Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
December 2007 BOTM Winner!
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A dragster motor from a monster truck bolted to a homemade motorcycle chassis. It consume a gallon of alcohol every 4 miles. 2 forward gears and reverse. Street legal and built by a Brit! :dthumb: :yikes: :yikes:

These are all the pictures I could find, if anyone else can find larger please post em! Notice your head would rest on the supercharger when gripping the handlebars.

What do you get when you bolt a supercharged 1,000bhp engine, hitherto found under the bonnet of a four-wheel-drive monster truck, into a home-made motorbike chassis?

Most people would probably say “trouble” or possibly “a ride in an ambulance”. But for engineer Nick Argyle, it seemed the obvious thing to do when tinkering with some bits in his garage one day.

Argyle had built his own monster truck some years previously before selling the chassis but keeping the whopping 8.2-litre Mopar V8 engine. Lacking the space to build another truck, he decided that the ideal home for the supercharged powerplant would be a two-wheeler.

Called the Rapom V8, the result is the most powerful road legal motorbike in Britain, with between 1,000 and 1,200bhp depending on the boost from the Littlefield supercharger. That makes the Bugatti Veyron, the fastest car in the world with 987bhp, look rather tame.

And if you thought your neighbour’s SUV was a gas-guzzler, the Rapom consumes a gallon of pure alcohol ever four miles. Fortunately Argyle only uses it for the 10-mile trip to his local dragstrip in the Cotswolds and then only in the daytime as the bike lacks headlights. The frame, constructed from massive, 3cm thick steel tubing, is extra long to prevent the bike flipping over under hard acceleration and as it tips the scales at 1,000lb, a reverse gear is needed for manoeuvring.

With such a surfeit of power, just two forward gears are needed in the API racing transmission. Stopping power provided by racing brakes gripped by six-piston callipers.

The bike will be on display MCN London Motorcycle Show on the Harrison Billet stand (S71) at ExCeL on February 1-4 2007. Advanced tickets for the MCN London Motorcycle Show are on sale now for £13 via its web site www.londonmotorcycleshow.com or via the ticket hotline 0870 730 0049.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I dont know if thats real or not, but the pics def look like a bad photoshop job

·
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dont know if thats real or not, but the pics def look like a bad photoshop job
I don't post fake chit. They used some weird lighting in the shots but it all looks correct, just crazy as it's an uncommon machine.
The shadows are all correct if you looked carefully. :readng:

Oh ya and here's some video from the motorcycle show mentioned in the article.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
thats like a boss hoss, but with a supercharger-great engineering at work though, if he rides it hard and it doesnt break stuff.

3cm thick tubing?:yikes: assuming they mean the wall is 3cm thick, damn!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
that thing looks like a wicked machine. its probably downright NUTS on the strip too.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Oh its real... a big dog guy saw it at some rally!

·
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh its real... a big dog guy saw it at some rally!
That's pretty cool, do you remember if it was in the states or in the UK? Must be getting pretty famous if he brought it to the states.

Still want to find a video of it running. He said he rides it but I want video to believe it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
if i ever went Gasman style and ditched a real bike for a crusier....Thats what i would ride!

Thats my new favorite custom chopper.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
if i ever went Gasman style and ditched a real bike for a crusier....Thats what i would ride!

Thats my new favorite custom chopper.
:lol: :lol: Real bike...

I've owned several sportbikes and 1 cruiser and it was also a Bigdog. It was the Bulldog model. Awesome bike for that style...no doubt.:dthumb:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
:lol: :lol: Real bike...

I've owned several sportbikes and 1 cruiser and it was also a Bigdog. It was the Bulldog model. Awesome bike for that style...no doubt.:dthumb:
Why did you get rid of the BDM?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Why did you get rid of the BDM?

Got crunched by a Lexus IS300 and busted my foot/ankle and leg up. Had to have several surgeries and two skin grafs. Bike was totalled.:cry:

I didn't ride for a few years and then decided to get back into it and bought another sportbike since that's what I had always ridden until this Bigdog.

I actually was going to buy a Titan Gecko but they were having financial problems and I felt more confident in Bigdog and bought the Bulldog.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts