Two Wheel Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
10,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I was going to install a powered roof vent for my attic. I went up on the roof and discovered the pitch is considerably more steep than any roof I've ever been on. Since I needed to cut a hole in the roof and there is nothing to hang onto, I just paid some roofing guys (already working in the neighborhood) $50 to install. I then vowed never to get on that roof again.

Fast forward to Hurricane Ivan…

Ivan blows through with 55MPH gusts and I figured this would be a good test to make sure the new vent, now installed for about two months, is not leaking. Before I can get to that part of the attic, I see water dripping from the ridge vents and the exhaust for my natural gas water heater is dripping badly. The good news is the powered vent was dry, the bad news is I had to place a bucket under the water heater vent.

So, on Sunday I went and got some roofing tar (tube) and thought I'd get on the roof to fix whatever was wrong. I figured, I've been on a half dozen roofs and I can't be afraid to get on my own. Bad idea.

Aside from the shingles being hot enough to actually burn my forearm, the same pitch problem that scared me before was worse this time. It was worse because before I even left the ladder I was slipping on the little "rocks" in the shingles. I couldn't get any traction. I had to sprawl out and increase the surface area to even move up the roof. Despite that, I kept going as gravity literally pulled me down.

I made it up, did what I had to do and then looked down. I was grabbing onto the ridge vents to keep me from sliding down. As soon as I let go, I just started sliding. :eek: I moved down in two inch increments sprawled on my back to keep me from sliding. Terrified the whole time; concrete driveway below.

I made it down with a scalded forearm and a near heart attack. So, I say it again. I'll never go on that roof. I'll pay whatever it takes to have someone else go up there.

All of that and the leaks were only a result of the sideways wind and rain. Under normal raining conditions, none of it would have leaked.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
double2000r6 said:
I am afraid of heights and I prefer to do my work on the ground...

$hit. I jump out of planes for fun. 20,000ft Everything looks... hell, you can't see anything up that high at night to begin with. :lol:

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
GSXR750DJ said:
$hit. I jump out of planes for fun. 20,000ft Everything looks... hell, you can't see anything up that high at night to begin with. :lol:
O, YEAH!! I did that once and it ROCKED like things are suppose to!!!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
No I did it tandem, it sucks when you think about it, but as soon as you step out the plane you really don't notice the other jumper behind you...it rocked! I even got a video from it. They had a video guy jump out before us with a camera on his head...it's so cool!!!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Cool. Wait till you get to free fall by yourself for 10,000 ft. Now that is a rush. You think going 160mph on a bike is fun. Try 250+ free fall. That ROCKS. :dthumb:

·
First 1000 Member, March 2008 BOTM Winner!
4,183 Posts
Roofs... scary stuff! I was redoing the shingles on my grandpa's garage for him a couple years back... was squatting and hammering, and next thing I know I'm just sliding quickly towards the edge.. feet just slipped out and down I was goin, layin on my stomach and feet first.. slammed the claw end of my hammer down so hard to catch myself that it went right through the layer of plywood and ripped out the electricity inside. Had to do a lot more than just shingles after that.

The culprit? I set my foot in a big ol pile of bird crap... slippery stuff!

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
3BoyzNaBike said:
we see the affects that is has on some people
Ok ok I never landed on my head. I have landed on my ares a few times. So I guess that is almost the same thing seeing how my head is there most of the time. :lol: :crazy: :D

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Pippi said:
What is the pitch of your roof? You needed a chicken ladder! But much better to let the professionals handle it!
WHAT UP PIPPI!! Good to see you made it to the "dark side" they like to call TWF. For those of you that don't know Pippi she is one of the baddest (censored for political correctness - insert female type name here) that I know - how many women do you know that ride a GSXR 1000 AND ride it very well? She is also Twisty's much better half.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
double2000r6 said:
WHAT UP PIPPI!! Good to see you made it to the "dark side" they like to call TWF. For those of you that don't know Pippi she is one of the baddest (censored for political correctness - insert female type name here) that I know - how many women do you know that ride a GSXR 1000 AND ride it very well? She is also Twisty's much better half.

Yeah, we're the dark side, but that's thanks to WOS joining up over here. :lol:

Lets see, so that makes 3 TWF/WOS members "better-halfs" here, correct...Rock on Women riders are the shiznit!!

·
V-Twin Moddin
38,916 Posts
double2000r6 said:
Yes, that is soooo true...Twisty's better half!! :lol: Not to mention that with as small/light as she is the hp to weight ratio is WAY up!! You can take a look on the WOS site under profiles...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.