Two Wheel Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has come up before. I have a 99 R6. When I bought the bike, the guy I bought it from said that he had to change second gear. I understand that second gear is the one that usually goes out as people miss this gear the most, usually hitting nuetral, then revving up and slamming into second.

Well, I don't know if he did this himself and didn't do it right, or if he paid somebody to do it and didn't pay enough, but the problem is this: under hard acceleration in second gear, the bike acts like it is jumping a tooth on the chain. This happens only in second gear, and only under hard acceleration. If I take it easy, no problems whatsoever. Has this happened to anyone else? What exactly is wrong? I consider myself a competent mechanic and would not be afraid to tear into the transmission. I have a factory service manual, but I would like to know what to look for when I get in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get this taken care of before the really good riding weather gets here.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
955 Posts
pretty major job..engine has to be pulled and the cases split. basicly the engine has to come apart since the tranny is in there....i could tear engines apart in no time...its the putting back together thing that gets complicated...

but really, its a pretty big job to change gears or shift forks in there...sorry

·
Registered
955 Posts
twisty said:
Or you can got the EVO star from "Factory". My gixxers are being upgraded with cool part. Not sure if they make it for the R6 but I would interested in getting for my Race R6 aswell
not sure what the evo star is,,,,,do you mean the heavy duty detent spring from factory, (shift kit) that only helps to make sue that the transmission clicks into gear more positively than the stock spring...his sounds like a tooth missing in the transmission gear itself.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Typical R6 problem - second gear sucks. I haven't had any problems with mine but once in awhile I can feel it just ain't right. Your best bet is to go discuss this on the messagenet - lots of people there can help you.

R6 Messagenet

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
GsxrJack said:
pretty major job..engine has to be pulled and the cases split. basicly the engine has to come apart since the tranny is in there....i could tear engines apart in no time...its the putting back together thing that gets complicated...

but really, its a pretty big job to change gears or shift forks in there...sorry
I woundnt be scared of it tho. Whats the worst you could do?

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
I love taking bikes apart!! It's fun!!!

But I think Jack is right...sounds like something major. You could also just buy another motor/tranny off a junk yard or EBay. Just swap out motors!!!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Gas Man said:
I love taking bikes apart!! It's fun!!!

But I think Jack is right...sounds like something major. You could also just buy another motor/tranny off a junk yard or EBay. Just swap out motors!!!
Its about the same price! If you can do it you self!
I took a GS 750 apart and had to enlist help to put Humpty back together again. :sob: Allot tougher than I thought.
It was a learning experience and have been successful on a F3 and one GSXR 600.

·
Registered
955 Posts
No Worries said:
I thought R6's had a cassette trans that could be easily swapped. Does that mean that the cases don't have to be split?
never hear that, would be neat if thats correct...or just that they have so much trouble with their tranny that they made it easier to fix

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
No Worries said:
I thought R6's had a cassette trans that could be easily swapped. Does that mean that the cases don't have to be split?

I was reading my service manual last night and your right. I will post the diagram tonight. The trans can be removed from the block without having to open the motor.

You will have to take the motor off the bike tho.

·
Registered
955 Posts
twisty said:
I was reading my service manual last night and your right. I will post the diagram tonight. The trans can be removed from the block without having to open the motor.

You will have to take the motor off the bike tho.
thats real nice, at least you dont have to split the cases...makes the job sort of easy...sort of

id like to see the diagram of that also..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help. I have a service manual myself and I guess that it will be my nighttime reading material for the next couple of days. I need to look through it when I get home tonight. I have had a dirtbike engine/trans apart before, so I get the general idea of how it works.

Am I going to cause more problems by driving the bike? Is there a broken chunk of a gear floating around in there that is going to bust everything else up?

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
BUMP!! i am having similar probs on the f3, second gear is almost non existant, i just shift to third, but at low speeds i can use 2nd till about 4000 then it seems like it is missing, i talked to a shop and they said 750-1000 to pull it out and look it over and opinions ?

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
drewpy said:
BUMP!! i am having similar probs on the f3, second gear is almost non existant, i just shift to third, but at low speeds i can use 2nd till about 4000 then it seems like it is missing, i talked to a shop and they said 750-1000 to pull it out and look it over and opinions ?
On my F3 it was the shift fork. I also found a cracked clutch basket while I was doing the job. It would shift into second but, if you let off the gas or twisted it hard. It would pop out.

The parts are cheap but the labor will suck. :luck:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
double2000r6 said:
Typical R6 problem - second gear sucks. I haven't had any problems with mine but once in awhile I can feel it just ain't right. Your best bet is to go discuss this on the messagenet - lots of people there can help you.

R6 Messagenet
Yeah, that's a great R6 forum. Something like 8000 members. TWF still kicks ass though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts