Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just in from Kawasaki:



KAWASAKI NINJA® 500R
Quick, nimble and comfortable
The 2005 Kawasaki NINJA® 500R sportbike has all the elements of a great mid-sized
sportbike: torquey parallel twin engine, nimble chassis, comfortable ergonomics and wind
protection, and sleek NINJA styling. It’s also inexpensive to own and operate.
Riders of all skill levels will appreciate the NINJA 500R’s liquid-cooled, inline twincylinder
four-stroke engine. With dual overhead cams actuating four valves per cylinder, the
snappy motor is user-friendly and inspirational. Indeed, exploring the top end of this engine’s rev
range is entertaining for even the most seasoned riders.
The high-performance engine isn't the only selling point for the NINJA 500R. On twisty
back roads, the bike’s lightweight, compact design makes for a great-handling machine. This is
complemented by Kawasaki’s UNI-TRAK® progressive rear suspension system, standard fare
on the larger-displacement NINJA models.
The NINJA 500R also has the sporty styling of its larger siblings, which contribute to
both form and function—the aerodynamic half-fairing provides wind protection for the rider, and
is stylishly complemented by a lower fairing.
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers or they can be
purchased on the Internet at www.buykawasaki.com.




Features and Benefits
Twin-cylinder 498cc Engine
Compact parallel-twin design
Superior engineering produces sportbike power with broad usable torque
Liquid Cooling
Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use
Includes temperature gauge
Auxiliary Cooling Fan
Maintains optimum temperature for best performance, fuel economy and reliability
Four Valves per Cylinder
Better breathing for more power at high rpm
Compact combustion chamber for increased compression ratio without detonation on today’s gasolines
Boosts low-end torque
Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow
34mm CVK Semi-flat Slide Carburetors
Precise fuel metering provides uniform power delivery at all engine speeds
Quick throttle response
Digital Ignition
Microprocessor-controlled timing never needs adjustment
Ultra-responsive to engine needs
Six-speed Transmission
Provides excellent acceleration and relaxed highway cruising
Positive Neutral Finder
Just lift the shift pedal from first at a stop to find neutral easily, every time
A Kawasaki exclusive
Standard Half Fairing
Offers rider wind protection for more comfort
Incorporates large, easy-to-read instruments with dual trip meters
Double-cradle Steel Box-section Frame
Lightweight, with superior rigidity for more precise handling and better control
Centerstand included for convenience
37mm Front Fork
Large-diameter fork tubes with thin walls for light weight and exceptional rigidity
Front Disc Brake with Dual-piston Caliper
Disc is drilled for better cooling and reduced unsprung weight
Dual-piston caliper increases braking effectiveness
Rear Disc Brake
Powerful and controllable
Single-piston caliper
Bottom-link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension
Lowers the center of gravity for better handling
Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride
Lightweight aluminum components provide quick suspension response
17-inch Wheels
Wide, modern 17-inch rims fit low-profile, high-performance tires




2005 KAWASAKI NINJA® 500R SPECIFICATIONS*
Engine Four-stroke, DOHC, parallel twin
Displacement 498cc
Starting Electric
Bore x stroke 74.0 x 58.0mm
Compression ratio 10.8:1
Cooling Liquid
Carburetion Keihin CVK34 x 2
Ignition TCBI with digital advance
Transmission Six-speed
Frame High-tensile steel, perimeter design
Rake / trail 27° / 3.6 in.
Suspension type, front 37mm hydraulic telescopic fork
Suspension type, rear UNI-TRAK® system with single shock
Wheel travel, front 5.1 in.
Wheel travel, rear 3.9 in.
Tire, front 11/70 x 17 tubeless
Tire, rear 130/70 x 17 tubeless
Brakes, front / rear Hydraulic disc / Disc
Overall length 82.5 in.
Overall width 27.6 in.
Overall height 45.7 in.
Ground clearance 4.7 in.
Seat height 30.5 in.
Dry weight 388 lbs.
Fuel capacity 4.8 gal.
Wheelbase 56.5 in.
Color Ebony/Metallic Graystone, Candy Thunder
Blue/Ebony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Just signed my wife up for the MSF course today, and most likely looking at one of these for her, in the spring...lightweight,comfortable, easy to handle, and enough power for her, but not too much, being a new rider and all.

Would like to see this bike with more bodywork though, not so naked..but thats just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
unless your a very inexperienced rider, or alittle on the shorter side..you'd be more apt to go with the 500..its about the same height as the 250, and has alittle more juice to it... 500 is a nice size for cruisin town, and has enough to get you thru traffic without having to pull a Fred Flintstone. :D :thumbs:
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
I had a 98 ex500 and it was a great bike. Great starter bike. You can get a jet kit and pipe from Muzzy and it helps out quite a bit. Targa makes a nice lower fairing as well. But overall, Kaw hasn't changed this bike much over the last 10 years. I guess why mess with what works. It is still a great seller.

As a side note, I have a buddy in Michigan selling a really nice used one. His wife wants to upgrade to something else so they're getting rid of it. Email me if anybody is interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
I had a 98 ex500 and it was a great bike. Great starter bike. You can get a jet kit and pipe from Muzzy and it helps out quite a bit. Targa makes a nice lower fairing as well. But overall, Kaw hasn't changed this bike much over the last 10 years. I guess why mess with what works. It is still a great seller.

As a side note, I have a buddy in Michigan selling a really nice used one. His wife wants to upgrade to something else so they're getting rid of it. Email me if anybody is interested.
My wife is taking the MSF beginner course this october, and we'll be looking for a bike..so far its looking like the only sport bikes that she's going to be able to feel in-control-of and comfortable on, is an EX500 or maybe a nicely used Bandit,GS500...do you know how tall your friends wife is. My other half is 5'4", and unfortunately can barely touch the ground on my 750 Kat, & forget about it on my 83 Yamaha.

Thanks in advance for the info, Im thinking the EX500 will be the way to go for her.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
My wife is taking the MSF beginner course this october, and we'll be looking for a bike..so far its looking like the only sport bikes that she's going to be able to feel in-control-of and comfortable on, is an EX500 or maybe a nicely used Bandit,GS500...do you know how tall your friends wife is. My other half is 5'4", and unfortunately can barely touch the ground on my 750 Kat, & forget about it on my 83 Yamaha.

Thanks in advance for the info, Im thinking the EX500 will be the way to go for her.

Not only that, it's only a 500. She can't get into too much trouble on a 500.... can she? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Not only that, it's only a 500. She can't get into too much trouble on a 500.... can she? :p
In theory, no she cant..however this is the woman got a ticket 2 months ago for doing 65 in a 40, in our neon..and got a warning 3 days ago for doing 57 in a 40....... :nonod: ..and she loves to go fast when riding with me, so now, you tell me.. :smilelol: Thank goodness its only a 500..

she's actually a very good driver, just likes to go fast. ;)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,104 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
she's actually a very good driver, just likes to go fast. ;)

Believe me there is no correlation between a good driver and speed. Look at AMA Superbike, or any racing for that matter. Those guys are excellent AND they go fast.

Any squid can bury the needle, that doesn't mean he's a good driver.

I'm complimenting your wife, BTW. :)
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
My wife is taking the MSF beginner course this october, and we'll be looking for a bike..so far its looking like the only sport bikes that she's going to be able to feel in-control-of and comfortable on, is an EX500 or maybe a nicely used Bandit,GS500...do you know how tall your friends wife is. My other half is 5'4", and unfortunately can barely touch the ground on my 750 Kat, & forget about it on my 83 Yamaha.

Thanks in advance for the info, Im thinking the EX500 will be the way to go for her.
The guys wife is like 5'2" or there abouts. They also lowered it a bit so it would fit her better. Her husband custom made of set of stainless steel dog bones for the rear shock. He still has the OE dog bones in case the new owner would want them. I'll get the rest of the info on the bike and post it.

Of coarse the bike is in Michigan if that hurts the deal any!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep in mind..I'll let the other half know about it too...traveling isnt a big deal..a buddy of mine just went out to indiana to pick up Gixxer 750 he bought off ebay.

She's about the same height as my wife, so something that size would definately do her well :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Thanks, I'll keep in mind..I'll let the other half know about it too...traveling isnt a big deal..a buddy of mine just went out to indiana to pick up Gixxer 750 he bought off ebay.

She's about the same height as my wife, so something that size would definately do her well :thumbs:

Long rides or drives are not a problem for me. When I went out there to get the bike, it was 10 hrs there that I did straight through. I worked all day and left work around 9pm and drove all the way there and only stoped for gas and a snack. I was wanting to get there and get the bike quickly. :) On the way back it took me about 12 hrs and only pulled off the road due to it being 4am and I think the truckers on the road should pull off at that time and sleep since they were all over the road and made it hard to pass when the keep coming over into more then half of my lane. Anyways, I got it back safe and now riding it as much as possable. :D
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Thanks, I'll keep in mind..I'll let the other half know about it too...traveling isnt a big deal..a buddy of mine just went out to indiana to pick up Gixxer 750 he bought off ebay.

She's about the same height as my wife, so something that size would definately do her well :thumbs:
Here ya go if you're looking for a EX500. This guy is maticulus (sp?) as you know what and the bike is super clean, I know I was riding in front of and behind the bike Sat.

For sale 2000 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja. 5,900 miles and very well maintained. Like new condition. New tires, brakes and tinted windscreen. $3,300 or best offer. :bike:
734-748-5063 or 734-595-0489 ask for Greg or Kat...tell them Chris sent ya! Hope it helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
Gas Man said:
Here ya go if you're looking for a EX500. This guy is maticulus (sp?) as you know what and the bike is super clean, I know I was riding in front of and behind the bike Sat.

For sale 2000 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja. 5,900 miles and very well maintained. Like new condition. New tires, brakes and tinted windscreen. $3,300 or best offer. :bike:
734-748-5063 ask for Greg...tell him Chris sent ya! Hope it helps!

Thanks for the info Chris! ...I'll talk to the other half and see what she thinks.
 

·
V-Twin Moddin
Joined
·
38,916 Posts
Need4Speed750 said:
Thanks for the info Chris! ...I'll talk to the other half and see what she thinks.
Some pics...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,263 Posts
I guess they're thinking..why mess with perfection ?? :confused: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
ShanMan14 said:
Not only that, it's only a 500. She can't get into too much trouble on a 500.... can she? :p
Mate, my 250 can kick 95% of the cars out there.

The slower bikes are still damn quick :devilange
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top