Two Wheel Forums banner

? about titles

1K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Gas Man 
#1 ·
how hard is it to title a bike , if the bike doesnt have a title?

#3 ·
The bike has to have a title somwhere. Is it new or used? If its new, its possible that its not titled yet. Other than that chances are, no title=stolen.

My suggestion is to call your DMV or go in and find out the story on the bike. Also you can try a title company like I did and they do it for you for a small fee.

:luck: with that

#5 ·
Cutie4gsxr750 said:
well someone has a bike for sale but doesnt have the title for it, they lost or something.. how much was the fee?
Go to your county clerk or have the person selling the bike go to the county clerk and request a duplicate title. It takes a while for it to come in also.

#13 ·
don't pay that fee tho!! make the person selling the bike pay any fees to get the duplicate title...if they want the bike sold then they have to have the title anyway...thats the sellers responsibility...unless you are almost given the bike or something...i wouldn't pay for the sellers title.

#16 ·
I agree, never buy a bike without a title. However, when I got my first bike from my uncle many years ago (1982 Suzuki 250...nice) we couldn't find the title so I just had a bill of sale. All I had to do was get a VIN inspection at the local police station and take it to the DMV. They filled out the application for lost title right there and I got it in the mail a couple weeks later.

Just thought I would chime in since I did mine a little different than what was already mentioned.

#18 ·
If the bike is registered in the sellers name. They wont have any trouble getting a new title. If they refuse. Forget about that bike.
If it is a salvage rebuild. They will need to send you a bill of sale for the frame and motor. Then they or you will have to have the bike inspected by the DMV and get a new title.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.