Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After about 400 miles of riding I have a few questions.:willy:
This riding includes traffic riding, twisties and Interstate riding.
......:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:......
1st – I need advice on clutch, throttle timing. My shifts are not as smooth as I would like. :nonod:

2nd – I need to find the right way to down shift and brake in time to make sharp turns on to side streets. I just feel uncomfortable with this and the bike seems to jerk when I let off the brakes before I turn. :willy:

3rd – Only twisties I have a problem with are what I call 90 degree blind turns.:here: We rode this back road Sat and Sun. This one corner ate me up both days. I never went down :angelhap:, but I had to go into the other lane :yikes: a little, both days. Sunday I did better. No worries, no cars on this road, but that is not the point.

I think my biggest problem is trusting the bike. I think this is because I am still getting us to eveything. :2cents:
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
3 very good questions.

Lets start with question 3. On any sharp turn or curve, never look right in front of you. Look to where you want to go. The bike will go where you are looking. So if you are on a road you know and riding it for the 2nd or 3rd time on the bike, look through the turn or curve. When you stop looking through it is when you will start to drift across the lines.

Question 1: When are you shifting. At what RPM's? If you are riding hard and fast, I normally shift about 10grand on the tach. More around 12 or 13. If I am riding normal, 8-10 grand.

Question 2: When coming to a curve or a sharp twisty that you know, I normal don't use to much brake if any at all. I let my down shifting do it for me. If its on I am used to, I down shift just enought before I get to it and once I am in the curve, apply throttle and roll through it.

I hope this helps. Wait for Gas Mans reply as well. He'll tell you all about it. :dthumb: Just remember, always ride in your limits and not of your group. You are the only one that knows how far you can take your bike and yourself. :cheers:

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
3 very good questions.

Lets start with question 3. On any sharp turn or curve, never look right in front of you. Look to where you want to go. The bike will go where you are looking. So if you are on a road you know and riding it for the 2nd or 3rd time on the bike, look through the turn or curve. When you stop looking through it is when you will start to drift across the lines.

Question 1: When are you shifting. At what RPM's? If you are riding hard and fast, I normally shift about 10grand on the tach. More around 12 or 13. If I am riding normal, 8-10 grand.

Question 2: When coming to a curve or a sharp twisty that you know, I normal don't use to much brake if any at all. I let my down shifting do it for me. If its on I am used to, I down shift just enought before I get to it and once I am in the curve, apply throttle and roll through it.

I hope this helps. Wait for Gas Mans reply as well. He'll tell you all about it. :dthumb: Just remember, always ride in your limits and not of your group. You are the only one that knows how far you can take your bike and yourself. :cheers:
:iagree:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
A little advice for the third question. I'm not sure if you're familiar w/ the term "counter steering" or not but this is a big factor in steering MC's. To get the feeling of it head down a road going straight at about 45 or so. It will work at all speeds but I'm using this for an example. Now gently push the left clip-on. Don't push it too hard. If you move it a little bit you'll notice that the bike will lean to the left the harder you push on the left bar. It's called counter steering because you're turning the bars to the right but you're leaning left. This combined with body lean is how to initiate turns and leaning. I've heard stories about people trying to turn right by turning the bars right and they end up going off the road because that's not how MC's turn, copy
? Now if you find yourself going wide on a turn don't panic and just lean more. Never look at the oncoming object (whether a car or the outside edge of the road) because you will hit it. If you're going wide focus on the inside edge and lean more. Use the counter steer technique to help you lean more. Your body will need to lean more as well. Never use your front brake in the middile of a turn. This will cause your bike to straighten up and you will stop turning and start going straight. I'm at work and will have to answer the other two later but I'm sure someone else will chime in and help you out. If you have any questions just ask. :thumbs:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSXR750DJ said:
Lets start with question 3. On any sharp turn or curve, never look right in front of you. Look to where you want to go. The bike will go where you are looking. So if you are on a road you know and riding it for the 2nd or 3rd time on the bike, look through the turn or curve. When you stop looking through it is when you will start to drift across the lines.:
I always look through curves, the old Where You Look Is Where You Go
The problem with this corner is that I can not look through it, due to the radius of the turn and the high grass :(

GSXR750DJ said:
Question 1: When are you shifting. At what RPM's? If you are riding hard and fast, I normally shift about 10grand on the tach. More around 12 or 13. If I am riding normal, 8-10 grand. :
6-8 grand normally, I have played with shifting in the 8-11 grand range but shifts are still rough. Back tires seems to shake a little when I shift at higher RPM's.

Thanks for the :help:
Oh not sure if it matters, but I ride the GSXR 600...not the 1000 (that is the S/0's)

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
I'd just follow the inside edge on a turn like that. If your back tire is shaking a little try giving it more gas at the time you release the clutch. So you match engine speed with the road speed. Once you get confident with shifting you should try clutchless shifting, it's a lot smoother.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DLITALIEN said:
A little advice for the third question. I'm not sure if you're familiar w/ the term "counter steering" or not but this is a big factor in steering MC's. :
Yes I am familiar with counter steering.
DLITALIEN said:
Now if you find yourself going wide on a turn don't panic and just lean more. Never look at the oncoming object (whether a car or the outside edge of the road) because you will hit it. If you're going wide focus on the inside edge and lean more. Use the counter steer technique to help you lean more. Your body will need to lean more as well. :
Sat there was no car there and I went wide :(.
Sun there was a car..I did panic a little, because I knew this corner kicked my butt on Sat...I glance at the car (I know target fixation is a very bad thing when riding) and then I looked to the inside of the corner. But, I still drifted, so I think I need to press a little more and lean a little more.

Thanks for the :help:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DLITALIEN said:
I'd just follow the inside edge on a turn like that.
:thumbs:

DLITALIEN said:
If your back tire is shaking a little try giving it more gas at the time you release the clutch. So you match engine speed with the road speed.
I will try that :yesnod:

·
Registered
17,886 Posts
Yeah, just press a little more. You could try taking it a little slower and just ease on the throttle the whole turn until you get confident. Take your time it will come and you'll be taking it pretty quick. i know I used to freak taking turns at like 70 but those same turns I take at 130 now. It's all about being comfortable with the lean. This is where tire confidense helps too.

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
Tweety said:
2nd – I need to find the right way to down shift and brake in time to make sharp turns on to side streets. I just feel uncomfortable with this and the bike seems to jerk when I let off the brakes before I turn. :willy:
Make sure you have the clutch pulled in all the way.
Are you backing off the gas all the way?
If you have just a little gas on during a slow shift, it could cause the jerk.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
:iagree: , and also roll back on that throttle thru out the turn, that will really keep you smooth through out the turn. Down shift before you get to the turn, and roll back on the throttle going thru the turn the G-Forces will keep you tight and plenty off speed all the way.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
Tweety said:
After about 400 miles of riding I have a few questions.:willy:
This riding includes traffic riding, twisties and Interstate riding.
......:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:...:help:......
1st – I need advice on clutch, throttle timing. My shifts are not as smooth as I would like. :nonod:

3rd – Only twisties I have a problem with are what I call 90 degree blind turns.:here: We rode this back road Sat and Sun. This one corner ate me up both days. I never went down :angelhap:, but I had to go into the other lane :yikes: a little, both days. Sunday I did better. No worries, no cars on this road, but that is not the point.

I think my biggest problem is trusting the bike. I think this is because I am still getting us to eveything. :2cents:
Thanks in advance
your bike can lean more then you think ....its something you should trust but not whant to use....if that makes sence.......if you think you are goin to the otjher lane lean a lil more :thumbs:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
jeeps84 said:
surprisingly :iagree: :scratch: :lol:
shi t you were suprized.... my jaw dropped when i re read what i wrote :lol: im gettin smutur

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
There's some very tight switchbacks on my favorite mountain. Like hooking two of your 90 degree turns together. Have to slow down from 40 MPH to 15. The problem is that a tight 15 MPH curve is right at the transition point from actually turning the handlebar to counter steering. Add the steepness of the hill, plus the gravel that the huge SUV's kick on the road from cutting the corner, and you have a hairy situation.

When I see new riders practice turns in the parking lot, they are usually at 15 MPH. They are able to turn the handlebar. But speed up a little and you have to countersteer. A lot of slow turns are a little bit of both. Just have to practice. And you would be surprised how far you can lean these bikes, so don't cross over the centerline again.

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
No Worries said:
There's some very tight switchbacks on my favorite mountain. Like hooking two of your 90 degree turns together. Have to slow down from 40 MPH to 15. The problem is that a tight 15 MPH curve is right at the transition point from actually turning the handlebar to counter steering. Add the steepness of the hill, plus the gravel that the huge SUV's kick on the road from cutting the corner, and you have a hairy situation.

When I see new riders practice turns in the parking lot, they are usually at 15 MPH. They are able to turn the handlebar. But speed up a little and you have to countersteer. A lot of slow turns are a little bit of both. Just have to practice. And you would be surprised how far you can lean these bikes, so don't cross over the centerline again.
:withstupi that can get ugly fast esspeciallt if it is a blind turn

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Here is a 90 degree turn at speed!
that thurs a lean :drool:

·
Banned
3,078 Posts
jeeps84 said:
Trust your bike! :dthumb: