Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up - A Breakthrough Motorcycle for Paraplegics
Innovators of the world's first Heads Up displays for motorcycles bring technology to a special motorcycle - for paraplegics.

(PRWEB) May 11, 2005 -- An exciting new project is combining cutting-edge technology with a passion for helping the physically disabled. Powerful, patented Heads Up display technology will soon be integrated onto a specially-engineered motorcycle designed for paraplegics.

Motion Research Corporation, creators of the SportVue Heads Up display for motorcycles, is proud to announce the project, currently in development at the University of Western Australia. Motion Research’s SportVue Heads Up system will allow the rider to access critical data in a real-time display right inside the helmet. The rider will see speed, rpm, gear position, and check important systems – all without having to glance down at the dashboard.

The SportVue Heads Up display unit is mounted to the helmet; a wheel sensor and sending unit are attached to the bike. The specially-modified Honda includes stabilizers that deploy to hold the bike upright when the rider slows down or stops. The finished project will be a prototype that could lead to a dream come true for many paraplegics – the chance to ride a motorcycle.

Motion Research Corporation is the innovator of the world’s first consumer Heads Up display technology. SportVue MC1 is now available for use by all motorcyclists. It’s available on-line at www.sportvue.com.

Source

·
Banned
6,147 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that maybe paraplegics should not be out tooling around on trikes or other bikes. It's not a rights issue, but a common sense issue. motorcycles are hard enough to control with 4 working limbs

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
bumblebee said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that maybe paraplegics should not be out tooling around on trikes or other bikes. It's not a rights issue, but a common sense issue. motorcycles are hard enough to control with 4 working limbs
I'm with ya... why don't they invent a way for these poor people to operate a PS2 or XBox controller... that would be much safer for all involved parties!

·
Registered
387 Posts
$329. for the HUD! If they ever make a model that includes or ties in with a radar detector im sold! :dthumb:

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Gas Man said:
I'm with ya... why don't they invent a way for these poor people to operate a PS2 or XBox controller... that would be much safer for all involved parties!

I know someone that has this type of set up almost for his 32 hot rod that he has. He was a truck driver and the company he worked for didn't check his tires correctly and they blew causing him to not be able to use his waist down. He sued his company and won and then the tire company as well and won that too. After everything was done, he won over $18 million and was able to get a nice set up like a PS2 controll or XBox to operate the gas and brakes. Its a pretty sweet set up he has.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
DJ, I'd like to see that setup!

·
Moderator , Lifetime Gold Supporting Member, '07 R
20,168 Posts
There was a paraplegic guy ridding at the track on my last trip.
His brother helped him on and off the bike.
He had a device that he could put down on a start/stop.
It looked like (for lack of better visual) 1/2 a walker mounted to the tail.
It had a lever he could operate it and a paddle shifter for the gears. (I think it was air)

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Really I would love to see a pic of that Jeeps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts