Two Wheel Forums banner

Project Bike Veterans

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  miltontfogg3 
#1 ·
Hello!

I was wanting to ask this section of TWF something. I, like many people am on a budget, so I cant help but think about getting a rolling chassis and just stick, bolt, cut, grind, soder, re-wire, etc...The only thing is that I have absolutly NO experience with motorcycle MODS. I think if I did that would help. The question is simply this... Knowing that I would have to find a workshop to build the bike, would it be a good move to find a mentor in my area and piece a bike little by little?

#7 ·
Yeah ok.. I meant what bike and what conidition.

I mean are you starting with a older Honda 900RR or a old Harley Sportser 883? Both 900cc motors but completely different.

Plus what condition... your question is too vague until you know what you have... then develop the "vision" and work towards that. You can see that even on these biker build off shows.

#8 ·
If you're looking to spend $4k max, why not just buy a used but running bike? in a project bike, just buy a rolling chassis with a blown motor, get the new motor, and plug & play. simple enough to do.

#9 ·
:withstupi

you can EASILY get a used 600 and I've even seen 900's for around 4k.... you may have to go back to early 90's but there are deals to be had. Personally I'd just go with a used running bike... once you get one that will get you around... THEN get a project bike... :2cents:

#10 ·
hey buuuuuuuuudies

i am in the markwet for a bike...i chose the r1 04 cause its the one with that cool headlight and black frame style and its closer to the modern time frame. Here is one im looking at....but He says the following which gets me on my toes.

Currently the bike needs a clutch assymbly and it has an oil leak from the clutch basket cover gasket (no big deal) ,. i will more than likely have all of this fixed soon and the price will go up OR i will have the parts atleast on there way to my house for me to put them on ... to fix everything it should only be about 1-2 hours of labor and roughly 150 in parts.

MODS
full ty force exhaust
power commander with a custom map
velocity stack
Gytr air filter
chrome wheels
Wave front and rear brake rotors
steel braided break lines
ohlins stering dampner
carbon fiber front and rear fenders
carbon fiber gas tank / triple tree /exhaust gaurd/ side tank trim
vortex rear sprocket
frame sliders
case slider
swing arm sliders
bar end sliders

dynoed tuned 160+ horspower at the rear wheel .
forgot to say the bike is lowered and has adjustable lowering link in the rear so it can be brought back up to stock. also the actual mileage is unknown due to the Vortex sprocket but the cluster reads 25*** .

looking to buy it for around 4000 good deal for both of us?

ps he has full race fairings on it already so I can bring it to the track without tap and what not :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.