more comfortable and sweat absorbent not to mention better ventilation. Visibility is pretty much the same. The open space of the visor has to meet DOT standards, so no helmet has "wider" view than another.

Anti-fog shields work OK but not 100% fog free. Just crack the visor and everything is groovy.

As far as Dainese helmets go, I don't know squat about them. Since that Dainese is a reputable outfit, I'd assume that their helmets must be quality stuff. Vemar and Schuberth are two other helmet manufacturers who have Bluetooth/wireless technology helmets. I don't talk when I ride so I have no interests in knowing anything about their wireless technologies, but they are two top notch European manufacturers.

Gas Man 04-30-2007 03:54 PM

FIT FIT FIT FIT FIT FIT FIT

IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.

Not all helmets or heads are shaped the same!!




DubLDN2O 04-30-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnfalman (Post 346498)
Why are Shoei and Arai generally more expensive than other brands? Simply put, hey're made better. Just because two helmets have met DOT and/or Snell standards, it doesn't mean that they're both offering the same protection. Your Honda Civic meets DOT crash standards, but do you think that it has the same protection of a Volvo that also meets DOT crash standards? Same goes for the helmets. Arais, Shoeis, AGVs, Sharks, Suomys and other top notch helmets are being crash tested regularly by racers and have proven histories.

Also, a more expensive helmet feature better liners that are more comfortable and sweat absorbent not to mention better ventilation. Visibility is pretty much the same. The open space of the visor has to meet DOT standards, so no helmet has "wider" view than another.

Anti-fog shields work OK but not 100% fog free. Just crack the visor and everything is groovy.

As far as Dainese helmets go, I don't know squat about them. Since that Dainese is a reputable outfit, I'd assume that their helmets must be quality stuff. Vemar and Schuberth are two other helmet manufacturers who have Bluetooth/wireless technology helmets. I don't talk when I ride so I have no interests in knowing anything about their wireless technologies, but they are two top notch European manufacturers.

ill check into those other companies. is there a site that lists what the crash rating is for the helmets? and also what do you mean by crack it like just lift it up a lil while im riding? or do you mean actually put a crack in it lol... thanks for the info. i dunno about goin with shoei just because of how popular they are but then again i just might it all depends on the amount of money available when i get my ****... luckily the bikes free and needs minimum maintenance lol...

brie 05-01-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubLDN2O (Post 346733)
ill check into those other companies. is there a site that lists what the crash rating is for the helmets? and also what do you mean by crack it like just lift it up a lil while im riding? or do you mean actually put a crack in it lol... thanks for the info. i dunno about goin with shoei just because of how popular they are but then again i just might it all depends on the amount of money available when i get my ****... luckily the bikes free and needs minimum maintenance lol...

Are you saying you don't want to buy a Shoei because a lot of people use them?

I wouldn't want to buy one because of the price tag but that's just me. :idk:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome