Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Peeps, :ffedback:

I know I said I wanted a GSX R600 for my first bike, but common sense is kicking in. After checking ins. cost and the cost of fairings for a GSXR, I was considering a Kat. I'm looking for something that is comfortable to ride on, and sort of forgiving, and has a sporty look to it along with some power. One of my friends who rides says, don't get a Kat it's old and outdated, and keeps steering me to the latest and greatest. But I like the look and feel of the Kat. I was hoping I could get some feedback from some Kat experienced people. I have heard that they can be heavy, not a problem for me. I want something I can hone my skills on and keep for 2-3 years and then go straight for a liter bike when I'm ready. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.
:twfrox: :whore:
:ffedback:

·
Registered
893 Posts
I personally applaud your decision to not go with a GSXR. A Kat is a great beginner bike. What I will say is that there are not a lot of aftermarket stuff for Kat's, so just keep that in the back of your mind. Kat's are probably one of the best beginner bikes if you don't want to consider a 250 or 500. The other option you have is an older 600...one that has less power and is a little heavier. I think it's great that you aren't giving into the hype by your friends and going with what you know is the right decision. Beginner riders WILL make mistakes...and usually during the mistake will grab a handful of throttle. Buying a bike that has less torque & hp will be more forgiving, and a better idea in my opinion. Plus, you can find a Kat or an older bike for a lot less $$$. Then when you get better at riding, buy that bike of your dreams...just have enough seat time first before you do that. You'll be happier in the long run. :dthumb:

--Laura

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SpeedWerks.com said:
I personally applaud your decision to not go with a GSXR. A Kat is a great beginner bike. What I will say is that there are not a lot of aftermarket stuff for Kat's, so just keep that in the back of your mind. Kat's are probably one of the best beginner bikes if you don't want to consider a 250 or 500. The other option you have is an older 600...one that has less power and is a little heavier. I think it's great that you aren't giving into the hype by your friends and going with what you know is the right decision. Beginner riders WILL make mistakes...and usually during the mistake will grab a handful of throttle. Buying a bike that has less torque & hp will be more forgiving, and a better idea in my opinion. Plus, you can find a Kat or an older bike for a lot less $$$. Then when you get better at riding, buy that bike of your dreams...just have enough seat time first before you do that. You'll be happier in the long run. :dthumb:

--Laura
Thank You, It was hard not to give in to the hype, but I was thinking of buying the Kat new as I would like to keep it for a while, meaning a 2-3 years maybe and maybe pass it down to my younger brother who will be starting his first year of college this year, when I am ready to upgrade. I have seen them on cycletrader for $6K brand new out the door. From what I have been able to google, I have found some windscreens and exhaust for Kats, thats about all I would be looking for. A couple of buddies that ride advise just get what you like and feel comfortable with. I like the Kat, for some reason, it just has personality, this from a guy that drives an 04 Accord :loser: , another me 2 car. But I bought that for resale value. I appreciate your feedback. I'm a lil on the heavy side which is why I want the 750. Also, I like the idea of the air/oil cooled engine, means it will be easier to work on I suppose and also, being a Kat, may not be at the top of the theft list, Although I would still take precautions. BTW, if you guys get some new stuff in for Kats, can you keep me posted? Thanks, DH

:cheers: :twfrox: :whore:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since it seems like you're pretty set on getting a 600 or bigger bike, I'd like to steer you into taking a serious consideration for the Suzuki SV650S. The Katana is a fully faired bike so it would still cost you as much to fix if you drop it. On the other hand, the SVS is pretty much naked in stock form so there's no plastic on the side to replace if you ever "let it down". The good thing about SVS is that there are a tons of aftermarket parts out there including the option to install a set of mid fairing on the bike to make it very sporty looking when you are ready. Another plus with the SVS is that it's a V-Twins which means that there are more usable power at the lower range of rpm to translate into better suited for daily riding. Since you may be looking into getting a brand new bike, I believe that the SVS may cost you less to own, insure, and to fix.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Do whatever you want..you're the one paying for it and riding it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.