Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always heard(before i got my `1000) that literbikes were dangerous because in a corner theyd spin the rear or pull a wheel up.
I'ven everh ad that problem even when coming out hard. But tonight it was pretty cold, prob low 40's and i had just got to the first real corner... normal light style turn, took it at 25 and when i was coming out i hit the gas and sure enough, Tire spun and the bike just slid through, it was actually cool, it didnt make me nervous and never felt out of control, it prob slid a couple feet, maybe one rotation. It was actually cool..lol Not something i'm ever gonna try to do, but i guess all the rear slides i had this winter hitting snow spots paid off since it was just a nusiance not a accident. Funny thing is i watched FASTER tonight... good movie, and was a bit inspirational in my night ride i must admit.

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
Yep spinning is cool.....

Oh, you mean your back tire..not the cycle work out at the GYM... well I guess that's cool too! :D

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
twisty said:
once you get some skillz underneath you, you'll be able to do when ever you want.
I do have SOME skillz underneath me since i did it comfortably. But i think the only reason i did it was because the tire was still cold, it had a block worth of straight line warm up at 25mph.. the tire was probably 45-50 degrees..... Next time i'll let it warm a bit more before i corner hard... But it was fun for sure. I did it alot this winter in the snow moving the bike and just out playing in the snow on my 500.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
lol this reminds me, like right b4 winter when it was like 30 degrees out i took my step dads bike to get gas in it to store it for the winter. keep in mind its a zx12r, i pull out in front of my house, tire is frozen cold, i jump on it not thinkin, i the tire breaks loose like i was on ice. lol that one puckered me right up.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
ScottSellersUNR said:
I do have SOME skillz underneath me since i did it comfortably. But i think the only reason i did it was because the tire was still cold, it had a block worth of straight line warm up at 25mph.. the tire was probably 45-50 degrees..... Next time i'll let it warm a bit more before i corner hard... But it was fun for sure. I did it alot this winter in the snow moving the bike and just out playing in the snow on my 500.
The fastest way to warm a motorcycle tire is hard acceleration and braking in a straight line. Tires warm from the center core outward. Swerving back and forth does nothing but make you look like you getting ready for a nascar race. :wink:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i have to do some swearving to get all the dirt off my tire from having to drive out a dirt alley.

·
Registered
941 Posts
twisty said:
The fastest way to warm a motorcycle tire is hard acceleration and braking in a straight line. Tires warm from the center core outward. Swerving back and forth does nothing but make you look like you getting ready for a nascar race. :wink:
NASCAR RULES!!! THANKS FOR BRING IT UP TWISTY. YOU WOULD KNOW ABOUT TIRE WARMING IN NASCAR. YOU WATCH THAT STUFF ALL THE TIME!!!!

·
Contest Winner, '07 Rally Veteran , November 2007
7,649 Posts
TURN LEFT!! :jacked:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
The tire actually warms up from the speeding up and slowing down of the tread as it pass over the concrete... the tire basically expands and contracts... it's kinda cool... I read a article on it once... maybe motor cyclist magaizine.... not sure... but it explained it really well... so in a nut shell what Twisty said is right... but I would also say that swerving will also heat up the sides a bit....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts