·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read this on a website that I went to from the AMA Races today:

2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 Frame Alert!
Apparent frame defect may have contributed to crash
May 21, 2005
While competing in a race for AMA sanctioned Motorcycle Roadracing Club Dan Sallis (MRA #63, AMA Superstock #48) crashed in turn one while Pikes Peak International Raceway. Dan was riding the 2005 1Tail.com Suzuki GSXR when the front simply washed out entering turn one. "I am not sure what happened because I was taking it easy and just cruising. I was comming up on a lapper and setting up to pass him on the outside when the front just went away." said Dan. Dan was in 3rd place when the crash occurred and he had been in running as high as 2nd in the race.

Upon taking a closer look at the damaged Suzuki frame it is clear that the weld was inadequate as indicated by the photographs below. The break in right down the middle of the weld. Futhermore, when one takes a closer look at the weld it is clear that the weld had zero penetration for the majority of the welded area. "This all makes perfect sense now. This thing came apart on me at the top of turn one just as I was counter steering at well over 100 miles an hour entering the turn."

Current owners of the 2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000 may want to have their frame welds inspected for defects.

1Tail.com will present the broken frame for inspection to the director of roadracing for the AMA at the event at PPIR later today.

Full Story @ 1tail.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
Though good to know. Will keep an eye out and look into it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow, I wonder....

Is the GSXR1300 frame the same frame as the 1K ? This post really concerns me !

:pat:
Steve.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stevnmd said:
Not even close!

Oh, and I see NOTHING about a recall...
Hasn't been made "official yet". When I was at the races today, I even asked the Suzuki rep, they said they know and should shortly be announcing the recall.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Sounds like it is time to dump those GSXRs and buy a real bike - Yamaha, who by the way has a much better welding program.. Better do it quick before the recall and the value drops to basement bottom..

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
:yikes: I would be a bit worried right about now!! That is if, there is any truth to the matter... :nonod:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
well if there was one welded like that im sure there are more. but that weld sucked, could have done better with a bottle of JB WELD lol, on a serious not i would be worried if i bought one, that frame got really messed up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Frame Recall

I Have An 05 Gsxr 1k,@ 3 Months Now. I Do Endos,wheelies, And Ride The **** Out Off This Beast. The Frame On Any Bike Would Crack If You Hit A Wall At Over 100 Mph. Its Too Early To Determine The Cause,and Point Fingers. That Suzuki Rep ,would Have Been Fired At My Job For Releasing That Info. Without Knowing The Facts. Still I Hope It Was An Isolated One.

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Dangit, ive been lookin all over but can't find it. This was a topic on another forum a few weeks back, and after reviewing the crash footage it was determined he simply lost the front end in the corner and the broken weld was a result of the massive flips that the bike did in the crash. Ill keep looking and if I find where this was at I will post the link. There is no recall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Frame Recall

pickle.of.doom said:
Dangit, ive been lookin all over but can't find it. This was a topic on another forum a few weeks back, and after reviewing the crash footage it was determined he simply lost the front end in the corner and the broken weld was a result of the massive flips that the bike did in the crash. Ill keep looking and if I find where this was at I will post the link. There is no recall.
THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!......PICKLE, GOOD WORK!!! I SAW IT ON SPORTBIKE WEBSITE, THEY ATTRIBUTE IT TO HIM WASHING OUT FRONT END AND CRASHING. THE RIMS HAD BROKEN OFF THE HUBS AND THE FORKS WERE TORN APART. SPEEDS WERE WELL OVER 100+.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts